Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

No tutorial has ever taken me 12 hours to complete :/

I can see playing this for 100s of hours, easily.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GibbyG

Playing first game as Rome, because the other 50 games I have on Rome just don't quite scratch the itch.  Decide to attack Hatti.  Didn't know they were in an alliance with Persia. It was ugly. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Nice to see the game clicking for some people....tried it, but just couldn't get into it.  Too much going on for my simple mind I suppose.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 28, 2022, 07:23:54 PM
Nice to see the game clicking for some people....tried it, but just couldn't get into it.  Too much going on for my simple mind I suppose.

You're not alone. It did not click for me in early access...however, it is on my list of things to give another go. It's a very long list.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 28, 2022, 05:51:38 PM
No tutorial has ever taken me 12 hours to complete :/

I can see playing this for 100s of hours, easily.

Great job Gus !

You are not the only one seeing this as a total timesink :)

I can see how some folk may find it doesnt click as it is much more different yo the Civ series  than it looks on screenshots  bit it hits a sweetspot for me with its families and CK lite mechanics as to befrank Crusader Kings overwhelmed me with its depth and its UI.
I also find the presentation to be top notch.

Onwards and upwards Gus....!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Thanks devon  :D

I did get overwhelmed at some points with all the info to digest...but at most of those points thankfully it was more like a labor of love. I found the combat to be satisfying too, hoping for some epic sieges to come.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

This is the game that I "subscribed" to Epic to get after being disappointed in Humankind. I just could not wait on the Steam release. It is nice to see others enjoying it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

devoncop

Really enjoying the "Rise of Carthage" Canpaign .

You get ten objectives to complete within 100 years which are gradually revealed to you. To get a " Gold" Victory to need to get all ten....I am at 6/10 so far with about 40 years gone . It shows what a great faction the Carthaginians are for a diplomatic playthrough  and you are dealing with the Libyan and Numidian tribes as well as rogue tribal raiders as well as developing a navy.

I would say it is nice mixture betwen a tutorial on how to play the Carthaginians well,  an interesting learning exercise on the history and a full game of Old World.

The Campaign includies allnthe way up to the Punic War in scenario 3 I believe and encompasses a big nadal fight with the Romans.... :)

I am never one to play scenarios rather than full games but this is a very different beast and I see myself tackling the Heroes of the Agean after Carthage, before I return to a full Old World experience.

GibbyG

Gusington

^I am going to go with either the Assyrians or Hittites first. The Persia. Then the Aegean campaign.

All subject to change as the wind blows of course.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sparhawk

I played through the tutorial yesterday. I've got a pretty decent grasp on game fundamentals but still feel unsure about some of the character aspects. Such as whether to assign someone to a role if they have negative modifiers. I know that some games it's best to fill all roles because bonuses gained offset any negative modifiers but am still unsure with Old World. There's a lot going on with keeping all the families happy. Good thing I've got Shadow Empire under my belt to prepare me.

devoncop

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 29, 2022, 03:05:18 PM
I played through the tutorial yesterday. I've got a pretty decent grasp on game fundamentals but still feel unsure about some of the character aspects. Such as whether to assign someone to a role if they have negative modifiers. I know that some games it's best to fill all roles because bonuses gained offset any negative modifiers but am still unsure with Old World. There's a lot going on with keeping all the families happy. Good thing I've got Shadow Empire under my belt to prepare me.

Even characters with negative modifiers usually have some positive ones. It all depends on the categories of the modifiers. Playing as Egypt or Carthage which are economically strong but militarily not as strong as others a negative multiplier on Governor currency generation will be of little consequence if there are no better alternatives whilst a negative modifier for attack or defence on a General  for example for the same nations would be something to avoid in my opinion.

nelmsm

Damn, sat down to play this for a couple of hours at 7pm and just quit here at almost midnight.  Going to take some discipline to leave this alone and get my other games taken care of.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 28, 2022, 08:45:53 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 28, 2022, 07:23:54 PM

You're not alone. It did not click for me in early access...however, it is on my list of things to give another go. It's a very long list.

Yeah, I hope to give it another try someday.  I have had it since it was first released on Epic and have tried a couple of times.  I am sure it's a good game for those that can handle all the details.  Guess something simple like Sniper Elite that doesn't require too many brain cells better suited for me:)