Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Hullo!

I played Elite over a year ago on PS4.  I've just picked it up on PC on a whim and could do with a few pointers, since I haven't followed any development for more than a year.  I believe mining is the new hotness when it comes to making money, but presumably requires more of an investment than I can put in right now?  Should I just get out of noob space and start doing missions?  Is there anything of particular importance I should be aware of after being out of the loop for so long?

Side question: Is Powerplay worth doing yet?

Also I don't have Horizons yet but I'll pick it up if I'm still playing after a couple of weeks.

Pete Dero

mikeck

I'd grab horizons now. Adds a lot and landing on planets is just fun
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

Thank you Pete.

Yeah I know Horizons is a must; but I also know myself, and the distinct possibility I may not be playing in two weeks from now. :D

Just to be clear, I had Horizons when I played on the PS4.  I did quite a lot - there are systems with my name on, I had a Python and a Krait and pretty high Fed rank etc.  I'm sure there have been a lot of developments since I played though.

I was kind of hoping Powerplay is actually worth doing now.

Jarhead0331

^Why aren't you playing Star Citizen!? PU 3.5.1 just came out. Now has ship customization for the Origin 300i series. Also having a weekend free fly event. Do it!  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Haha, I wondered whether you'd tell me off Jarhead!

It is still high on my list.  It won't be much longer before I buy it - I promise!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 08, 2019, 09:52:29 AM
Yeah I know Horizons is a must; but I also know myself, and the distinct possibility I may not be playing in two weeks from now. :D

Horizons was on sale on Steam for $6 last winter and the summer sale should start in a week or two (june 25 ?).

Jarhead : even when you have a not so new and powerful computer Elite still runs great, SC not so much.

Huw the Poo

^ Jarhead is referring to a conversation we had on Discord where he pretty much talked me into Star Citizen.  I just haven't got around to buying it yet. ;)

Pete Dero

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collections/voice-packs/products/orion  for £5.

Orion is our most popular male voice pack, and contains over 8 hours of William Shatner voiced responses!  For the entire month of June, you can get £10 OFF using the code CAPTAINKIRK5 at checkout.

Also works for Star Citizen version : https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collections/star-citizen/products/orion-star-citizen

Redwolf

Got a question for you: I have this game. I have been holding back playing it until I have time to do it in VR all the time.

Do you think that's worth it? Would be funny if I ended up discarding the VR run 1.5 hours in and having waited for nothing.

My headset is a rift v1. In other games I was bother by the low resolution and screendoor effect. However, I liked the immersion enough that I did not give up on my plan to use it for Elite.

Opinions? Should I just start doing mixed mode? How often do I need non-VR elements like a google search to learn this thing, anyway?

Pete Dero

I don't have VR but this is my go to source for info on Elite : 

The galaxy map might be the hardest part to get used to :

For trade runs many use websites like https://eddb.io/ that get you out of VR.

Redwolf

Yskonyn

I play Elite exclusively with my Rift CV1 on my head. The immersion is just so darn great! And I find the graphics to be much better compared to, for example, the experience in DCS World, which I solely play without VR. So that says enough for Elite I think. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

It's weird that all ships have docking computers now.  Also it seems to be a lot easier to make money than it used to be.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 11, 2019, 05:57:10 PM
It's weird that all ships have docking computers now.  Also it seems to be a lot easier to make money than it used to be.

Mission payouts are much improved.   Deep Core Mining is also the #1 way to make money, sometimes as much as a billion a day if you have the right ship, but it's tedious and a bit of a bore. 

If you want to make a quick few hundred million, the easiest thing to do is go back to the old Sothis/Ceos run.  When one or both systems are in boom, they offer a trade missions back and forth from the other that usually hit 3-4 million per mission.   With a big enough hold you can stack several of those and pretty much print money.   

The real thing now is Engineers and Guardian modules.  I recently got the Guardian FSD booster, Shield Booster and Module Reinforcement package.  The rest aren't really necessary, but they're helpful if you're going Bug Stomping.

Outfitting a ship with AX Multicannons and hunting Thargoid Scouts is also very lucrative and blazes through combat rank.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback