Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on April 12, 2021, 07:24:09 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2021, 07:08:47 AM
I don't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a game and I have only finished the intro to Planescape. Probably some of the best writing I have seen in any game.

Ohhh man Gus you are missing out. Planescape Torment was probably one of the best RPG's to come out from that era and that has it going up against the likes of BG 2, Fallout and Fallout 2.

Almost every character is extremely well written and they have interesting backstories.

I agree...one of the greats.  But beware...you will be doing a lot of reading, more so than any other RPG of this ilk.

Gusington

^Yeah I have already and that was just the intro! It was a pleasure, though. Looking forward to more. And I found the combat oddly satisfying too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's the game I thought I would hate but turned-out loving instead. Truly a fantastic story-driven game. It's got quirks and oddities, and it's a bit of a long haul to the end in my opinion but at the end, I couldn't quit playing until I got all the, 'Answers' as it was. Also this game doesn't hold your hand all the way through, you'll have to figure it out and that can be kind of tough at times. But hang in there because the effort is worth it and in so many places you can't see what's coming until it hits you, and then I was stunned at times. Terribly sad in places and funny and if I'm remembering correctly, multiple possible ways to end the game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Yes all those characteristics popped up already in just 2-3 hours!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I just finished The Last of Us Part II on Playstation 4, moderate difficulty. 

The gameplay is incredibly fun when you're fighting against humans and rather dull when you're fighting the zombies, imo.  The gunfights against human AIs are really satisfying, and they require you to think tactically and outmaneuver and ambush your enemies to survive, even if you're going guns blazing with a ton of ammo.  Combat is super lethal and the game is happy to remind you that you are, at best, a well-armed meatbag. 

You can pick up bottles and bricks and pipes to brawl it out when things get hairy, but your opponent's buddies won't just watch and wait their turn - they'll jump right in or shoot you or, rarely, shoot the guy you're fighting by accident (this happened once in my playthrough  :DD).  It's also great hearing the enemy soldiers shout stuff to each other and call each other by name.  When you dome-shot somebody's friend right in front of them and they cry out "OH GOD, NOT JIM!" it feels great/horrible, depending on how you want to look at it.   :buck2:

When you fight zombies it's just kinda, I dunno.  You sneak around and stab stuff and if you get caught, it turns into Left 4 Dead for a few minutes.  Yawn.

There are quite a bit more guns and ammo in general than the previous game so I didn't struggle nearly as much with scarce ammo management as the first game, but that's kinda to be expected with a sequel.  The flamethrower is awesome but you don't get to use it nearly enough.  I hated the mechanic of switching between 2 characters and using different loadouts and ability sets for each one, just as I hated it with GTA V, but you at least don't switch between them super often -- maybe 4 times total.  According to my save file it took 23 hours to finish the game, which presumably includes time spent on failed attempts where I reloaded saves, which happened a LOT.

Without going into any spoilers, the story sucked ass.  I'm not even one of those people that was upset about "that" plot point (if you don't know what I mean, don't worry about it and consider yourself lucky - the fanbase of this game was famously rabidly angry about an early plot twist).  That said, the characters and setting were rendered in amazing graphics and incredible voice acting and convincing motion capture work, with some good dialogue here and there.  It's just a shame that the few charismatic characters (Joel, Tommy, Owen, Isaac) barely had any time in the game, and the majority of your time is spent hanging around some cardboard cutouts (Dina, Jesse, Lev, Manny, etc). 

The plot was an incoherent mess and the writers clearly spent more time coming up with ways to daze the audience with jarring time skips than coming up with plausible explanations for various plot points.  Where the hell did Dina and Ellie find the unscathed farmhouse in a dreamy plain with no infected or bad guys around?  How do characters keep managing to implausibly chance into each other in all of war-torn Seattle just when it's convenient?  For that matter, at one point they suggest that Ellie effectively re-does the entire trek from their home town to Salt Lake City, where along which spent the entire first game dodging danger, but they just hand wave it away and act like Salt Lake City is just 15 minutes away from Jackson, MS.  Ridiculous.

Anyway, if you can ignore the stupid story and lame characters, the gameplay is incredible and highly recommended if you need your fix The Road by Cormac McCarthy crossed with Uncharted.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win al.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Just made the last steam achievement for Stars in Shadow. One of the few games i will ever have 100% achievements. Made me play all the races and discover different mechanics of the game i may never have otherwise.  8)

nobodyjune61944

Quote from: Anguille on May 30, 2021, 01:18:12 AM
Just made the last steam achievement for Stars in Shadow. One of the few games i will ever have 100% achievements. Made me play all the races and discover different mechanics of the game i may never have otherwise.  8)
Wow!

Sir Slash

Quite the accomplishment.  :clap:

W8taminute

Quote from: Anguille on May 30, 2021, 01:18:12 AM

Nice!  I've platinumed a few playstation games but never a steam game.  Good job!!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

Thanks.

I think it should be possible to complete all achievements in a game in 100-200 hours. Many games have achievements nobody will have make which is kind of absurd i believe. Achievements should motivate casual players to discover all the facets of a game imho. You can keep some for the hardcore players but not everyone's going to spend 1'000 hours on a game (i look at you GalCiv3  ::)) or win a every possible type of victories with every faction (many games have this) or example. The team around Stars in Shadow made it good though i already got all of them with less than 100 hours of gameplay.

nobodyjune61944

This is one of the best threads on the site.

Gusington

For the first time ever, I have finished a game and it came as a total surprise. There I was, minding my own business in Assassin's Creed: Origins, enjoying side quests and scenery, when I broke the main game open in the last couple of hours.

Without giving too much away, the protagonists participate in the most famous assassination in history, and then found their new 'Assassin's Creed,' which spans ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome...thus the subtitle. Took me about 45 hours.

I still have the Hidden Ones and The Curse of the Pharaohs DLCs to play, but the main quest is done.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Congrats! Miracles do happen ;D

Gusington

Thank you, Sir. According to UbiSoft Connect, I am 75% complete in Assassin's Creed Odyssey as well. Who knew?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd