Ardennes atrocities

Started by besilarius, May 18, 2015, 06:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/11605822/Anthony-Beevor-There-are-things-that-are-too-horrific.html

It will be interesting to see if a discourse opens on this.  The allies are always depicted as so righteous, but nothing brutalises like deadly combat.
The only similar thing for the western allies I can think of is the accepted story of the Canadian - Hitler Jugend tit for tat massacres in Normandy.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Airborne Rifles

Rick Atkinson addresses some of this in the third book of his liberation trilogy, The Guns at Last Light. He talks about the atrocities in Normany, the Ardennes, and also the summary execution of concentration camp guards by U.S. troops fight before the end of the war.

mirth

I respect Beevor's work (he's tackled some very tough subject matter and done an excellent job), but I disagree that atrocities committed by US and British soldiers is still a taboo subject. It's definitely been written about and acknowledged in the last 15 or so years. If it's depicted in Band of Brother's or Saving Private Ryan, it's not really a taboo subject anymore, it's pretty well mainstream.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Somewhat related.

I picked up Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of WWII on a Kindle sale a few months back.  Quite an interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Continent-Europe-Aftermath-World-ebook/dp/B006ZL9C8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1431989589&sr=1-1&keywords=savage+continent

mirth

Cool that you've read it. I didn't know Beevor had a new book out so I'm glad this thread was started. I'll pick up a physical copy as soon as I can. He is an excellent author. I think he wrote a book about the invasion of Crete that was done before Stalingrad made him famous. I'd really like to pick up a copy of that one.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

I just picked up Beevor's Battle for Berlin.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Great book. Brutal though.

Gusington

I took your advice and am doing some cheery reading on the Pacific War to cleanse my palette after finishing Ian Kershaw's The End yesterday...before starting Battle for Berlin.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Yeah, those books back-to-back will not make you feel great about humanity.

On the other hand reading much about the PTO probably won't either. At least it's a slightly different flavor of evil.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on May 18, 2015, 05:59:12 PM
Cool that you've read it. I didn't know Beevor had a new book out so I'm glad this thread was started. I'll pick up a physical copy as soon as I can. He is an excellent author. I think he wrote a book about the invasion of Crete that was done before Stalingrad made him famous. I'd really like to pick up a copy of that one.

Crete...as a paratrooper just the mention of that battle makes me shudder.

mirth

Yeah. That's one of the really amazing nightmares of the war. A testament to training and willpower overcoming the odds.

A 'He who dares, wins' moment if there ever was one.

Gusington

Reading about WWII at 40 is very different than listening to my Grandparents when I was 8 or so. WWII may have been the most serious bout of collective insanity the world has ever seen. It's amazing there is still a world to inhabit. God bless the WWII generation. They make us look like total morons  :idiot2:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

People certainly seemed to be much more stoically accepting about life sucking, but finding a way to get by anyway.

Most days I think we've become the 'Pampered Generation'.

Gusington

Life sucking in the northeast US in 2015 is very different than life sucking in Germany in May 1945 or China in 1932 or North Africa in 1942.

Can you imagine the debate on social media today if we were faced with having to use nukes again? We'd never even finish the debate, never mind take action.

9/11 was the closest event that we've had to bring us together in modern times, and any positive legacy from it is already fading.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 18, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
Life sucking in the northeast US in 2015 is very different than life sucking in Germany in May 1945 or China in 1932 or North Africa in 1942.

Or Russia pretty much ever.