Main Menu

The Tomb

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, August 23, 2014, 07:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Gus brought up The Keep, which I enjoyed. Looking to see what else the author did, I found Repairman Jack with stellar reviews from other writers.

http://www.amazon.ca/Tomb-Repairman-Jack-Book-ebook/dp/B0053D6MS8/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1408838394&sr=1-6

This seems like a must buy.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Steelgrave

Haven't read Repairman Jack in years! Definitely worth a read....or reread in my case  O0

And I didn't realize Wilson wrote "The Keep". Saw the movie, never read the book. Think I will pick it up while I'm shopping Amazon.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I decided to get Repairman Jack 1,2,3.

Staggerwing

The book order is confusing. Does 'The Keep' act as a sort of prequel to 'the Tomb' but set 40 years earlier, before Repairman Jack happens on the scene?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

The Tomb and at least the next couple of Repairman Jack novels are standalone. From what I saw on the author's Amazon site, apparently the two series become somewhat intertwined in later novels. But I enjoyed the RJ novels on their own. I'm pretty sure there are half a dozen Jack novels before the streams are crossed.

Staggerwing

Ah, thanks Steelie. I may check out 'the Tomb' soon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

On my copy of The Keep it is listed as 'A Novel of the Adversary Cycle.' But I think it was added to that series way after it was written. Not sure.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2014, 10:30:32 PM
On my copy of The Keep it is listed as 'A Novel of the Adversary Cycle.' But I think it was added to that series way after it was written. Not sure.

I read the original 1981 hardcover in 83 iirc. The ending was a bit open for a sequel. It was never written afaik, i did look for it.

I'm 15% through the tomb. It (kindle edition) has references to ipod, dvd, computer, that could not have been in the original 1984 edition.

Gusington

I was surprised at how old The Keep is...this copy here says original copyright 1979!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

amazon lists a paperback edition to Jan 1 1900! Fucking Molasar can time travel.

Gusington

^I'd like to get my hands on that one.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

So what did you think of the keep?

The Tomb is worth reading 7.5/10

Gusington

I loved it. Finished it in about 10 days which is saying something because I am a slow reader.

The allusions to the wider mythology of the series almost made my head explode...the Repairman Jack novels cover that mythology, right? Crazy stuff. Old gods and shit.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Cant say, I have only read The Keep and The Tomb. I thought is was a very good story. I got the author's Enemy of the State kindle book. Sci-fi setting. It should be good.

Gusington

^Yeah the author is very busy, he's got dozens of titles.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd