Main Menu

Surprise!

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 02, 2023, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

The Red Zeppelin is down!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

steve58

Took it down with a missile shot:

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Hey man...nice shot  :ninjameditate:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

QuoteThe shootdown came after President Joe Biden earlier on Saturday broke the silence on the balloon, telling reporters that "we're gonna take care of it."

In a statement that shortly followed, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said Biden gave the go-ahead on Wednesday to "take down the surveillance balloon as soon as the mission could be accomplished without undue risk to American lives under the balloon's path."

He added that the balloon was being used by Beijing "in an attempt to surveil strategic sites in the continental United States."

After "careful analysis," Austin said they ruled out the possibility of downing the balloon over land "due to the size and altitude of the balloon and its surveillance payload," which would pose an "undue risk to people across a wide area."

The U.S. fighter aircraft assigned to U.S. Northern Command brought down the balloon over the water off the South Carolina coast, and the action was taken in coordination with the Canadian government, the statement said.

"Today's deliberate and lawful action demonstrates that President Biden and his national security team will always put the safety and security of the American people first while responding effectively to the PRC's unacceptable violation of our sovereignty," he said, using the acronym for the People's Republic of China.

The "Mission Accomplished" memes should be epic.

"Sir, polls show that after this exponentially accelerating document scandal, people are even more likely to think you are cooperating with China against the US!"
"Well, THIS will show... show... y'know, the thing!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

I for one would like to thank George Santos for taking time out of his busy schedule to shoot this balloon down.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Debris of the balloon is in fairly shallow waters. Be interesting if we hear anything further about its capabilities...assuming the US just doesn't return what's left to the ChiComms.

QuoteThe balloon was spotted Saturday morning over the Carolinas as it approached the Atlantic coast. At about 2:40 p.m. EST, an F-22 fighter jet fired a missile at the balloon, puncturing it while it was about 6 nautical miles off the coast near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, senior defense officials said.

The debris landed in 47 feet of water, shallower than they had expected. Still, it was not immediately clear how long the recovery would take. The Navy is taking the lead, supported by the Coast Guard.

https://apnews.com/article/politics-united-states-government-china-antony-blinken-51e49202f2a0a50541cde059934c4cfb

Gusington

This will make a great movie in 6 months.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

I do kind of like how it played out.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I hear it was actually a Valentine's Day present for Eric Swalwell from his old girl Fang Fang. "From China With Love".  :present:  :kiss:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Now that the balloon has been shot down 12 miles off the US seaboard, here is something to ponder: We just shot down an airborne PRC surveillance platform in our territorial waters.  Would the PRC use this to justify doing something similar to one of our aircraft in the South China Sea, substantial portions of which they claim are territorial waters? (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_disputes_in_the_South_China_Sea).  Aside from embarrassing the US, could this have been one of the points of this otherwise pointless exercise?  I'm actually surprised the PRC didn't add to the US humiliation by having the balloon climb to 100,000 over South Carolina, and then sail untouched into the Atlantic.  They kept it nice and low so we could shoot it down, and we obliged by doing so over territorial waters, vice US land mass.  I'm not saying that such an event (a shoot down of a US surveillance drone or aircraft) is in the offing.  I'm just saying that such scenarios are likely being discussed in China.  {note: I am not saying that this would be a good legal justification for an attack on a US platform.  What I am saying is that the PRC may be laying the groundwork for such an operation, and trying to establish some legal precedent (albeit very weak) for such an action)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln