B-17: The Mighty 8th - An AAR of WTHAID* (FULL CREW, but need fodder)

Started by BanzaiCat, November 07, 2014, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

How about calling it 'The Pun Lover' in honor of the Steve McQueen movie?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

SDR, I hate to break it to you, but with this lot, there's going to be some punnery involved with the bomber's name. :)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

To be fair, historically a lot of bombers used pun names.

Incidentally, Granduncle John's bomber didn't; I don't know who came up with the name, but she was called "Slightly Dangerous".  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

One of those birds in the list, "The Four Freedoms", makes me wish I could name a bomber "The Fifth Freedom" after the Tom Clancy game series "Splinter Cell". After all, the bomber is given the 5th Freedom (i.e. the freedom to kick the asses of anyone threatening the first four freedoms.  8) )

...though I just realized mostly bombers kicked the asses of civilian workers (and often their families) supplying (or enslaved by) those who have already taken away some or all of the 4 freedoms.  :-[ :'( So, yeah, never mind.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

KICK ASS would be a good name for a bomber...surely B-17 The Mighty 8th has a donkey insignia somewhere...I cannot recall, I'll have to check.

BanzaiCat

First mission done. Boring as hell but the flak was pretty vicious. I'll get the video uploaded at some point today once I figure the best settings for publication.

BanzaiCat

Well alrighty then. FRAPS created a 43GB video file that I can't get to my work laptop for editing. I'm going to have to try to download a free video converting program to see if I can greatly reduce that file size.

I missed the FRAPS option to split the video every 4GB. Had I done that I could have moved it over in chunks. I might need to redo this video/mission again.

EDIT: Yeah, guys...sorry. I'm going to have to redo it. My hard drive on this PC is only 500GB and it's already mostly full. I just don't have wiggle room to play with video files this large on this computer. On my work laptop, no problem. On this...hmm. I do have Steam on my work laptop so maybe I'll be pulling some Mighty 8th missions on it instead of on this PC.

Just a delay, gents. I think I have a plan now. Sorry about this but I'll get to it soon.

BanzaiCat

Nope, nothing going right this morning. Steam won't connect on my work laptop and it's done it plenty of times before with no issues. Today for some reason it refuses to do it, so I can't download B17 to it and can't test it out there. Will have to wait until I get to the office tomorrow morning and see what the problem is. I thought it might be the proxy but I've tried several things and it just won't cooperate today.

BanzaiCat

Looks like it was the proxy on my work laptop. I was able to download B-17 on it here, and got FRAPS here as well, so I'll be testing it out tonight. Hopefully I can get a mission in finally.

Nefaro

Sounds like Steam was giving you more problems than ze German flak.  :o

BanzaiCat

Yeah, well, I think it's more the network connection on this laptop than anything else. Also it might be trying to block Steam, which technically shouldn't be on here. However I only intend to play it offline...now that it's loaded up and FRAPS is on here, I don't need to connect it to the Internet except to upload the final video to YouTube.

This will probably be trial and error in both play and production as we proceed, so hopefully it is a good show.

Strangely, I've tried this first mission twice now. The first time I was just testing everything, and the target was Brest. We got hammered by German fighters and flak both, putting lots of holes in the plane. But every one of them made it back to England.

In the second mission (the one I recorded but was 43GB in size), absolutely no German fighters came up to meet us; only flak, and it was very effective. It knocked out 'my' Pilot and the Navigator as well, but strangely only the pilot was considered wounded and out for a few days to recover. When the Navigator (SDR) got hit, I jumped to that compartment and saw him sitting there with his head on his desk and a big hole in the viewport in front of him. I would have sworn he'd be dead.

Anyway, I'll test it tonight to be sure everything works and maybe move forward tonight or tomorrow as long as there's no more issues.

JasonPratt

I remember the crew-damage model for this game being... schizophrenic? Something like that.

Also, manual navigation was broken; don't know if that's been patched. Loved looking out the windows trying to get fixes though.

BanzaiCat

Good news. Late last night I tweaked my work laptop to the point of finally letting me record a game of B-17. It works well and FRAPS records at a high frame rate, so it should be good.

I won't have time to do a full mission until later this week, though.