Amazon Kindle 'Daily Deal' thread and related ibook deals

Started by Staggerwing, February 05, 2012, 02:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

For those of you who own Kindles, have iPhones, Android phones, or tablets with a Kindle app, or who
don't mind reading ebooks on your 'puters be aware that Amazon has a 'daily special' that can be had
at 80-90% off the original price. Many of the books I don't care about but every once in a while they
have a great read, often historical. When I see a book that I like I'll try to post it here. If someone else
sees one that they like or finds somewhere else such as iBooks or even public domain please feel free
to link that here as well. If you know and like the Kindle daily deal already but I don't post it please feel
free to keep this thread alive. It needs all our help.

I'm not a huge sports nut but I want to get the ball( so to speak) rolling so today, 2/5/12, the Kindle deal is as such:

Kindle Daily Deal: Sports Illustrated's Blood, Sweat and Chalk: The Ultimate Football Playbook

You can find the daily deal here on the Kindle page in the corner (usually) and you can subscribe to it.
I missed it but a couple days ago they had a book about the Confederate siege of Washington. You just never know...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

101 Things to do with Bacon

OK, Not A Wargame but I imagine many of you will forgive...if you read this in time.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Staggerwing

99 cent alert! Today only!! (5/20/2012)

Here's a novel (part of a new trilogy) about Europe during the Mongol invasion:

Mongoliad:

QuoteProduct Description
The first novel to be released in The Foreworld Saga, The Mongoliad: Book One, is an epic-within-an-epic, taking place in 13th century. In it, a small band of warriors and mystics raise their swords to save Europe from a bloodthirsty Mongol invasion. Inspired by their leader (an elder of an order of warrior monks), they embark on a perilous journey and uncover the history of hidden knowledge and conflict among powerful secret societies that had been shaping world events for millennia.

But the saga reaches the modern world via a circuitous route. In the late 19th century, Sir Richard F. Burton, an expert on exotic languages and historical swordsmanship, is approached by a mysterious group of English martial arts aficionados about translating a collection of long-lost manuscripts. Burton dies before his work is finished, and his efforts were thought lost until recently rediscovered by a team of amateur archaeologists in the ruins of a mansion in Trieste, Italy. From this collection of arcana, the incredible tale of The Mongoliad was recreated.

Full of high adventure, unforgettable characters, and unflinching battle scenes, The Mongoliad ignites a dangerous quest where willpower and blades are tested and the scope of world-building is redefined.

A note on this edition: The Mongoliad began as a social media experiment, combining serial story-telling with a unique level of interaction between authors and audience during the creative process. Since its original iteration, The Mongoliad has been restructured, edited, and rewritten under the supervision of its authors to create a more cohesive reading experience and will be published as a trilogy of novels. This edition is the definitive edition and is the authors' preferred text.

This one looks interesting as it was written by five different authors (inc. Greg Bear and Neal Stephenson) and some of them are Medieval Western Martial arts practitioners so the fighting scenes should be good. Has anyone already started this book either on paper or in e-format?

Staggerwing

The Princess Bride is today's Daily Deal for Kindle at Amazon. It would be inconceivable to pass this up!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IEJZRY/ref=amb_link_364192902_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1EX63BY0GWV6A5PKBF4Y&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1384269342&pf_rd_i=1000677541

QuoteBook Description
Publication Date: October 8, 2007
William Goldman's modern fantasy classic is a simple, exceptional story about quests—for riches, revenge, power, and, of course, true love—that's thrilling and timeless.

Anyone who lived through the 1980s may find it impossible—inconceivable, even—to equate The Princess Bride with anything other than the sweet, celluloid romance of Westley and Buttercup, but the film is only a fraction of the ingenious storytelling you'll find in these pages. Rich in character and satire, the novel is set in 1941 and framed cleverly as an "abridged" retelling of a centuries-old tale set in the fabled country of Florin that's home to "Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passions."

QuoteAmazon.com Review
The Princess Bride is a true fantasy classic. William Goldman describes it as a "good parts version" of "S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure." Morgenstern's original was filled with details of Florinese history, court etiquette, and Mrs. Morgenstern's mostly complimentary views of the text. Much admired by academics, the "Classic Tale" nonetheless obscured what Mr. Goldman feels is a story that has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."
Goldman frames the fairy tale with an "autobiographical" story: his father, who came from Florin, abridged the book as he read it to his son. Now, Goldman is publishing an abridged version, interspersed with comments on the parts he cut out.

Is The Princess Bride a critique of classics like Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers, that smother a ripping yarn under elaborate prose? A wry look at the differences between fairy tales and real life? Simply a funny, frenetic adventure? No matter how you read it, you'll put it on your "keeper" shelf. --Nona Vero

Review
PRAISE FOR THE PRINCESS BRIDE

"[Goldman's] swashbuckling fable is nutball funny . . . A 'classic' medieval melodrama that sounds like all the Saturday serials you ever saw feverishly reworked by the Marx Brothers." --Newsweek

"One of the funniest, most original, and deeply moving novels I have read in a long time." --Los Angeles Times

Gusington

Thanks for posting these 'Wing. Breathes life into this section.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

NP, Gus.   :)

Today's ebook daily deal:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut for $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/Cats-Cradle-Vonnegut-Series-ebook/dp/B003XRELGQ/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1343647503&sr=8-1-spell

I tried to link this one through the Grogheads link so I hope we get some Amazon love here.

Staggerwing

Sorry to be posting this so late.
Today's deal is Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjager on the Eastern Front, 1941-43 [Kindle Edition]
Hans Roth (Author), Christine, editor Alexander (Author), Mason, editor Kunze (Author)
$1.99

LB Edit: This link will give us credit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DI7R2E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=grogheads-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004DI7R2E

QuoteThis book presents the remarkable personal journals of a German soldier who participated in Operation Barbarossa and subsequent battles on the Eastern Front, revealing the combat experience of the German-Russian War as seldom seen before.

Hans Roth was a member of the anti-tank (Panzerjager) battalion, 299th Infantry Division, attached to Sixth Army, as the invasion of Russia began. Writing as events transpired, he recorded the mystery and tension as the Germans deployed on the Soviet frontier in June 1941. Then a firestorm broke loose as the Wehrmacht tore across the front, forging into the primitive vastness of the East.

During the Kiev encirclement, Roth's unit was under constant attack as the Soviets desperately tried to break through the German ring. At one point, after the enemy had finally been beaten, a friend serving with the SS led him to a site where he witnessed civilians being massacred en masse (which may well have been Babi Yar). After suffering through a horrible winter against apparently endless Russian reserves, his division went on the offensive again, this time on the northern wing of "Case Gelb," the German drive toward Stalingrad.

In these journals, attacks and counterattacks are described in "you are there" detail, as Roth wrote privately, as if to keep himself sane, knowing that his honest accounts of the horrors in the East could never pass through Wehrmacht censors. When the Soviet counteroffensive of winter 1942 begins, his unit is stationed alongside the Italian 8th Army, and his observations of its collapse, as opposed to the reaction of the German troops sent to stiffen its front, are of special fascination.

Roth's three journals were discovered many years after his disappearance, tucked away in the home of his brother, with whom he was known to have had a deep bond. After his brother's death, his family discovered them and quickly sent them to Rosel, Roth's wife. In time, Rosel handed down the journals to Erika, Roth's only daughter, who had meantime immigrated to America.

Hans Roth was doubtlessly working on a fourth journal before he was reported missing in action in July 1944 during the battle known as the Destruction of Army Group Center. Although Roth's ultimate fate remains unknown, what he did leave behind, now finally revealed, is an incredible firsthand account of the horrific war the Germans waged in Russia.

Staggerwing

LB can you tell if any of these links are properly crediting Grogheads? I just purchased through the link I posted above, gotten by navigating there using your original Amazon link.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 06, 2012, 06:06:12 PM
LB can you tell if any of these links are properly crediting Grogheads? I just purchased through the link I posted above, gotten by navigating there using your original Amazon link.

The one you had did not. The one I inserted via edit (shut up, Gus!) now does.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

That's odd. I actually used your link in the sticky and navigated to the Amazon page from there, then copied and pasted the link. Perhaps everyone needs to use the main link and get there themselves. If you post a Grogheads link to here:
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store-ebooks-newspapers-blogs/b/ref=topnav_storetab_kstore?ie=UTF8&node=133141011
then the daily deal link will always appear in the mid-upper right side.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 07, 2012, 05:21:27 AM
That's odd. I actually used your link in the sticky and navigated to the Amazon page from there, then copied and pasted the link. Perhaps everyone needs to use the main link and get there themselves. If you post a Grogheads link to here:
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store-ebooks-newspapers-blogs/b/ref=topnav_storetab_kstore?ie=UTF8&node=133141011
then the daily deal link will always appear in the mid-upper right side.

Well, I suspect that Amazon is placing a cookie on your machine that lets it know that *you* came through our Amazon link. However, because you don't have access to our link code, the link you share isn't viral and won't spread credit for us to other people.

Staggerwing

Today's Daily Deal?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z57E18/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005Z57E18&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer

QuoteBook Description
Publication Date: October 23, 2011
When the Third Reich fell, it fell swiftly. The Nazis had little time to cover up their memos, their letters, or their diaries. William L. Shirer's definitive book on the Third Reich uses these unique sources. Combined with his personal experience with the Nazis, living through the war as an international correspondent, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich not only earned Shirer a National Book Award but is recognized as one of the most important and authoritative books about the Third Reich and Nazi Germany ever written. The diaries of propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels as well as evidence and other testimony gained at the Nuremberg Trials could not have found more artful hands.

Shirer gives a clear, detailed and well-documented account of how it was that Adolf Hitler almost succeeded in conquering the world. With millions of copies in print, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich has become one of the most authoritative books on one of mankind's darkest hours. Shirer focuses on 1933 to 1945 in clear detail. Here is a worldwide bestseller that also tells the true story of the Holocaust, often in the words of the men who helped plan and conduct it. It is a classic by any measure.

The book has been translated into twelve languages and was adapted as a television miniseries, broadcast by ABC in 1968. This first ever e-book edition is published on the 50th anniversary of this iconic work.

(Please note: Some reader reviews complain of typos and dead footnote links in this Kindle adaption. It's always possible that these will get fixed later and you can re-download.)

LB, please edit link for Grog Love  ;)

LongBlade

Done! That's a lot of love for $2. Heard a lot about the book but never read it. Now's my chance.

Toonces

Oh man, that is a no-brainer for 2 clams.  I already have the print version, too. 

Thank you so much for posting that!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Glad to be of service  ;)

To the rest of you- if you see a good deal or run across a freebie somewhere post it here. Even if it's not from Amazon there are tools to convert it so we can read it on our kindles and there are plenty of other e-reader apps for iOS and the li'l green 'bot so that yooze wi' dem shmaht fonez and tablablets can get their read on...