10 Cloverfield Lane

Started by mirth, March 07, 2016, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on March 08, 2016, 11:47:08 AM
Success! Down with bearded hipster doofuses!!

So you don't like Mary Elizabeth Winstead either?

undercovergeek

Is it tied in to the monster movie?

Gusington

^Yes.

Not sure about Mary. Physically I see nothing not to like.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 08, 2016, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 08, 2016, 11:47:08 AM
Success! Down with bearded hipster doofuses!!

So you don't like Mary Elizabeth Winstead either?

I've actually seen her major movies:
Sky High - great job!
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Excellent!
Live Free or Die Hard - awesome movie.  No idea what she did in the movie - but it was an awesome movie.

We own all three of these.

JasonPratt

She got to be McClane's daughter Lucy, with all that that implies. She was a hoot. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

Also enjoyed Cloverfield, but the cutesy misleading title makes me want to ignore Abrams and whatever his new mystery box is.  :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

I dig MEW's big  .... .... brown doe eyes.   :smitten: 

I thought people were overly critical of The Thing remake, with her in the lead.  Of all the recent movie remakes, that was one of the rare few that still managed to keep the feel of the previous movie.  Sure, nobody can replace an awesomely bearded Kurt Russell but she didn't do bad as the lead.

As for the movie, I would like to see it in the theater.  Not sure if that's gonna happen but perhaps.  I'll probably be disappointed if the end doesn't feature some kind of Lovecraftian monster reveal.  But people are saying the movie is very Hitchcock-like and the mystery building is great.  Also:  John Goodman.

Gusington

Fat or not I love John Goodman as well. I am just thankful he's still actually alive!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Just watched Revenge Of the Nerds the other day for the first time in 30 years.  I had forgotten John Goodman was the coach of the Alpha Betas.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

He's young and relatively svelte in that too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I totally forgot about that
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

IIRC, Goodman was actually a male model when he was in his 20's.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Saw the film today mainly as a way to avoid retarded drunken Brits during Songkran in Bangkok.  It wasn't very good.  The first two thirds are all shot in a bunker and the ingredients were there to make it interesting (is Goodman's character crazy?  Is he correct?  Will MEW's character end up damning them all?) but the director mishandled it and it cones off as strictly by the numbers.   The last third was kind of a slasher flick chase sequence and didn't manage to induce any tension.  No real tie-in to the original movie apart from the same sound.  I'm not sure if the stories are supposed to take place in the same universe or not. 

TacticalWargames

First film was so much better..not that there was any link between the two films except the word Cloverfield. It was OK if nothing else is on and you had time to kill.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 13, 2016, 04:16:17 AM
No real tie-in to the original movie apart from the same sound.  I'm not sure if the stories are supposed to take place in the same universe or not.

Boo! 

That's unfortunate.

JasonPratt

There are links between the two films, but those links can only be found on social media; occasionally only by solving puzzles.

John Goodman's character lost his job predicting [spoilers], correctly as it happens. He was working for a conglomerate company whose drilling awakened the Cloverfield monster, which was an infant form of [spoilers].

There is no way however to connect those plots only by watching the movies. The tie-ins are purely meant to be a reward for fan support.

(There are somewhat more dubious connections to the Abrams films Super 8 and Cabin In The Woods, too, although CITW would seem to have a plot antithetical to a shared universe.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!