Good grief, Chadwick Boseman was fighting colon cancer??

Started by JasonPratt, August 29, 2020, 04:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

https://www.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20200829/KBN25P05G_3

Dang! -- according to the article, he had been fighting it for four years, meaning he had to have picked it up while filming his role of Black Panther for Marvel. (Stage 3 diagnosed in 2016.)

What's weird is that I've seen some industry news that he was not happy about Marvel planning to replace him as the Panther, in favor of the character of his younger sister Churi (which has some minor comics precedent). But of course if he had COLON CANCER, that might have factored into their plans as well.  ::)

This makes him the first of the name-list MCU actors to die and need replacing going forward. Sure didn't expect that to happen soon. Maybe the guy playing General Ross, but not one of the major actors.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Oh wow, RIP Boseman :(

I've read quite some time ago that they were looking for a replacement actor, but didn't know it was because of Chadwick's health.

And they didn't replace General Ross at all (he's always been played by William Hurt), they replace Bruce Banner (the Hulk) instead (Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton).

SirAndrewD

Terrible news.  The man was far too young.  Perfect for the part too. 

Word is Marvel is hesitant to recast for the character.   More likely that they'll have a new or existing character take over the Black Panther persona.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on August 30, 2020, 06:33:59 AM
And they didn't replace General Ross at all (he's always been played by William Hurt), they replace Bruce Banner (the Hulk) instead (Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton).

No, I meant I figured William Hurt might be the first one to die and need replacing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 30, 2020, 06:08:48 PM
Quote from: Tpek on August 30, 2020, 06:33:59 AM

No, I meant I figured William Hurt might be the first one to die and need replacing.

That might have been the case I guess.
Especially seeing as Anthony Hopkins's Odin was already killed off, and so as Tommy Lee Jones's General Whats-his-face.