Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I thought there was only one (fairly fleshed out) solar system right now? -- not an Elite-level galactic size. 47 million light years is a lot.  ???

That isn't a criticism, I'm just confused by the claims.

QuoteNot a single system finished out of 100 planned certainly sounds sensational. But look more closely at the system that is presently in game and what you can do with it. It's already extremely impressive in my opinion. With multiple planets and moons...that you can explore...on foot...there is already a lifetime of gaming, technically speaking. It's quite an accomplishment.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

I'm not a big space sim guy, but I got Elite Dangerous heavily discounted to see what it was all about.  How does SC compare to ED, or am I asking for an apples to oranges comparison here ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2019, 11:12:56 AM
I thought there was only one (fairly fleshed out) solar system right now? -- not an Elite-level galactic size. 47 million light years is a lot.  ???

That isn't a criticism, I'm just confused by the claims.

QuoteNot a single system finished out of 100 planned certainly sounds sensational. But look more closely at the system that is presently in game and what you can do with it. It's already extremely impressive in my opinion. With multiple planets and moons...that you can explore...on foot...there is already a lifetime of gaming, technically speaking. It's quite an accomplishment.

You're correct. Light years it wasn't...it was most likely 47,000,000 KM, or some other such measurement. In real time, it felt like light years.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

I can see why you're frustrated Jarhead, but on the other hand the...interesting...development history of the game is a story in itself.  Of course there's going to be discussion about it every now and again. (I'm speaking in reference to what you said about it being a huge thread but with only you posting actual impressions)

I also understand why many people who might otherwise be interested are staying the hell away.  However, as you know I'm quite likely to buy a starter pack soon.  I'll be very happy to do some gunning on one of your shiny battlecruisers of death!  How many multicrew ships do you have, anyway?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 02, 2019, 12:02:46 PM
I can see why you're frustrated Jarhead, but on the other hand the...interesting...development history of the game is a story in itself.  Of course there's going to be discussion about it every now and again. (I'm speaking in reference to what you said about it being a huge thread but with only you posting actual impressions)

I also understand why many people who might otherwise be interested are staying the hell away.  However, as you know I'm quite likely to buy a starter pack soon.  I'll be very happy to do some gunning on one of your shiny battlecruisers of death!  How many multicrew ships do you have, anyway?

Do it!

I have the following ships that have crew positions for multiple players:

Aegis Retaliator - Crew: 7
Constellation Andromeda - Crew: 4
F7C-M Super Hornet - Crew: 2

However, I also have an Avenger Stalker and a Drake Herald, 300i which are all capable of carrying more passengers. Everything else I have is single seat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

You are clearly passionate about SC, Jarhead and I understand how dissapointing it is if people keep on bringing up the things surrounding its development rather than stories about its gameplay. :)

As I said I'll  be trying out the free fly period. Perhaps we can meet to have some multi-crew fun.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 02, 2019, 01:59:39 PM
You are clearly passionate about SC, Jarhead and I understand how dissapointing it is if people keep on bringing up the things surrounding its development rather than stories about its gameplay. :)

As I said I'll  be trying out the free fly period. Perhaps we can meet to have some multi-crew fun.

Great! Let me know when you get your account set-up!

I recommend playing around in the arena first to get comfortable with the controls. You can do free-flight or wave based combat solo. Getting a level of comfort with the systems will serve you well once you jump into the persistent universe.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Splendid!  Well...having bought a beefy new PC and a new monitor this month (the monitor was a last-minute "surprise" because my new GPU isn't compatible with my old monitor  #:-)), I can imagine the look on my lady's face if I drop £45 on a game as well...so it will be on or soon after next pay day. :D

Jarhead0331

Boredgamer's opinion on the Forbes article...heavily agree.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Damn.. more than 50gb to download. That's one hell of a demo! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 03, 2019, 02:44:19 PM

I presume its the full live version of the PU, 3.5.0.

Give me a shout once you get in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 03, 2019, 03:06:11 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on May 03, 2019, 02:44:19 PM

I presume its the full live version of the PU, 3.5.0.

Give me a shout once you get in.

Download is complete. Have started the solo arena thingy briefly, but quickly came to realise I need to configure my controls. The defaults are horrible. :)
Then quickly took a peek inside the persistent world and I am impressed. First person view and interaction with objects is nicely done, and getting to your ship, then opening the back hatch and walking seemlessly inside your craft's spacey interior is very cool.
That's all I have time for at the moment however. I'll return to it tomorrow.

Are you scipio in the game or jarhead?

Jarhead0331

I would presume Jarhead. Will have to double check.

If you're impressed now...wait until you land on a moon or planet and walk outside.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Played a few cargo missions tonight. Servers are running butter smooth. Best I have ever experienced. No technical issues whatsoever!

I'm testing an awesome ship...its the Anvil Valkyrie and its a badass combat dropship. It will definitely require a crew if I get one. Its got a bunch of turret positions and get this...two door guns! It will be great for flying a team down to a hot LZ. Huge cargo space that can easily hold a few Ursa Rovers or cyclones...maybe even a Nova tank.

Its presently not available for sale, but even at $375, when it goes on sale again, I may have trouble resisting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Which ships are good workhorse allround choices for someone who wants to explore the game's content?