Undercovergeek v Jomni - CMBS PBEM - Jomni can look if he wants

Started by undercovergeek, April 05, 2015, 06:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

So, not content with killing Con i have decided to take up the challenge of killing Jomni too.

A small battle, to be fought over a little town in Godknowswhereski, but Russian high command says they want it - so take it i shall

......static........... ''You want THIS town? Are you sure?''

........''Just take the damn town Comrade!!''

........''Ok, ok''

On the left flank, most of a company, trimmed down to free up some points for big toys, they'll race for the hill in the distance, dismount and attempt to take Jomni in the flank as he enters the town

To their right guarding the first main road into town a BMP3 - hard as rock and deadly in Airland Battle so i brought some - always one with the complicated strategy me

To his right, another guarding the next road into town, and some AT troops, who'll climb the rise and deploy at the top covering the road and the right hand corner of the map

To his right the heavy weapons teams, theyll race to the trees and cover the avenues of approach into town from the rooftops and tight corners

And on the end a T72, slightly cheaper than a T90, he'll climb this rise and cover anything to the right of the map opposite him

As the battle starts he spots an APC attempting to enter the town - BOOM - scratch one APC and hopefully all who ride in her

A few seconds later dismounted Ukranian troops can be sign on the right flank - BOOM - scratch some bad guys

And a few seconds after that another APC squeezes past his burning brothers - BOOM - hes burning too - hoorah for the T72, and theres more on the horizon too

undercovergeek

The T72 continues to dominate the horizons on the right hand side - another APC appears over a crest

Seconds later a shot pings off the frontal armour, the T72 fires smoke all over the place and reverses back down the rise. A couple more seconds later and this beast appears on the opposite horizon

Whilst he sorts himself out, his neighbouring BMP3 spots another APC heading up the high street

On the left, 2nd Platoon, B company have a bit of a nightmare - everyones dismounted and headed into the cover of the forest and the APCs slowly move forward to support them but an enemy vehicle on the other side of the hill spots them and takes 2 vehicles out

undercovergeek

2nd platoon shake off the attack and head closer to the cover of the back of the factory wall

From the safety of cover they tend to the wounded while the gunner spies some Ukranians approaching the back of the shops

1st platoon, dash from the woods to cover the front of the shops, behind them are 2 APCs with cannons trained on the windows. Shortly after this i realise the madness of sitting in the street and they move to the building behind this shot, also with eyes on the doors and windows

On the extreme left, 1st platoon, A company approach the back of the factory, here theyll split off an AT team who will crawl into the trees.............

...........and take out anything down the tracks

on the right a BMP3 covering the right hand lane into town luckily intercept an incoming rocket just off the tip off its nose

and again

in the panic to evade the incoming AT fire he reverses through the tree cover. Oh ****

undercovergeek

It all goes to plan on the far left - 1st Platoon work their way through the forest and their APC slowly follows them in for support

To their right 2nd platoon get it in the face again from the same vehicle who moved up to the rails - i hate this guy!

More casualties for 2nd Platoon

The BMP3 makes it back into cover by sprinting across the road and behind the housing walls

I accuse this sneaky Ukranian dog of firing the missiles!

See what happens when you make me mad - DO YOU??? youre not even there anymore, just vapour - shakes fist

JasonPratt

Quoteyoure not even there anymore, just vapour

And then adding insult to that injury, the game itself says he's "Done".  >:D

Btw, what's up with this village? It's like those little Cold War towns in southern Siberia which existed solely to train spies for infiltrating America, so all the roads are perfectly paved out to two hundred yards outside town and then just stop!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

it is indeed a Russian village from some 1970s cold war documentary, just missing the queues for bread

On the far left, 1st Platoon settles down and covers the approaches to the forest

Obsessive Compulsive First Aiders of the 2nd Platoon still bandage their comrades despite the enemy vehicle laying down fire on the top of the hill

Vehicles move in with the troops to provide cover - i have a sneaky feeling theres Ukranian dogs in this compund

AT troops could net get a bead on the tank from their initial position so they slowly advance and find a spot in the corn field, theyll redoply the cannon of doom here and see what happens

Then this happens, dont know if it was a wayward missile or a spotting round - well see

undercovergeek

ok epic upgrade imminent as the forces meet in the middle

Yuri and Sergei, the recon element of 1st Platoon, A company occupy the yard - Yuri takes aim with the RPG...............

Scratch another Ukranian APC, presumably sneaking through a hole it made in the wall.

On very rare occassions i make astute tactical decisions - when i sent Yuri and Sergei forward i was going to send in the whole squad, but i decided to keep the main body behind the wall and let the recon do its job.

And it was a good decision, because after the enemy APC explodes enemy fire pours from this building overlooking the yard

Yuri pays the ultimate sacrifice for his heroism, and Sergei runs like a madman for cover, small arms fire pinging off his surroundings

An APC rolls to the front to cover the team and begins surpressing the house

A BMP3 is moved towards the action to provide cover and deal with an IFV sound contact on the horizon in front of these guys

The centre map, here left centre, 1 is the house over looking the yard where Yuri just left us, i figure the troops coming down the side of the house will be heading to that row of houses to get better eyes on my position. 2 is a suspected RPG team, all the smoke is from a BMP3 that intercepted a rocket and fired off smoke before reveresing - i suspect this is the team that fired it

The BMP3 shooting down the incoming rocket

undercovergeek

Centre map, right of centre

It seems weve got to that point where the forces meet in the middle -

At point 1 in the bottom left -

This team spot an APC behind the building

and then explode!! APC saw me first and unloaded on the corner of the building

At point 2, street fighting as troops vie for advantageous positions. This team won the battle but suffered terrible casualties from a building opposite the courtyard as it made its way to the top of the building

Out on the right the enemy tank gets rolling

Just as my enemy Kornet team finishing redeploying on the plains opposite - thats going to leave a mark i think

yup, scorchy

undercovergeek

There are times in CM when you feel the game slipping away from you, the next few turns were those times for me...............

In honour of Yuri we lay waste to the top floor of the house, if anyone was still in there, theyre doomed

Further to the right we move APCs forward to support the guys in the houses. I know, I know IFVs in urban enviroments, but ive got this

Arse..... credit to Jomni, he really knows how to explode an APC!

and a little further to the right this APC appears on the corner - i have 2 of my own here so it shouldnt be a problem

Except it is!! The first APC spots him too late and explodes in true Jomni style

and then he slowly rolls forward, under the watchful eye of the 2nd APC, and blows him up too - questions will be asked post battle of what the guys in this APC were doing!!

To add insult to injury, the enemy vehicle then kills the MG team further back. 2 BMP3s are sent to this sector to deal with this 'Ukranian Hero'

'Slow to the treeline, yup, got that, then reverse so as not to present flank to anyone down the rail track, yup, yup, got that too' - in a moment of perfect timing the BMP 3 turns sideways on as this guy comes over the horizon, not 3 seconds before they were pointing a massive cannon straight at this point - now, well................

That was quite spectacular!! Good Lord those things can push out some rounds. Just behind this shot is the T72 without a line to the enemy vehicle, hes going to back up and go to the left of the wrecked BMP so his right is covered by smoke for a while, hell creep far enough forward to hit this i hope

and then rounds start impacting this wall - i dont think Jomni has seen the troops, merely hes making holes to drive through

On a better note the BMP3 just to the left of here spots the enemy rocket troops that keep shooting at it, and also an enemy vehicle - theyre both dispatched

JasonPratt

Scattered bits of decrypted radio chatter from your enemy indicates the Ukes aren't having an easy time of it either (if that helps you feel better. No details, of course.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

It goes from bad to worse, on my left the enemy vehicle obviously sights the T72 in the woods and pops smoke and reverses back up the hill. He still has sight on one of my APCs coming through the forest and moving right to cover 2nd Platoon. This vehicle takes out an enemy APC at the back of the houses at almost the same time as the APC behind the smoke kills him, the T72 then spots an enemy APC by the railway lines and blasts him

The BMP3 i sent to take out the Hero of the Ukraine? he comes over the rise and scans the horizon, intercepts an incoming missile and then erupts in a shower of sparks and debris as auto cannon fire pillages the vehicle, its destroyed - that enemy guy - i hate him

That WAS the building that housed the rocket team that tried to kill the other BMP3, bodies in the street say we won

The APC covering the row of shops in the courtyard? been there since turn 2 - eyes permanently on the shops in case any rocket troops get in? Yeah, they did, and now hes a burning wreck - the squad in the house turn him into swiss cheese but im not liking this exchange of one APC for one rocket trooper  :-[

undercovergeek

More of a morale boosting 2 turns

The destroyed AFV crew member meeting area, they get to chat about their experience and share ideas

Took me a while to work out why Jomni was so insistent on killing this APC, then realised he could see the ATG crew behind it but couldnt get any shots through

BMP3 comes over the hump and takes out an APC - its not the hero though, hes behind the trees out of LOS - ill get him though!

A rare moment of tactical genius actually pays off - the RPG crew from early on finally sneak up to the rails, battered, bruised and exhausted, they steady their aim and take out a distant APC in the trees - the RPG-er is at the front, the guy behind him also fired some kind of airburst weapon that exploded over the APC

The BMP in the street on the left takes down another APC after destroying the building - its a burning mess at the end of the road and its all this guys fault

Overview -

undercovergeek

Without any other targets the tank spots this little fella and turns him into hamburger

There is a crap ton of enemy fire coming out the house just above centre picture, pinning the team in the opening there

The plan is to move the section on the right into the town on Jomnis flank, and slowly press forward on his front

But to do that I need to get through this wall, for the last 3 turns weve been trying to knock it down

Getting into position to take down the wall and advance on Jomni this guy appears with LOS to the T72, will you look at the size of the explosion in the background - god knows what that thing fires, the crater is like a mine shaft. He misses, just

The graveyard, the first 2 APCs are knocked out, the active ones are in the trees working on the wall - the T72 advances on the wall to simply drive right through it, its just fallen into the crater the rocket left

This was actually an error with plotting, an APC, all be it out of ammo, moves right up to the wall, the ghost enemy APC that keeps popping over the horizon takes him out but............ also blows the wall up!! 3 cheers for Jomni

undercovergeek

The forlorn hope enter the breach - lets see how long they last. They spot an MG team on the right and engage there, then become the first troops to enter the square - they dont last long - the big issue here is the designer or the QB system has put the bottom floor of the building lower than the ground around it, therefore i cant get an angle on the building to provide covering fire, i can only engage troops after theyve fired

Further troops line up behind the Forlorn Hope to provide any cover fire possible

Just in time the BMP3 turns up and starts blasting holes in the building

Enemy troops are seen leaving the building

This should give the troops here an opportunity to start pressing right

undercovergeek

I must apologise for anyone who read this - i forgot to update it, the last few turns became so engrossing, so tactical (for me anyway) i completely forgot all about the AAR and couldnt wait for the next update

The last post was the Russians trying to break through on the right, this was the first time id actually successfully employed, fix, fire and flank - with all of Jomnis troops facing forward into the town centre and facing my smaller force of troops they couldnt stop me rolling up from the right.

It started once the first house fell and the Ukranians started running, it let the russians move into that building and support any other troops running past them and then it was a case of leap frogging from house to house with the occupiers of the previous house covering the advancing troops, once the roll up started my assaulting troops took no casualties such was the amount of fire i could bring on Jomni

What became more interesting was bringing the AFVs back into town - it was virtually impossible to dislodge Jomni from some buildings so we slowly brought 4 AFVs back into the streets to start blasting at the houses they were in, given 2 directions of attack or retreating out of the back, Jomnis forces were pushed out of the buildings and back over the tracks, where other AFVs were placed to catch routers in the cross fire, soon after that the sneaky Ukranians were defeated

The high street

Scores