Main Menu

Shallow Space

Started by Anguille, August 15, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Someone's following the dev of this game? I like what i see....still a long way to go though...

http://shallow-space.com/

Nefaro

Nice.

Also - with a name like that, does it have bewbays?

BanzaiCat

Two posts. It's a record! Except in the hotter threads, of course.  :coolsmiley:

Anguille

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 15, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
Two posts. It's a record! Except in the hotter threads, of course.  :coolsmiley:
What do you mean?

BanzaiCat

The reference he made to female chest parts.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 15, 2014, 11:36:06 AM

We have standards to uphold, here.   O0

Huw the Poo

Huh.  A developer website which is essentially a Tumblr site.  Kind of odd...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 15, 2014, 03:37:00 PM
Huh.  A developer website which is essentially a Tumblr site.  Kind of odd...

Odd...and annoying. Very difficult to navigate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Agreed.  With many, and small, updates it could kind of work, but with no grouping of information it's a bit useless.

panzerde

Yes - very interested in the game and enjoyed watching the Youtube videos. Can't make heads or tails of the website.

Two things I like right off about this is the 3D movement UI that seems to have been taken lock, stock, and waypoint from Homeworld. Secondly, the ships seem to move slowly but realistically.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Huw the Poo

Seems like this has come a long way in a year.  The video is excellent, I'm getting a strong Homeworld vibe.  The blurb is particularly encouraging (emphasis mine):

QuoteShallow Space is an action packed Real Time Strategy space game in a true 3D environment.

It's been 10 years since the true greats of the genre arrived on the scene (Homeworld and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident) and we think that by looking at what made those games great and adding a few twists of originality we can help breath a bit of life into the fairly neglected niché of the 3D movement, space-faring RTS genre.

Scope

Players will control a wide variety of heavily customizable ships throughout an in depth story line and skirmish scenarios, in single player and multiplayer throughout a variety of game modes. With a heavy emphasis on gameplay options, Shallow Space: Insurgency's asymmetrical balance will ensure plenty of variety and replayability.

The scope of play will be a set of planetary systems in which you will be tasked to assemble your battlegroup to deny the opposing force access to your zones of control.

You will do this by mining resources, building stations, acquiring blueprints for ships and weapons assembling your fleet from the individual turrets right up to flotilla organisation. You will complete both structured story and incidental missions for rewards and you will play the game as a battlegroup commander, a small cog in a very big wheel.

Execution

Shallow Space's gameplay will focus on the "macro" style of strategy games. Rather than spending all of your time piloting one ship, or even four or five ships, you will be commanding several flotillas across your designated sector of control. This allows players to focus on the strategy of combat, rather than the tactic involved with piloting a single ship.

Players will have access to a variety of tools to aid them in managing large scale war. Ships will be organized into "flotillas" and "wings," enabling easier fleet management in the intensity of combat. Furthermore, ships will be have some level of autonomy to them, they are piloted by an entire crew after all.

These ship organizations and intelligence allows players to focus on the big picture strategy.

The UI will have a variety of helpful tools, information, and automation to help manage your ships in this potentially difficult environment.

Players will even be able to pause, slow down, and speed up gameplay, all while being able to issue orders. Overwhelmed by too much combat? Pause or slow the game, assess the situation, issue commands, and then resume the game.

Early access begins in August, with full release planned for August 2016.  You can currently buy in for a minimum of $15.  I don't know about anyone else, but I've certainly developed a raging boner!

Linux and Mac planned.  Oh, and Windows, for those of you still using it. :P

panzerde

Yep, definitely in on this one.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: panzerde on June 21, 2015, 03:00:23 PM
Yep, definitely in on this one.

You gonna buy into the early access, mate?

panzerde

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 21, 2015, 03:30:53 PM
You gonna buy into the early access, mate?

Yeah, I think I will. Looks pretty polished based on the videos I've seen. Even if a campaign isn't in place yet it looks worth it for the sandbox fights.

Huw the Poo

Safe.  I'll look forward to your impressions!