Northern Fury - H-Hour: A CMANO AAR

Started by Airborne Rifles, April 09, 2015, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

As things in the air have been settling down, the action at sea has been heating up somewhat. My Ula-class submarine, the Utstein, has been creeping towards the squadron of four Tarantul-class frigates since destroying the Nanutchkas shortly after the beginning of hostilities. The Tarantuls are heading west at 30 kts, and the captain decides to repeat his previous attack by launching a spread of four torpedoes, one at each frigate. He makes the decision to launch these at long range, as the torpedoes will close the gap with the Russian faster than the submarine and this will save some time and allow him to go after other targets. Just as the last torpedo shudders out of the tube the four enemy ships execute a 90 degree turn and start heading south. This appears to be a preplanned course-change rather than a response to my attack, but it has the effect of throwing off the weapons' target solutions. If the Tarantuls maintain this new course then the Utstein's fish won't have the endurance to chase them down, since the speed of the torpedoes is only 5 kts faster than the Russians. This is a major disappointment, as now the Utstein, certainly the most capable Norwegian unit in this theater, has only six torpedoes remaining. The captain orders a turn south and an increase in speed to hopefully trap the Russian ships against the coast or in a fjord.

At the same time, the coastal radar at the Cape reports that the two Zubr-class hovercraft have also altered course south and are making for the port of Mehamn, nestled in a small bay 40 miles east of the Cape. The only unit nearby that can possibly intervene is the sole remaining missile boat from the central missile group. This boat is ordered out of its fjord and around into the bay to try to stop the landing, but it will take time. The Zubrs are moving at 60 kts and will make landfall long before help can arrive.

Much further south, about 100 miles north of Andoya, a patrolling P-3 Orion detects a chance submerged MAD contact. The only nearby friendly submarine, the Kobben, is well to the north and snorkeling, and so this contact can only be hostile. A radio order goes out for the Kobben to turn south while two more P-3s take off from Andoya with sonobuoys and torpedoes. They quickly join the first P-3 and localize the contact, identifying it as an SSK moving south at 3 kts. The Kobben, having turned into the baffles of the contact, launches two torpedoes at long range. These slowly close with the murky contact, who doesn't appear to hear them until far too late. Both torpedoes impact, and a Soviet Kilo class diesel boat settles to the sea floor.

Back above the cape, the two Russian hovercraft have entered the bay at Mehamn and quickly begin disgorging troops and armored vehicles. The platoon at Mehamn reports at least two companies of naval infantry with BTRs, but no tanks. These land east and west of the town and begin enveloping the defenders, though they keep their distance for now. At the same time, the slow Russian convoy further east turns towards Batsfjord, and with the loss of the easternmost missile boats there is absolutely nothing to interfere with their mission.

The easternmost surviving missile boat travelling at flank speed turns into the head of the bay before Mehamn and quickly acquires the two Russian hovercraft. The captain looses his four Penguin Mk. 2 missiles before turning to try to get back into the fjords ahead of the advancing Tarantul frigates. The Russian hovercraft have significant defenses, however, and three of the missiles fall to gun and missile fire. The fourth streaks in and wrecks one of the massive Zubrs. This attack hasn't prevented the Russians from occupying Mehamn, which I'm sure they will do as soon as they get around to overrunning the platoon there, but hopefully the loss of one of these very large and capable vessels will help to curtail further landings along the coast in the coming days.

In the meantime, the other missile boat is racing east to try to stay ahead of the Tarantuls, which are heading for the mouth of the fjord, and also to link up with the other withdrawing missile boat. As it does this, it acquires the four Tarantuls, which have slowed to around 15 kts, and fires of its four Penguin Mk. 1 missiles at them. Unfortunately Russian jamming interferes with both the targeting and the guidance of this salvo, and all four missiles go wild and slam into the sea. The crew of the boat thinks it likely the Russian frigates didn't even know they were under attack. The Russians continue south, preceded by the missile boat racing to link up with the other survivor withdrawing from the attack on the Zubrs. The mission of the frigates seems to be the sweep the fjord of these craft, and my boats withdraw deeper into the darkening night.

While the missile boats attempt to link up deeper in the fjord, the Soviets start landing at Batsfjord and quickly overrun the platoon there. The Russians now control every significant port and airfield between Banak and the Russian border. This, in conjunction with the fact that I can't reliably get aircraft up there, means that the enemy now  essentially controls the sea and air east of the Cape. Strategically, I imagine this means that Soviet naval and air forces will have much shorter flights and easier access to the north Atlantic. Troubling news for NATO. This impression is confirmed by a message from NATO headquarters that submarine pickets are reporting a major breakout attempt by the Red Banner Northern Fleet.  This is a powerful task force including two Kuznetsov-class CVs, two Kiev-class carriers, and two Kirov-class battlecruisers. Fortunately, this nut will be someone else's to crack (probably mine in a later scenario), but it may interfere with future reinforcement to my front.

The drama between the Tarantuls and the missile boats in the fjord begins to play out. As the enemy frigates enter they fjord their formation begins to string out as they pick their way through the narrow waters in the gathering arctic dusk, but it is clear they are coming for my missile boats, which are still separated on opposite sides of a tributary fjord. Of these, one has four wire-guided torpedoes and the other only its 40mm Bofors cannon. Their only hope is to rendezvous and try to give the Russians a bloody nose, then disappear along the coast into the darkness.

As the torpedo-equipped boat rushes across the fjord to link up with the second boat hiding in a small cove, the lead Taratul turns rounds the headland and starts lobbing 76mm shells. These get progressively closer, causing blast damage that disables one of the four torpedo launchers before the boat can speed into the cove and link up with its mate. That captains confer briefly and decide their only hope is to sally out and try to torpedo the lead Russian frigate, which has strayed far ahead of the other three enemy ships. As the Norwegians emerge from the cove the Tarantul again begins rapid fire from its 76mm gun. The Norwegians return fire with 40mm Bofors, but the range is too long for these to be effective. They do conceal from the Russians, however, the three torpedoes that slip into the water and begin heading for the Russian at 35 kts. Not fast enough for one of the missile boats, however. Two direct hits from 76mm shells in quick succession leave the craft sinking in the icy waters. The Russians now turn their attention to the second boat, which incidentally is the one directing the torpedoes. It's a race between the fish and the Russian's ability to find the range with their gun. Just as shells begin bracket the missile boat, causing damage and casualties, the first torpedo reaches the frigate and lifts it out of the water with an enormous explosion that echoes off the fjord walls. My sailors have survived another harrowing engagement, for now. The remaining missile boat picks up the survivors from their fellow craft and head deep into another cove, hoping to evade detection from the three remaining Tarantuls, who themselves don't realize they are being pursued into the fjord by the Utstein. 

OJsDad

Great read so far AR. 

What are the air and naval loses to each side so far. 

From what I've gathered so far, you probably couldn't have done much better than you have already.  Taking out that airborne raid was worth the lose of the F5 I would think.  Not only did they lose an airborne brigade, but the transports also.  Picking off their AW craft is also been big.  Those aircraft are expensive to replace and have highly trained crews. 

I'm not sure what's in store for you in the remainder of this scenario, but I think you've given Ivan a pretty good bloody nose.  I sounds like if you can keep control of Banak, you will have a pretty good victory on you hands. 

Why did you use the sub to take out the Kilo.  I would have thought you would use the Orions and saved the subs torpedoes for later, since it will not be able to rearm soon and the Orion's can rearm quickly.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

Hi OJsDad,

QuoteWhat are the air and naval loses to each side so far. 

Stay tuned for my tally of friendly and enemy losses to this point ;). The writing is still catching up with the gameplay.

QuoteFrom what I've gathered so far, you probably couldn't have done much better than you have already.  Taking out that airborne raid was worth the lose of the F5 I would think.  Not only did they lose an airborne brigade, but the transports also.  Picking off their AW craft is also been big.  Those aircraft are expensive to replace and have highly trained crews.

I agree, I've done better than would have happened in real life.  I actually started the scenario a couple times, got overwhelmed by so many things happening at once, and quit. So, this time I had an idea of what the Russians were going to throw at me in the first few minutes. Even so, I think you'll see that my losses have actually been rather heavy. I am going to need the replacements from the UK and Holland if the Russians keep coming like they have. I agree, defeating the airborne drop was huge, but it forced me to accept losses that, if the paratroopers had gotten through, would have been unacceptably high. It worked out though.

QuoteI'm not sure what's in store for you in the remainder of this scenario, but I think you've given Ivan a pretty good bloody nose.  I sounds like if you can keep control of Banak, you will have a pretty good victory on you hands.

I'm excited to see what else the scenario has in store. Right now I feel good about my odds of holding on to Banak, but there have been some developments in the scenario that I haven't written up yet that might make this challenging. The F-15s and -16s from the south give me a good shot, though.

QuoteWhy did you use the sub to take out the Kilo.  I would have thought you would use the Orions and saved the subs torpedoes for later, since it will not be able to rearm soon and the Orion's can rearm quickly.

That was the computer's doing, combined with a mistake of mine. I wanted the Orions to kill the sub, but I had the torpedoes on the Kobben set for kinematic range, so as soon as I turned it around and gave it a mission to start hunting the contact, it launched the torpedoes at max range. Not how I planned it, but it worked out  :).

OJsDad

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on April 14, 2015, 08:28:28 AM
Hi jomni, no all aircraft are at veteran skill level. It will be interesting to see if these change in subsequent scenarios. I'm sure several of my pilots have made ace in the first few hours of the war!

I haven't played CMANO yet.  Is this scenario one of a series taking place in Norway.  Do the results in the previous battles effect fallow on battles, ie, the lose of the airborne brigade and their aircraft will make them unavailable in later scenarios. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Airborne Rifles

QuoteI haven't played CMANO yet.  Is this scenario one of a series taking place in Norway.  Do the results in the previous battles effect fallow on battles, ie, the lose of the airborne brigade and their aircraft will make them unavailable in later scenarios. 

This is the first in a series of "Northern Fury" scenarios set in Norway and the north Atlantic. I think there are seven or eight right now, and the designer has plans for about a dozen more. There is not campaign style play, each scenario is a stand alone, but they all fit into a narrative. If you download the scenarios over at the matrix forums you can also get the scenario designers notes for the geopolitical background behind the war. If all the scenarios are as well-designed as this one I will play every one. They've gotten really positive response from the folks over on the matrix forums as well.

Airborne Rifles

A final aerial drama plays out as the arctic dusk darkens into night. The Russians are maintaining a CAP of two Su-27s over Banak while I maintain a two-ship CAP to the southwest to forestall any raids on my airfields. The Russians are still putting out heavy jamming despite the losses inflicted on their EW aircraft, but for now I decide to allow my crews to rest, refit, and prepare for whatever the Russians have to throw at us next. We'll use the lull to begin to integrate the American and Dutch pilots who have now arrived into our defense plan.

Just as it seems the Russians may be done for the night, the AWACs pick up three more groups of aircraft entering Norway, one with a course crossing over Banak and two coming across Finland.
The AWACS quickly identifies these as fighter bombers, but their targets are indeterminate. The air controllers send the flight of F-16s east to intercept the two groups coming from Finland and order a flight of F-5s to take off from Tromso to engage the raiders coming from the northeast. However, my CAP is low on fuel and proceeds east slowly to avoid using too much up. This means the intercept will occur over central Finnmark. Alas, this is a mistake. Before the F-16s can intercept, one of the Russian flights alters course south and releases four air-to-ground missiles aimed at the Backstop radar array. These all fly true and demolish my most important surviving ground-based sensor array. If only I had had a CAP up with sufficient fuel! They could have intercepted on afterburner and saved the radar. As it is, the airspace over Finnmark, the shortest route to my airfields, will now only be swept from afar by the AWACS off the coast.

The F-16s ignore these raiders for now (they've already expended their ordinance) and instead focus on the second flight that is proceeding past the now burning radar site towards my airfields in central Norway. The pilots flip on their radars and acquire the two Su-24s in the gathering darkness, and down them with Sidewinders. They then turn back east and pursue the other two Russians withdrawing from the radar strike, closing and destroying them with missiles and guns.

Further west I've made another mistake. The AWACS has identified the two raiders coming from the northeast over Banak as Mig-27s flying at minimum altitude. The arctic night is quickly darkening the sky and the F-5s sent to intercept this flight have no radar. The AWACS gives the F-5s a vector to intercept, but the pilots are struggling to visually acquire the enemy bombers as they flight nap of the earth, diving and climbing into the craggy fjords along the North Sea coast. This raid is clearly making for one of my airfields further south, airfields that are now crammed with Norwegian, American, and Dutch planes gathering themselves for what the Russians have to throw at us next. It's too late to launch another flight to intercept, the Russians are now too close. Desperate, the F-5 Pilots drop to under 1,000 feet and strain their eyes to make out the dark shapes of the Russian jets against the snowy mountains below. The AWACS guides them to within two miles but the pilots must now scan for the Russians while trying not to drive their fighters into a fjord cliff-face. There! The flight leader spots one of the Russians cresting a ridgeline and dropping into the fjord valley below. He increases speed to close and fires two sidewinder into the Russian's tail at half a mile. The missiles hit, and the Mig flips over and plunges into the icy water with a tremendous splash.

One more to go. The surviving Russian is now just a matter of seconds from Tromso or Evenes, should these be his targets. The F-5 pilots are desperately trying to find him. Finally, the lead pilot sees the glow from his engines and turns into the attack, but his remaining two missiles lose lock as the Russian dives into a valley. The trail F-5 closes but the pilot is having his own troubles picking the enemy plane out against the dark ground. Finally, just a few short miles from Tromso, he identifies the bomber and looses two Sidewinders that fly true and blow the Mig into a valley wall. That was far too close for comfort. The air controllers immediately order the last remaining flight of Norwegian AMRAAM armed-F-16s into the air on CAP.

It is now about 6pm. The war is five hours old. My losses have been heavy, but with the reinforcements from the UK and the Netherlands I am actually stronger than I was when the war started in the air. So far I've lost:

21 x F-16As
2 x F-16AMs capable of carrying AMRAAMs
8 x F-5s
31 (32 if you count the Lynx helicopter lost when the Coast guard cutter Nordkap was lost) precious aircraft in total (more than half my pre-war strength), though I've been reinforced by 36 capable fighters, including 24 F-15Cs.

Against this butcher's bill the J2 tells me he believes we've destroyed:

1 x Tu-16 recon bomber
2 x An-12 EW aircraft
2 x Su-24 EW aircraft
49 x An-12 transports likely carrying a brigade of Soviet paratroopers
15 x Mi-24 Hinds, mostly destroyed by ground fire over Kirkenes and Banak
8 x Mi-8 transports likely carrying another company of paratroopers or Spetznaz

For fighter-bombers we tally:
18 x Mig-27s
10 x Su-17s
6 x Su-17s configured for recon missions
25 x Su-24s
6 x Su-25s

In fighters we claim:

10 x Mig-23s
24 x Mig-29s
38 x Su-27s (Along with the two now patrolling over Banak, we believe this accounts for the entirety of the Su-27 regiment assigned to this front)

214 total enemy aircraft downed on this front in the first five hours of the war, or over half their pre-war front-line strength on this front if initial estimates were counting their transports and helicopters. While our losses have been bitter, I am pleased with the exchange ratio. Moreover, the destruction of nearly fifty transports along with an airborne brigade will hopefully hamper further Soviet advances into Norway.

At sea and on the ground the situation is not nearly as good. I've lost eight of nine of my missile boats (the one that torpedoed the Tarantul was so badly damaged it had to be beached and abandoned in the cove). These combined to sink one Tarantul, six Osa IIs, and one Zubr-class hover-craft. To this tally the Utstein added four Nanutchka IIIs and the Koben sunk one Kilo-class submarine. My naval forced failed completely in preventing the Soviets from seizing every important port town between the Russian border and Banak, at the very least opening up a corridor for their long-range aviation to sally into the Atlantic. In addition, the destination of the Soviet Northern Fleet is still unknown. The four carriers in that group could carry as many as 120 more first-line fighters, this in addition to what the Russians still have to throw at me in the Kola Peninsula, and they may be receiving reinforcements as well.

On the ground, the one other troubling development is that motorized elements of the force that landed at Batsford are reported heading south on the roads towards Banak, though they don't appear to have the strength to challenge my battalion there.

Overall, after the last Soviet aerial raid the front seems to have settled into a lull, hopefully one that will last the long night. The staff sets to work planning how to employ our forces overnight and during the next day, and asking NATO for updates on how the war is going on other fronts.

OJsDad

AR, I see what you mean with the heavy casualties that you took.  But I think they may still have been worth it. 

One thing also to consider, in real life, any of your pilots that were able to eject would almost be assured to have landed in friendly lines, unlike the Soviet pilots that are flying over your homelands.  That would also be a big bonus.  Get say, half of you pilots back that can continue the fight, and gaining a little more experience.  While the Soviets are losing both the pilots and any experience gained. 

Airborne Rifles

As the sky darkens and empties of aircraft, reports start to come in to my headquarters about the goings on in the rest of the world.

First, an abbreviated SITREP comes in from NATO that Keflavik on Iceland has suffered a massive cruise missile strike that has shut down the air base there. This report, in conjunction with the earlier sighting of the Red Banner Northern Fleet breaking out through the Barents sea, points to an possible invasion of Iceland, but Central Norway is also a possible target given how the Soviets are seizing the transportation nodes along the Arctic coast. 

Next, J2 receives a much more comprehensive report of the global situation (I won't relate all details here, if you want them go play the scenario yourself  ;)). The highlights are: the air battle of central Europe is "epic," Soviet and Soviet client states all over the world are cooperating against NATO and NATO allies including in the Persian Gulf and Red Sea, the Pacific, and the Caribbean. In the build-up to the present crisis over the past months the US has either delayed or accelerated overhauls on its carriers so that nearly all 15 active fleet carriers are more or less ready for operations. Unfortunately, and most importantly to us, the timing of the commencement of hostilities has caught the US Atlantic Fleet badly out of position, with the USS Enterprise working up in the Caribbean the only flattop readily available to deploy immediately to the North Atlantic. This number will increase to four carriers within two weeks, but for now the line is very thin, and North Norway can't expect any immediate help from the US Navy. 

The next message from Akershus fortress is a bombshell. While only scattered enemy activity has been reported within the civil infrastructure up to this point, in just the past few minutes several large explosions have rocked Oslo. Apparently those missing Russian Olympic athletes have reappeared. Most importantly, and shockingly, a large truck bomb was detonated in front of the parliament building while the king was addressing the assembly. There are few survivors and the King and Prime Minister are assumed to be among the casualties. The seat of government is now at Akershus fortress, with the Foreign Minister confirmed by the Supreme Court as its interim head. This...is...serious. We Norwegians LOVE our monarch, an affection built on the dignified defiance his father showed against the Nazis in the last war. If the Russians were hoping to sap our will to fight with these actions they have achieved the opposite.

My pilots on CAP fly into a rage upon being radioed the news. They demand clearance to engage the Soviet CAP over Banak. But, six Mig-29s have joined the two Su-27s on station (four more F-16s have also taken flight from Tromso and Bodo to keep an eye on them) and an attack right now would not be advisable. And then, the short-legged Fulcrums turn and head for home, apparently short on gas. This provides us the first opportunity to avenge our king. My two-ship CAP is composed of the last two AMRAAM-equipped Norwegian F-16s available. They turn northwest and flip on their radars, acquiring the two circling Su-27s, and loosing two AIM-120s at each. The missiles fly try and blot the two Russians from the sky before they can get into range to return fire. What a difference a long missile makes! The two fighters streak over Banak, bent on hunting more Russians. The withdrawing Mig-29s are beyond our reach, but two EW Su-24s are nearby, northeast and southeast of Banak. One falls to an AMRAAM, the other to a Sidewinder as my enraged pilots sweep the sky. For the moment, Norwegian aircraft are once again the only planes aloft over north Norway.

At the same time, the Utstein, unaware of the travesty on Oslo, is initiating its ambush of the three surviving Tarantuls, which are exiting along the western wall of the fjord. Low on torpedoes, the captain launches three fish, one at each enemy vessel. Two massive explosions reverberate across the fjord as the first fish find their mark. The third Tarantul detects the incoming torpedo with its active sonar as the Russian clears the fjord mouth. It turns west to place the fish on his tail and run. This tactic works, as the Utstein's torpedo loses lock as it comes to the end of its guidance wires. The Utstein lets the Russian go, moving instead northeast to enter Mehamn harbor and attempt to destroy the last Zubr. The Tarantul I will deal with later using my surviving missile boat and the two-frigate SAG coming up from central Norway.

More enemy fighters are belatedly taking wing to try to reestablish their tentative control of the sky over Finnmark and Banak. Eight Mig-23s are coming west in loose formations, some heading for my AEW aircraft and others for my CAP now over Banak. These two have three AMRAAMS left between them, and they launch these at the incoming Russians. The performance of the missiles is disappointing this time, with only one Russian downed. The CAP turns northwest and flees on afterburners. We've learned to run the Russians out of gas before engaging them, and that's how it plays out. The Migs slow and turn back before reaching the North Sea coast, and my pilots turn and pursues, downing three more Migs, but more are taking off to take their place. As long as the Russians don't launch any more strikes or airborne operations to force me to engage them on their terms, this looks like a good way to whittle down the Russian numbers. I have six F-16s airborne to play in this deadly game of tag, though the northernmost pair is out of missiles. Then, the first flight of US F-15s completes refueling at Bodo. The twin-engine fighters taxi, and rotate off the runway into the arctic night...

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: OJsDad on April 22, 2015, 05:55:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! More is definitely coming, but the fact that the writing has. Ow caught up with the gameplay and that I'm traveling this week means it's going to come more slowly.

OJsDad

I'm traveling this week also, which is why I need more!

Airborne Rifles

I'll try to de-conflict my schedule better next time  ;)

Airborne Rifles

At this point the aerial battle has settled into a pattern in which the Russians send relatively strong sweeps of fighters over northern Norway, the weaker Norwegian CAPs turn tail and run from them until the Russians run low on fuel near the North Sea coast and turn for home, allowing the NATO pilots to turn and pursue in turn to try to pick off a straggler here and there. This pattern holds for about an hour as the first two flights of F-15Cs head north from Bodo, with three MiG-23s downed for no friendly losses. Things are about to change, though.

A group of six Soviet MiG-29s are just leaving their CAP station over Banak to be replaced by another flight of four MiG-23s coming across northern Finland when the first Eagles come on station. The controllers on the AWACs decide to set up an ambush. A flight of Norwegian F-16s makes a dash eastwards, drawing the attention of the approaching Migs, who go to afterburner in pursuit of the Falcons who turn and run...straight towards the oncoming Eagles. This engagement is taking place beyond Soviet airborne and ground-based radar coverage, and my own EW aircraft are jamming the Russian fighters' radars, so the enemy pilots are unaware of their predicament until the F-15 pilots flip on their radars and the Russians' warning receivers alert them of the swarm of AMRAAMs coming to meet them. Three of the Floggers explode in quick succession, strobes on the blanket of clouds below the starry arctic night, but the fourth pilot somehow manages to evade the two Slammers targeted at him and break for home. His flight is for naught, however, as the Eagles bore in and drop him with another salvo of two missiles.  And once again my fighters are in sole control of the sky over Finnmark and northern Norway, at least beyond the Russian SAMs, and with a second flight of Eagles just coming on station I think we may be able to maintain it.

While this is going on, a smaller drama unfolds in the icy waters beneath the cliffs of the North Cape. My sole surviving missile boat has been steaming at flank speed north from central Norway, but with the loss of all the other missile boats the captain decides to take a more inland course, dodging between islands and the mainland. At the same time, the surviving Russian Tarantul from the Utstein's ambush is rounding the Cape, tracked by the coastal radar array there that has so far been protected from attack and destruction. Thus my missile boat's crew is made aware of the proximity and course of the lone enemy vessel. As the Tarantul clears the Cape, the Norwegian  Hauk-class boat, informed through reports sent by the Cape radar, motors out from behind a rocky island, acquires the Russian ship with its optics, and launches a spread of four infrared-guided Penguin Mk. 1 missiles. The Russians never even have a chance, or even see the missiles coming. The four weapons impact the small ship and wreck it above the waterline. What survivors there are from the rapidly sinking vessel  won't last long in the icy arctic waters as night. The Hauk motors on around the Cape, searching more a target for its two remaining torpedoes.

My newfound air-superiority thanks to the intervention of the F-15s allows a me to go on the offensive somewhat. Since hostilities began two Russian Mig-25 reconnaissance fighters have been loitering over northern Finland at 60k ft, no doubt recording every electronic emission my forces have made. The AWACS controllers send the first pair of Eagle-drivers after these two, and a pair of F-16s out over the ocean to try an hunt a lone Su-24 jammer out there that is playing havoc with my sensors. The F-15s manage to splash both Foxbats, but the F-16s come up dry on the Fencer and have to turn back, low on fuel.

Just then another surge of activity begins to pick up over the Soviet airfields. The AWACS picks up multiple bogeys forming up over the Kola and heading west. Is this another airborne drop? As my radar begins to burn through the jamming we can deduce by the formation, altitude, and speed of the bogeys that this is a large ground attack strike, fourteen enemy aircraft. Squadron strength. They fly in a column out of Russia, over northern Finland, on a course for Banak. The Russians are obviously feeling the losses of the previous hours, because only now do a quartet of Mig-23s take off from their Kola bases, ostensibly to escort the fighter-bombers. They are uncoordinated, nowhere near enough to protect their charges.

The AWACS directs two F-15s and four F-16s, two Norwegian and two Dutch, around to the southern flank of the approaching enemy fighter-bomber column. In doing so my aircraft fly relatively deep into the detection range of Soviet radars, and forewarned the fourteen Su-25s start to turn back, but it is too late. My fighters scream in from the south behind a wall of AMRAAMs and Sidewinders and finally cannon fire. It is a slaughter. In the end, only two Sukois escape back towards the Russian border, hugging the contours of the ground for dear life. The oncoming Mig-23s also decide to heed the better part of valor and remain behind the protection of their SAMs.

Now with no Russian threats materializing to my own airspace, I have hatched a plan to go after the Soviet A-50 Mainstay AWACs that have been holding station over the arctic ocean north of the Kola. Knocking out these priceless assets will seriously degrade the Russians' ability to further threaten Norwegian airspace or defend their own airspace from the inevitable counterstroke from the US Navy, whenever it comes, assuming the world isn't consumed in a nuclear holocaust before then. As midnight nears in the polar winter, two pairs of F-15s turn north and descend to the rocky coast east of the Cape.

OJsDad

Great update Airborne.  I'm traveling again this week and this was the perk that I needed.