Arctic Convoy PQ-12: March 6, 1942

Started by MengJiao, August 27, 2021, 07:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well...historically this was Tirpitz's first sortie against a convoy and it was nearly her last.  Let's hope she survives this time!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 27, 2021, 07:18:25 PM

Well...historically this was Tirpitz's first sortie against a convoy and it was nearly her last.  Let's hope she survives this time!

Tirpitz at Sea!  Got past the RN submarines so far, but the sun is up:

Sir Slash

That'll get Churchill reaching for his bottle of Maalox.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

That's the game PQ-17 right? One of these days I'll have to dig out my own copy and finally release it from it's freshness seal.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've nearly pulled the trigger on it several times but I figure I already have 2nd World War at Sea: Arctic Convoy and Bismarck as well as Atlantic Chase and I don't get to play those nearly as much as I'd like. 

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 29, 2021, 10:08:29 PM
That'll get Churchill reaching for his bottle of Maalox.  :coolsmiley:

Brandy and a cigar?

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 30, 2021, 05:44:37 AM
That's the game PQ-17 right? One of these days I'll have to dig out my own copy and finally release it from it's freshness seal.

It's kind of a weird game --  solitaire -- so much stuff is getting simulated that as long as I randomize the big decisions (about once a turn...a lot happens in a turn) I have no idea what is going to happen.
And even if you have the enemy spotted and shadowed you can still lose track.  Anyway...I find it fairly entertaining.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 30, 2021, 10:25:43 AM
I've nearly pulled the trigger on it several times but I figure I already have 2nd World War at Sea: Arctic Convoy and Bismarck as well as Atlantic Chase and I don't get to play those nearly as much as I'd like.

I realized that I hadn't played it in 6 years and the Norway 1940 expansion is coming out and there are rumors of a Mediterranean setting for the system (I guess in 10-20 years?)

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 29, 2021, 02:48:42 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 27, 2021, 07:18:25 PM

Tirpitz at Sea!  Got past the RN submarines so far, but the sun is up:

Weirdly enough, after a moderately wild 36 hours, the RN carrier force put to sea, the Pocket battleship (rated a "cruiser" in this game) gave up trying to break out into the Atlantic and the Tirpitz ducked into Narvik.  Two cargo ships bound for Russia were sunk by the Luftwaffe and that seems to have been it...weirdly close to the actual historical outcome (1 cargo ship sunk by a U-boat).