The n00b to end all wars!

Started by MetalDog, September 06, 2014, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Ok.  So I snagged a copy of 'To End All Wars.'  I wanted to be in on the latest thing at the same time as every one else.  The funny thing is, nothing about this game is at all what I like.  The time period, the duration, the scope, none of it.  And on top of it, I tried, and failed, my only other AGEod attempt, American Civil War.  "Why bother," you might ask?  Because.  That answer worked for me as a kid, I figure it should work for me now.

In case it doesn't, the answer to, "why," is actually several reasons.  First, I really don't know much outside the broad strokes of World War I and history, more importantly, battles, was the main reason I started playing wargames.  So, exploring this era will enlighten me.  Second, learning different styles of play may bring me added enjoyment.  Taking full advantage of a games strengths and weaknesses is a fun exercise and what I learn here can only broaden my knowledge for other games.  And last, I have been in a gaming funk for a while.  I love me some TBS civ building, but, I think I am going to like that this is focused largely on the war aspect.

In any event, with as much traffic as was generated in the Computer Wargaming forum for this game, I figured there might be some call for an AAR.  As I hadn't seen one yet, I thought I'd write one myself.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I spent a couple of hours today reading the manual.  Would much rather have a paper than a .pdf, but, you take what you can get.  I have chosen to play the Central Powers for no other reason than I never play Germany in a WWII game.  Just from reading the manual, some of the goals I have for my alliance are:

* Disrupting Allied shipping through sub warfare

* Trying to keep the U.S. out of the war, GB, too, if possible

* Keeping the East fluid while stalemating in the West

* Putting Russia out before turning to France

* Avoiding big ass battles that get lots of my guys dead

Having said all that, I played through the seven Turn Tannenberg scenario and realize that I haven't the faintest idea how to conduct a Grand Campaign in this game.  But that's why it's called The n00b to end all wars.  I'm the n00b and youse guys get to watch me fall down on my face.

W8taminute

Can't wait to see what you post MD.  These AGEOD games are tough nuts to crack but once you get the gist of how to play you will find them rewarding.  The biggest stumbling block for me when I started playing anything from AGEOD was the fact that the unit counters stand upright much like the pieces you move in Stratego.  As someone who's used to visualizing the situation with counters that lie 'flat' on the board it was difficult to see things clearly at first.  You get used to it though. 

The other key to getting the hang of these games is that moving, producing units, sending out diplomats, etc. is all drag and drop action.  There are no buttons to press to execute orders like you would see in a typical wargame. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

I honestly wanted to jump right in and start screen shotting and posting, but I've spent the last two hours looking at the map, wondering what the HELL I am going to do with all those counters and HOW am I going to keep track of them!  I spent the last twenty looking at the map in Terrain mode.    I've checked my Generals and see some traits I want to exploit and envisioning the forces I am going to build around them.  Plus, I made some moves very confidently and now that I have looked around further, it appears that I have misstepped already.  And while I don't mind being pointed at and made sport of, there is a certain level of pride that says, "I'm going to try a few things out before I post anything FOR REALZ!"  So, give me a bit of time and I will try to get this started sooner than later.  Kind of excited though.  Looks like a much bigger challenge than I expected.  And I can always tell how much I like a game by how much time it occupies in my thoughts while I am away from the screen.

TacticalWargames

The game is way easier than it looks..infact it feels little lacking and I can't put my finger on it. Not a patch on WW1Gold then again no where near as complex as WW1Gold. There are aspects I like but not sure it can do static warfare properly. My obsession with WW1 helps..if I wasn't prob not stick with it. I like the combat mechanics and all the modifiers and have a casualty count on the other hand WW1Gold really got WW1 right with the way HQ's sent in reserves for their front.

Shame there isn't a campaign game where you can play as Germany or Austria only.

Also would have been cool to have some smaller campaigns and say have one for Italy when it comes into the War.

I thinking it may have been abit rushed when ti comes to features etc to make sure it was released around August for the start of the centennial.

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on September 06, 2014, 11:05:48 PM
I honestly wanted to jump right in and start screen shotting and posting, but I've spent the last two hours looking at the map, wondering what the HELL I am going to do with all those counters and HOW am I going to keep track of them!  I spent the last twenty looking at the map in Terrain mode.    I've checked my Generals and see some traits I want to exploit and envisioning the forces I am going to build around them.  Plus, I made some moves very confidently and now that I have looked around further, it appears that I have misstepped already.  And while I don't mind being pointed at and made sport of, there is a certain level of pride that says, "I'm going to try a few things out before I post anything FOR REALZ!"  So, give me a bit of time and I will try to get this started sooner than later.  Kind of excited though.  Looks like a much bigger challenge than I expected.  And I can always tell how much I like a game by how much time it occupies in my thoughts while I am away from the screen.

Looking forward to it MD - insert popcorn smiley

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

bob48

I'll be following this with interest - good luck, MD  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Ok.  Got a few more things straightened out on what I should be doing.  I have spent an inordinate amount of time staring at the terrain map, trying to figure routes of attack, chokepoints, defensive positions and what not.  From what I can glean, it looks like a holding action in the west and south with most offensive push in the east.  The maps I am going to post are NE, SE, SW and NW, in that order.  I am hoping the terrain will be obvious, because there are no markers telling us where we are.  It'll be description only. 

First up, the NE map.  East Prussia and Hunagry will be the main staging areas.  A slow advance through the heavily forested western border of Russia towards Moscow will be combined with a AH push through Poland and the southern steppes north of the Black Sea.  Serbia needs to be overrun as well.  A tall order for Austria, but, we'll see how things go.

MetalDog

As you can see above, there is a LARGE swath of open land and only one river in the east and central portion of Russia for Austria to exploit.  The push out of Hungary through Poland will join Germany in the forests and swamps, yes, that dark patch in the middle of the trees is the Priapet Marshes.  I am hoping that I can take and hold all that open country and sap the Russian will, leaving the defense north of that, weak and lacking morale and cohesion.

I'm not sure why the Regional Decisions window is open in this screenshot, but, there it is SE Russia including the Balkans.  The river system dominating the map in the center and west encompasses Serbia, which is a primary target for AH.  Once I hook up with Bulgaria, there shouldn't be a great deal of problem with the small nations in the area.

MetalDog

The familiar form of northern Italy and southwestern and central France are on the next map.  Once Italy joins the Entente, I will try to hold the line in the Alps and keep any advance down the eastern Adriatic contained.  Any AH units and production that is left over (fat chance) will be used to plug holes on the Western Front.

MetalDog

Which leaves us the VERY familiar contours and terrain of northern and eastern France, western Germany and the island fortress of Great Britain.  I really don't have much hope of holding France long enough to put Russia out of the war and then coming back for the West, but, if I can, I feel like it will be a victory all the way around.  Paris, just at the edge of the right side of the mini-map, is a VERY tantalizing target, but, unless something presents itself, I will take a long time getting there.

MetalDog

The starting forces in Belgium:

1 Army, Commanded by King Albert I in Bruxelles and a Division due south of the King
The defenders of Liege, which is under siege by:

2 German Armies &
6 Corps

I've detached one of the besieging armies to chase the lone Belgian Division away, anticipating the attack on Bruxelles that will commence once Liege is mine.

The French have 1 Army and 4 Corps in Sedan.  I have the same amount in three seperate Regions of the Ardennes.

And in South Central France, Longwys contains 1 Army and 4 Corps, one of which is Colonial.  My opposing force is the same, with 4 Corps in Thionville and an Army in Luxembourg.