Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2015, 06:20:19 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2015, 01:29:33 AM
And so Mr. Smart gains credibility again?  O:-)

Impossible, because as far as I know, the "Supreme Commander" never had any credibility to begin with.  :coolsmiley:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought "Supreme Commander" was produced by Chris Taylor's (Total Annihilation designer) Gas Powered Games. Are we talking about the same game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aQZKZYEWI
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Huw the Poo

Supreme Commander is what Derek Smart chooses to call himself.

It isn't what I choose to call him...

Boggit

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 11, 2016, 03:46:41 PM
Supreme Commander is what Derek Smart chooses to call himself.

It isn't what I choose to call him...
Ah! I get it now... :-[ ::)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

After changing my mind on it several times, I finally decided I'd rather buy Battlefleet Gothic now and pick up Star Citizen later

I'll just have to play Evochron, X3/4, and/or Elite Horizons instead until then. ;) (And maybe No Man's Sky at this rate.)

Still, excited it's still coming!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trek

I'm thinking of buying a SC Package but have some questions for any of you that have the game and are currently playing it. What is the current size of the game? I thought I saw something about a 50GB size on the SC forums and that eventually the game may be as much as 100GB total size. Is this true? I've never been that much into Space games but I recently bought Elite Dangerous and I'm really enjoying it. I decided to get ED mainly because of the feedback that Jarhead posted here, so JH thanks for the info on the game. Anyway how would you guys compare the two and is the game going to be worth playing now as well as in the future to earn taking up so much space on my hard drive? FYI: I'm mainly into combat and bounty hunting roles in ED.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: trek on March 06, 2016, 03:15:19 PM
I'm thinking of buying a SC Package but have some questions for any of you that have the game and are currently playing it. What is the current size of the game? I thought I saw something about a 50GB size on the SC forums and that eventually the game may be as much as 100GB total size. Is this true? I've never been that much into Space games but I recently bought Elite Dangerous and I'm really enjoying it. I decided to get ED mainly because of the feedback that Jarhead posted here, so JH thanks for the info on the game. Anyway how would you guys compare the two and is the game going to be worth playing now as well as in the future to earn taking up so much space on my hard drive? FYI: I'm mainly into combat and bounty hunting roles in ED.

If I recall correctly, the current install is only about 30GB. I have no idea what size the game is going to be upon release, but 100GB would not surprise me. Between the open world online game with PvP and PvE elements, as well as the Squadron 42 single-player campaign, I'm expecting the need for a lot of data. The universe is going to be huge, dynamic and its absolutely stunning.

Have you watched my Star Citizen videos on my youtube page? I've posted them all here too. That will give you a really good idea as to the current state of the game. Alpha 2.0/2.1 was a giant leap forward, and in my opinion, finally brought the game to a state worth paying attention to. Before 2.0, I had given up and deleted the game, but with all of the new features 2.0 added, there is enough content to make poking around worthwhile. This weekend version 2.2 was released, but I have not had a chance to test it out yet. I hear it is pretty buggy and unstable. I tried getting onto a server, but they were all full.

Its hard to compare the game to ED at this point. ED is definitely ahead of SC in terms of stability, features and content, but SC is definitely catching up. It looks spectacular and the ability to seamlessly walk around the world, enter spacecraft, EVA, etc. is extremely impressive and something ED is completely lacking at this point. Although I had written SC off, if RSI keeps it up, SC has the potential to truly be brilliant.

My suggestion is to buy one of the cheaper spacecraft.  Check it out and see how you like it. If it holds your interest, there are upgrade packages you can buy in order to get a better ship, without paying full price. That's what I did and it worked out great. Check out my videos and let me know if you have any other questions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

trek

JH, thanks for the quick reply. I'm probably going to get the Avenger Stalker Package as all the vids and info I've absorbed over the last few weeks are leading me to that ship as best for my initial foray into SC. $75 is not bad for a good all-around bounty-hunter and combat ship. I know I'm only getting SC DL and not SQ42 included in the package but I'm not sure down the line if I want SQ42 at all. I like the new Aegis Sabre but $170 is a bit too steep for me and if I really like the game I can always upgrade to the Sabre later. Besides I just bought another DD, the Lo Yang for World of Warships. That makes my 5th ship for WOW including the Tirpitz, Atago, Kamikaze and Atlanta in the last four months. Funny, I didn't like WOT much and uninstalled it but WOW is becoming something of an addiction for me lately as I've really gotten into Naval Warfare games and the recent release of Atlantic Fleet on PC is really welcome after playing it on my ipad Air 2 since last fall. Amazing what Killerfish Games has done with that title.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: trek on March 06, 2016, 05:25:33 PM
JH, thanks for the quick reply. I'm probably going to get the Avenger Stalker Package as all the vids and info I've absorbed over the last few weeks are leading me to that ship as best for my initial foray into SC. $75 is not bad for a good all-around bounty-hunter and combat ship. I know I'm only getting SC DL and not SQ42 included in the package but I'm not sure down the line if I want SQ42 at all. I like the new Aegis Sabre but $170 is a bit too steep for me and if I really like the game I can always upgrade to the Sabre later. Besides I just bought another DD, the Lo Yang for World of Warships. That makes my 5th ship for WOW including the Tirpitz, Atago, Kamikaze and Atlanta in the last four months. Funny, I didn't like WOT much and uninstalled it but WOW is becoming something of an addiction for me lately as I've really gotten into Naval Warfare games and the recent release of Atlantic Fleet on PC is really welcome after playing it on my ipad Air 2 since last fall. Amazing what Killerfish Games has done with that title.

I currently pilot an Aegis Avenger Stalker. I really like it. I have my eye on the Sabre too, but I'm afraid its a little too dedicated as a light/medium fighter...it has zero cargo space and only room for one pilot. I finally got onto a 2.2 server and as I was walking around my Avenger, someone landed a Sabre on the pad right next to me. I had the chance to walk around it and check it out. Looks really cool, but I'm going to hold off for now. An upgrade from the Avenger would still cost $110. Way more than  I am willing to spend. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ghostryder

This is one I really want if it's ever finished. I like story based wing commander type games like this-and we haven't had one of those in ions.

the others, elite dangerous and the such still need more content--and with X3 seems I'll just play those for now.

Jarhead0331

I'm so ashamed. I just bought an F7C-M Super Hornet. Its an exclusive sale. They only sell this thing every now and again. Its such a sexy beast. I just couldn't resist.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Quote from: ghostryder on March 06, 2016, 08:16:15 PM
This is one I really want if it's ever finished. I like story based wing commander type games like this-and we haven't had one of those in ions.

the others, elite dangerous and the such still need more content--and with X3 seems I'll just play those for now.

You know about this, right? The engine might be a little dated for your taste but it's free and a definite labor of love from a bunch of Wing Commander geeks.

http://www.wcsaga.com/

And it stars yours truly as Captain Moran.  8)

Search it on you tube for some gameplay vids.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 19, 2016, 04:08:58 PM
I'm so ashamed. I just bought an F7C-M Super Hornet. Its an exclusive sale. They only sell this thing every now and again. Its such a sexy beast. I just couldn't resist.

Jarhead! SC seems to be the crack cocaine of the space gamer...you try to stay clean but when those cravings start... :o  ;)

Jarhead0331

Despite the delays and controversies surrounding the fund raising, Star Citizen truly has the potential to be the greatest space flight, FPS, RPG of all time. It is really looking better and better. I really hope the team can pull it off. So far, I remain impressed by what the current build has accomplished (2.4)  Version 2.5 should be released shortly. Version 3.0 was just demonstrated at Gamescom 2016 and "should" be released around the New Year. I believe it will be the first build to add seamless transition from deep space, to high and low orbit, to planetary landing on procedurally generated worlds.

Check it out...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Aah, you're not the guy that successfully sued them for his Kickstarter money refund then?