The Wolf's Call

Started by Toonces, June 07, 2021, 03:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I did a search for this and it didn't come up with any hits.  This is a submarine movie you can find on Netflix.  It's probably my favorite submarine movie of all time (although I haven't seen Das Boot yet).  This one is in French, dubbed into english, but I found the dubbing to be almost unnoticeable. 

Very highly recommended if you're a submarine fan.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^I'll try it out.

You need to watch Das Boot yesterday.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

And don't get confused like I did and think it's about boots. It's not. Though the men in the movie do wear them. And occasionally crap in them when under attack by destroyers.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CapnKirk

I haven't seen Das Boot either.  Please don't revoke my grog card  :hide:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm having trouble finding a trailer in English.

The second video is the Netflix/YouTube trailer dubbed in English.  You can see that the dubbing is really well done.  I actually watched about half the movie before I realized the lips and words weren't matching.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

Grogheads who haven't seen Das Boot!?

ALAAAAARM!

Also, to stay on topic, Wolf's Call looks intense.  I'll have to check it out!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

"C'mon, is it a submarine, or not? Is it biological, or not?"

Do you WANT a Godzilla film? Because this is how you get a Godzilla film.  >:D

(Disclaimer, I haven't watched it, and have no idea what's going on there yet. But this sort of thing happens several times in Godzilla films throughout the years, including in the new Netflix anime coming up for North American release in a few more weeks, so...!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, for Das Boot, if you're looking for the most complete existing cut, the miniseries is the way to go: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJZW3QW

But it's only on DVD, not Blu. The English dub is great for the international theatrical release, if you want/need Blu-ray quality.

The still-in-beta UBOAT is, of course, heavily inspired by Das Boot. https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840 I can't say that it has caught up to mods for Silent Hunter III and later, but on the other hand it doesn't need heavy modding on very buggy deprecated software to work (and the workshop is producing extra bling to give it more grogginess.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

So did any of you guys watch this yet?  Is it as awesome as I said, or what?

Destraex

The wolfs call is good fun.
Das Boot is still the best. Avoid the nee das boot mini series though
U571 and red oktober are fun in a wolfs call kinda way

Has anybody seen any of the youtube episodes of silent service? The tv sries with deforest kelly in it? The ones based on real missions?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"