Show Me Your Mugs

Started by Smuckatelli, February 06, 2021, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smuckatelli

Let's see your mug collection....

All of my mugs are awesome, but the silver one is from my last duty station Marine Barracks 8th & I.

Gusington

Are those initialed ones made of...pewter? Awesome looking stuff, Gunny.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Interesting. Is the glass one from the Czech Republic? 

I'm 90% certain that marching soldier is "The Good Soldier Svejk" (also sometimes spelled Schwiek). I have the book and the picture seems to have been lifted right off of the cover page.

For those that don't know, "The Good Soldier Svejk" is the main character from a set of satirical WWI novels by Czech writer Jaroslav Hasek. The book pokes fun at the Austro-Hungarian war effort, and military life in general.

Svejk is pretty engrained in Czech culture. Whenever I visited Prague, I would frequent a restaurant named after Svejk.

Anyway, here is an Amazon cover, with a picture of Svejk that has the same "look".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0690001231/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_thcv_p1_i2
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2021, 12:52:15 PM
Are those initialed ones made of...pewter? Awesome looking stuff, Gunny.

Why yes, it is made of pewter....although you type it much more manly than I do. The Officer & SNCO Club at 8th & I issue those to each Marine when they join the unit....for a 25 dollar tip.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 06, 2021, 03:13:53 PM

Probably 80% of the mugs are from the Czech Republic. I was stationed at the Embassy, my future wife worked there....and the mug collection began.

......and yes, that is the Good Soldier. I've read the book many times in the past 24 years. I have it on audio book for long drives and Czech television shows it every year at Christmas time.

I picked up that mug at The Chalice. In the book, that is where Svejk and the bartender was arrested...Svejk for being Svejk, the bartender because he took the King's picture down because Flys were crapping on it.

http://ukalicha.cz/en/

steve58

I know, I know, it doesn't have a handle.  ::)   (Very cool collection O0)

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

^Horrific!!

I can't think of a more manly metal for Gunny to have a mug made from than pewter. Maybe iron, but that would be a little...cliche. And heavy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Smuckatelli on February 06, 2021, 04:04:14 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 06, 2021, 03:13:53 PM

Probably 80% of the mugs are from the Czech Republic. I was stationed at the Embassy, my future wife worked there....and the mug collection began.

......and yes, that is the Good Soldier. I've read the book many times in the past 24 years. I have it on audio book for long drives and Czech television shows it every year at Christmas time.

I picked up that mug at The Chalice. In the book, that is where Svejk and the bartender was arrested...Svejk for being Svejk, the bartender because he took the King's picture down because Flys were crapping on it.

http://ukalicha.cz/en/

Very cool. Great book!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Smuckatelli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 06, 2021, 07:01:37 PM
Very cool. Great book!

We do have this guy hanging out in our cabinet.....

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Smuckatelli on February 06, 2021, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 06, 2021, 07:01:37 PM
Very cool. Great book!

We do have this guy hanging out in our cabinet.....

The man himself!  I just put Svejk at the top of my reading list.  Been many years since I read it, time for a refresh. Then I'll cap it off with another round of Catch 22 followed by No Time for Sergeants.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"