Jarhead - Do you have war of rights?

Started by Destraex, December 02, 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2022, 04:02:43 AM
Quote from: Destraex on December 24, 2022, 03:36:04 AM
Thanks Bardolph. I have seen Glory. Might look up the others.
I am fairly surprised their are not many Civil War movies to be honest. I mean when you count the number of westerns that were shot. I mean the good the bad and the ugly had that famous scene where they had to cross the civil war trench lines. I know John Wayne did a few cavalry civil war movies?

Personally a number that I enjoy, which some may debate.

Gettysburg (one of my favorites); wasn't a huge fan of the Gods and General follow up
Glory (one of my favorites)
Andersonville (really liked this one as it showed life as a prisoner)
Ride of the Devil (not a lot of battles but enjoyed it)
The Hunley (story about a sub that was used)
Field of Lost Shoes
North & South (more of a drama and TV series, but enjoyed it)
Blue and the Grey (more of a drama and TV series, but enjoyed it)
Red Badge of Courage
Cold Mountain (not much of battle stuff, but liked the overall feel of the time period)

OWN both Gettysburg (one of my favorites); wasn't a huge fan of the Gods and General follow up
SEEN Glory (one of my favorites)
Will try to find Andersonville (really liked this one as it showed life as a prisoner)
Will try to find Ride of the Devil (not a lot of battles but enjoyed it)
SEEN very sad The Hunley (story about a sub that was used)
Will try to findField of Lost Shoes
Will try to findNorth & South (more of a drama and TV series, but enjoyed it)
Will try to find Blue and the Grey (more of a drama and TV series, but enjoyed it)
Started the book at some stage, will try to find Red Badge of Courage
SEEN Cold Mountain (not much of battle stuff, but liked the overall feel of the time period)

Have read the Bernard Cornwell civil war novels
Own physical copies of shelby footes 3 part civil war history. Must read them at some stage. Got them at a second hand book fair for a good price.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Groggy

Quote from: Destraex on December 23, 2022, 10:31:59 PM
I had an xbox controller, no idea if a ps4 one would work. Apparently not even my xbox one should be working according to the community.

Now. Has anybody got any good civil war movie or tv series recommendations apart from gettysburg or gods and generals which I already own.
I have heard of the state of jonah or something which seems like a kinda strange segway outside of the civil war.

The Good Lord Bird is a terrific watch. Ethan Hawke plays the role of abolitionist John Brown, and it's told from the perspective of a newly freed slave. It doesn't have epic battle scenes, but it definitely captures the atmosphere of antebellum america. It's only 5 bucks for the series on Amazon, unless you already have a subscription to Showtime.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3673480/
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Trooperc7

Bardolph

Quote from: Destraex on December 24, 2022, 05:15:18 AM
Will try to findField of Lost Shoes

Check my post, I gave ya a link to it on YT.

Destraex

Servers seem a little quieter atm for what are probably obvious reasons...

Groggy

Quote from: Destraex on December 24, 2022, 06:50:54 PM

I'm going to dive into it tonight.

Destraex

Destraex

The after battle report runs a blow by blow overhead map showing the movements of the troops throughout the match. It's cool to watch how in this match the confederates tried to flank us and then were pushed back and reformed way back in the rear.

Destraex

No more snow. The snow is all gone now.

Back to the old summer colours

Destraex

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on December 24, 2022, 09:37:49 PM
Quote from: Destraex on December 24, 2022, 06:50:54 PM

I'm going to dive into it tonight.
Groggy did you end up trying it out? What did you think and did you get a good population?
Another thing I forgot to mention. Almost everything including individual or all people and briefing commentary can be muted. Lately I have run into a few people when their have been fewer people on that just like to argue history instead of playing the game. If you press T to show peoples names above their heads and then hold TAB to get the list of people up you can then watch the mics of people light up when they talk and click on the mic symbol next to their name to mute them.

See that red cross on somebodies mic symbol next to their name. Done for teaching purposes;

Silent Disapproval Robot

Picked it up during the Steam sale. 

Not really clicking with me.  The chat tends to be a cacophony of people yelling over one another.  It looks nice at times but the close combat animations and hit detections need a lot of work.  I'd also like to see more personal stats and some sort of progression system.  It's already getting quite repetitive after about a dozen skirmishes.

Destraex

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 30, 2022, 05:48:08 PM
Picked it up during the Steam sale. 

Not really clicking with me.  The chat tends to be a cacophony of people yelling over one another.  It looks nice at times but the close combat animations and hit detections need a lot of work.  I'd also like to see more personal stats and some sort of progression system.  It's already getting quite repetitive after about a dozen skirmishes.

Greate observations. Experience varies with the officer commanding and the people your playing with. How many people were in your server?
I don't usually get people talking over the officer at all. Just the officers loud calls and maybe the odd very short small talk. I'd also ask what you think the civil war would have been like in terms of conversation. Consider all units not just the good ones. I wonder if it's realistic to have some "rebels" talking during battle or marches.

As for a progression system I think the aim of this game is more leaning in the direction of a simulator. I suspect that they could do this but don't want to encourage people to go "RAMBO" to get kills. If they did progression based on formation wins that would be cool. Apparently their is a way to play or record replays I must look into.

As for hit detection, well this is a formation game rather than an individual track and achievement game. It's more about your side winning by cowering and destroying the enemy with volley fire. Bayonet hit detection I agree can be interesting but then again it is in almost any close combat FPS I have played especially when some players pings are high. But the numbers tend to win and that's where the game really shines.

Repetition? I think perhaps you might find it repetitive because in an FPS your just one guy standing in line instead of playing a wargame where you are controlling many formations of men. You might try being an officer if you want to move a company around and try to co-ordinate with other company commanders. Also their is artilleryman to play and will be cavalry in future. I would ask where you think the game could improve on the repetitive side of things?

I must say the holidays have brought in a few more vocal types and this is where the closed clan engagements are I hear much more "regimented". I have not played one yet.

In the end. I just sometimes feel like walking around in a line with the company and enjoying the cinematics. I have seen some officers pull off some pretty neat tactics. Including having us retreat in quick time back over a rise to reload, then marching up the hill again to loose a volley.

It's useful I think to be able to follow the stages of the battle so as to be able to understand how you are "progressing".
The battle starts with both sides "battle ready" one side is listed as attacking and the other defending usually.
As they fight the battle both sides are listed as "engaged"
As one or both sides start losing men it changes to "taking casualties"
Then if one side takes too many casualties, especially outside of the line it changes to "breaking"
After breaking I think their is "final stand" for one side and "final push" for the other?? While during final stand that side cannot respawn.

If you are kneeling to do anything or being a little way from the line and in the bottom right it will say you are skirmishing. Die like that and you cause a small 20% (iirc) moral penalty
Move away from the line and you cause 100% morale penaltly.
Stay in line and I think it's and 80% reduction in moral penalty.... that makes no sense

But basically you can see that if you don't line up and STAND in line you cause problems for your side if you die. You press TAB at any time to see what the state of the enemy and your side is.

NOTE: Hopefully you have not gone over your time limit if you need to refund it.

Groggy

Quote from: Destraex on December 30, 2022, 05:36:28 PM

Groggy did you end up trying it out? What did you think and did you get a good population?

I ended up refunding the game because I kept getting kicked out of battles. This would be anywhere from a few minutes to several minutes after joining with a popup message: "Timeout occurred; no packet for 30 seconds." Whether I was trying to join a battle with between 100-200 players or one of the drill camps, I kept getting kicked out. I'm not sure if it was a connection/internet speed issue on my end, but I finally lost patience with it. I don't really have the time or energy to look into the issue(s). From the small amount of time I played, the overall graphics and maps look great. There is certainly something to be said about the uniqueness of a first person multiplayer 19th century historical game. But nevertheless I'm not quite sure this game is my jam.

Destraex

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on December 30, 2022, 11:12:14 PM
Quote from: Destraex on December 30, 2022, 05:36:28 PM

I ended up refunding the game because I kept getting kicked out of battles. This would be anywhere from a few minutes to several minutes after joining with a popup message: "Timeout occurred; no packet for 30 seconds." Whether I was trying to join a battle with between 100-200 players or one of the drill camps, I kept getting kicked out. I'm not sure if it was a connection/internet speed issue on my end, but I finally lost patience with it. I don't really have the time or energy to look into the issue(s). From the small amount of time I played, the overall graphics and maps look great. There is certainly something to be said about the uniqueness of a first person multiplayer 19th century historical game. But nevertheless I'm not quite sure this game is my jam.
Well that sux but glad you got your money back. No harm, no foul.

Bardolph

QuoteI wonder if it's realistic to have some "rebels" talking during battle or marches.

There's an old saying in the army, any army:

"Quiet in the ranks!"

This game could benefit from it at times.