Main Menu

Surprise!

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 02, 2023, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

103k feet for an F15...wow! That's like space shuttle territory.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2023, 08:36:42 PM103k feet for an F15...wow! That's like space shuttle territory.
That's only 19.5 miles.  Only 40% of the way to space.  Alan Shepard's sub-orbital flight max'd out at 116 miles altitude.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Staggerwing

Yeah, the ISS is like 225 miles up.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yeah but Alan Shephard, as you said, was sub-orbital!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My sources tell me that there was in fact a second Chinese balloon and they were supposed to link-up and form a giant buttocks to float across America. With the letters, 'FU' painted on them. Well that's what they told me.   :jawdrop:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 03, 2023, 10:57:44 PMMy sources tell me that there was in fact a second Chinese balloon and they were supposed to link-up and form a giant buttocks to float across America. With the letters, 'FU' painted on them. Well that's what they told me.   :jawdrop:

Apparently there is another, but its Latinxo
QuoteThe U.S. government says another Chinese spy balloon is traveling over Latin America.

"We are seeing reports of a balloon transiting Latin America," Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, a Pentagon spokesperson, told Fox News Friday night. "We now assess it is another Chinese surveillance balloon."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentagon-another-chinese-spy-balloon-traveling-over-latin-america

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tripoli

A little more gist for the intelligence mill: According to pilot reports, the balloon was flying at 50,000 feet near Kansas City (Incidentally, that would put it invic Fort Leavenworth).  So it is flying much lower than I thought it was, and is within the reach of F-15.  "Guns, Guns, Guns....."  https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article272085162.html

solops

The balloon would make a wonderful delivery platform for chemical or biological agents. Also, during WWII the Japanese floated paper balloons from Japan over to the Pacific NW with incendiary devices attached in an attempt to set the forests on fire. A few actually made it and some were recovered.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

The balloons necessarily change altitude a lot (whether by computer, or by direct signal), in order to follow general paths, according to changing weather conditions.

The main one, by the way, could have changed direction overnight to cross West TN more directly, heading for a sensitive site in Georgia which would confirm a trifecta intentional visit (though for what purposes would not be clear) over certain related sites. 3 hours ago it was over Fairview NC.

So this projection from last night doesn't seem anywhere near correct:

But this projection from yesterday earlier looks spot-on for the win:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: solops on February 04, 2023, 10:06:33 AMThe balloon would make a wonderful delivery platform for chemical or biological agents. Also, during WWII the Japanese floated paper balloons from Japan over to the Pacific NW with incendiary devices attached in an attempt to set the forests on fire. A few actually made it and some were recovered.

While I knew that, I learned from someone's twitter thread posted earlier (the Brynn one?) that a few people actually died from those incendiaries although our government hushed it up.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg45133/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg45133.pdf

The short version is that 90% of US urban population would die from indirect results of an EMP stratosphere attack over the central US (e.g. Nebraska). Only 80% mortality in rural areas.  :ThumbsUp:  :HideEyes:

(Hat-tip to the Epoch Times for linking to the docs.)

The balloons we've been seeing wouldn't be high enough for one EMP to zorch the grid, but of course they're sending several around.

steve58

So now maybe US is going to shoot the balloon down...over the Atlantic.

QuoteThe U.S. is considering a plan to shoot down the Chinese spy balloon once it crosses over the Atlantic Ocean, where it could fall without causing harm to anyone below and potentially be recovered, a senior U.S. official told Fox News.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-weighing-decision-shoot-down-chinese-spy-balloon-atlantic-ocean-official-tells-fox-news
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

USAF F-22s FRANK01 & 02 launched from Langley AFB, VA joining up with KC-135R #AE04B3 57-1473 GASMN02 for aerial refueling.
The FAA has published *RESTRICTED AIRSPACE to 60,000 feet* for parts of the Carolinas and is "pausing departures" to Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston airports "to support the Department of Defense in a national security effort." More to come.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

The NCA is acting like a bunch of Keystone Cops.  We could have shot it down in the Bearing Strait, over Alaska, or over Canada before it accomplished anything and then collected the debris for analysis and embarrassing the PRC, and sending them the bill for our expenses.    Instead, we let it drift over the US doing collection (which is, I am sure, uplinked Real Time) and embarrassing us in front of the whole world.    Only after the NCA has proven beyond all doubt what a bunch of clowns they are, do they even begin to act like they might shoot it down.  Probably not even then, as the EPA won't have yet done an analysis on the projected impact on the humpback whale population off Cape Fear.....

One more thought: After watching this $hit show of national security navel gazing, who has confidence this group of yahoos would go toe-to-toe with the PLAN over Taiwan?  Of course that may have been the entire point of the exercise.....

One more thought: What is the back up plan if the PRC orders this to 100,000 feet once it goes feet wet?