History, Reference, Research, and GrogTalk > Military (and other) History

Mutiny of black American troops during WW2

<< < (2/2)

Martok:

--- Quote from: LongBlade on February 10, 2012, 02:44:26 PM ---Thanks for posting this. I just forwarded the link to my friend at the WWII Museum. Maybe he can help shed some light.

--- End quote ---

You're welcome, although, primary credit goes to destraex for posting this over at the WG.  I just figured others here would find this an interesting topic as well. 

--- Quote from: LongBlade on February 10, 2012, 05:50:28 PM ---I just got word back from a friend at the museum.

There have been reports of an incident like this that they're aware of, but details are hard to come by, as is verifying them.

The link apparently doesn't reference a specific date, which corroborates the difficulty in determining the if/when/why/who.

It's definitely worth looking into further and hopefully more info will emerge to help clarify the facts of the case.

This website seems to have some detail, but again we have to be careful about what is published on the web: http://www.ozatwar.com/ozatwar/96theng.htm

--- End quote ---

Thanks LB!  Ironically enough, that info almost murks up the water even further, but it's still more than we knew before. 

MIGMaster:
Interesting... but what is this Wargamer thing of which you speak ?  ;D

LongBlade:

--- Quote from: Martok on February 11, 2012, 09:27:06 AM ---You're welcome, although, primary credit goes to destraex for posting this over at the WG.  I just figured others here would find this an interesting topic as well. 
--- End quote ---

It is interesting. Thanks. Somebody ought to let Destreaux know we've moved. He may be one of the last guys not to be in the loop.

--- Quote ---Thanks LB!  Ironically enough, that info almost murks up the water even further, but it's still more than we knew before.

--- End quote ---

That seems to be about where the museum is, too. They've heard of the incident but don't have a lot of facts to clarify/verify if/when it happened.

I can certainly understand (if it happened) why it would have been hushed up and highly classified. And today no one is really interested in digging up a lot of that history - if you read Osprey's book on the Red Tails it is stomach churning the kind of discrimination black units faced.

LongBlade:
And I should hasten to add, it does appear *something* happened. It's the details which remain sketchy.

Interestingly there is a book referenced on that website which may be the only chronicle of the incident. Anyone interested in digging further should probably try to track down a copy of it.

LongBlade:
Hey guys. The book referenced on that website, Love, War and the 96th Engineers (Colored), is available as a Kindle ebook for $2.99. I just bought it so I could have a first-hand reference.

Remember, you don't have to have a Kindle to read this. There are Kindle apps for iOS devices like the iPad, and you can also download a free ereader for your PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version