History, Reference, Research, and GrogTalk > Military (and other) History

Nationalism destroyed all...

<< < (2/6) > >>

LongBlade:

--- Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 08:31:18 AM ---I wouldn't mind being a vampire. My existence wouldn't change much.

But at least I exist. I thank my Great Grandparents for emigrating to the US. If they didn't, there is a 2 out of 3 chance that I would not exist at all. Not great odds.

--- End quote ---

There's a guy at my local game store who has a similar history. He refuses to play anything German or German-esque. I can't say I blame him. He probably wonders a bit about me because I'm playing the Germans in Flames of War and the Prussians in Dystopian Wars (yes, I know, I'll get you some pics here soon).

The ability to separate the horrors of the past from a pastime is the key, though for some I certainly can respect why they would avoid taking the Germans' side.

Gusington:
^It gets more complicated for me since I am partially German ethnically. There are many things I like about what is perceived as 'German-ness.' But of course looming over it all is, well you know.

I have no problem playing as Germans or Austrians in games til around 1932 or so. Then it gets...difficult. Maybe that's why I am fascinated by WWI so much. Less evil than what came after.

MIGMaster:
You are one complex guy Gus - technically you're an ethnically German vampire who likes WWI wargames .....as Sheldon would say "fascinating"

Centurion40:

--- Quote from: LongBlade on February 08, 2012, 10:33:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 08:31:18 AM ---I wouldn't mind being a vampire. My existence wouldn't change much.

But at least I exist. I thank my Great Grandparents for emigrating to the US. If they didn't, there is a 2 out of 3 chance that I would not exist at all. Not great odds.

--- End quote ---

There's a guy at my local game store who has a similar history. He refuses to play anything German or German-esque. I can't say I blame him. He probably wonders a bit about me because I'm playing the Germans in Flames of War and the Prussians in Dystopian Wars (yes, I know, I'll get you some pics here soon).

The ability to separate the horrors of the past from a pastime is the key, though for some I certainly can respect why they would avoid taking the Germans' side.

--- End quote ---

I've known European immigrants who refuse to buy Volkswagens, BMWs, etc.  A guy I knew in university was almost disowned by his parents when he bought a 2nd hand Jetta.

Gusington:
I've owned two VWs and loved them both. My Grandfather owned a Beetle! But he was hesitant to buy a Japanese car and he didn't have any experience in the Pacific. Everyone's different.

MIGMaster - you're telling me. Let me tell you about my relationship with my Dad one day :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version