Any Good Mercenary Novels?

Started by RooksBailey, May 24, 2014, 12:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Been in the mood to read something about mercenaries causing trouble somewhere.  I already read the classic Dogs of War, so I am looking for something similar.  Any recommendations? 

Thanks!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

If you also like Scifi there's always the Hammer's Slammers (David Drake) and Falkenberg's Legion (Jerry Pournelle) series.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RooksBailey

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 24, 2014, 06:46:45 AM
There's always the non-fiction version...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Adventurer-Rolf-Steiner/dp/0316812390

Well, there's that!  I'll take a look even though I was looking for some fiction.  I was surprised to see not much else out there.  Somewhat striking seeing how PMCs like Blackwater have been in the news a lot the last few years (I'm talking about fiction books). 

Quote from: StaggerwingIf you also like Scifi there's always the Hammer's Slammers (David Drake) and Falkenberg's Legion (Jerry Pournelle) series.

I love Hammers Slammers!  Never tried Falkenberg's Legion (must remember that one).  Right now I am mostly interested in the here and now, a book like Dogs of War that involves some hellhole on planet Earth.   :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

RooksBailey

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 24, 2014, 05:04:24 PM
you could also check out this one - a bit more contemporary and very interesting

http://www.amazon.com/Unorthodox-Soldier-Lieutenant-Colonel-Tim-Spicer/dp/1840183497

Also a good recommendation!  Thanks!

I finally found a fiction book.  Not surprisingly, when the paper publishers drop the ball, the e-book community picks it up:

http://www.amazon.com/FIND-FIX-FINISH-Sheepdog-Thrillers-ebook/dp/B007UGJ27O/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400969052&sr=1-6&keywords=private+military+contractors

QuoteFormer Delta operator Patrick Darwin leads Phalanx Security's best private security team, running protection details with Cal Wafer, former SEAL Team Six sniper, and Gabe Henderson, former Detroit SWAT assaulter. They're rotating out of Baghdad when VIP client Martin Lindy demands immediate protection along the Texas/Mexico border, where he and his crew are spending tax dollars building a virtual fence. Sounds like a paid vacation.

Then they run into Maro, a Cuban expatriate trained by the Soviets to kill Afghans. Now he's a mercenary working for the Luna Cartel, protecting drug shipments and dismembering troublemakers with his Russian entrenching shovel. On the hostile line in the sand between Texas and Mexico, Maro fights for money and the hell of it, using brutal guerrilla tactics to get what he wants. No way these new boys are going to stop him.

But he's never fought a crew like Darwin's before--Maro and his cartel lords better prepare for a level of professional warfare they have never seen.

bob48

And not to forget the great 'Dorsai' books by Gordon.R.Dickson.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

according to a friend of mine, this one's supposed to be pretty good.  I know nothing about it, so take it with a grain of salt

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Vengeance-Christopher-Reich/dp/0307387836/ref=pd_sim_b_29?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SDKJKF1HH5RKWBF65HD

RooksBailey

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 24, 2014, 06:40:59 PM
according to a friend of mine, this one's supposed to be pretty good.  I know nothing about it, so take it with a grain of salt

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Vengeance-Christopher-Reich/dp/0307387836/ref=pd_sim_b_29?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SDKJKF1HH5RKWBF65HD

Thanks!  I'll check it out!

Silent Disapproval Robot

You might want to have a look at the Nick Stone novels by Andy McNab as well.  They're about a former SAS soldier who gets out and then works as a deniable operator for MI-6 on a contract by contract basis.  He really just wants to get on full time so he can get medical and a pension but things always seem to get a little worse for him. They're quite enjoyable and it's interesting how the events in the books predict a lot of real world events.  There are 15 in the series so far.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Ck%3Aandy+mcnab&keywords=andy+mcnab&ie=UTF8&qid=1401201988

bayonetbrant

another good not-quite-a-mercenary-but-still-a-good-modern-adventure-yarn to check out is The Gold of Exodus

http://www.amazon.com/The-GOLD-EXODUS-Howard-Blum/dp/0671027328

eyebiter

airboy

If you liked Hammer's Slammers, the Falkenberg Legion stories by Jerry Pournelle will be a real treat.  He also wrote Januassaries and King David's Spaceship which had a Merc flavor in different universes.

The Falkenberg Legion books are among my most read military SF or military fiction books of all time. 

GDS_Starfury

I recently finished Tank Lords.  not bad.
dont forget about all of the old Battle Tech books.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 28, 2014, 09:23:03 PMI recently finished Tank Lords.  not bad.
Of the standalone books, The Sharp End is the best, and Rolling Hot next, but Tank Lords isn't far below Rolling Hot.  The best stories are still the short stories collected in the first book.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 28, 2014, 09:23:03 PMdont forget about all of the old Battle Tech books.
The William Keith / Gray Death Legion books are great