Amazon Kindle 'Daily Deal' thread and related ibook deals

Started by Staggerwing, February 05, 2012, 02:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Today, Monday 9/17 daily deal:

Secrets of the Cold War: US Army Europe's Intelligence & Counterintelligence Activities Against the Soviets During the Cold War $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AU7G20/ref=amb_link_365358042_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1W3G98TXRG4Z48HDPY8A&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1398648522&pf_rd_i=1000677541

QuoteSecrets of the Cold War focuses on a dark period of a silent war and offers a new perspective on the struggle between the superpowers of the world told in the words of those who were there. The author, formerly an expert in counterintelligence in US Army Europe, weaves together exciting true accounts of allies collecting enemy information in the East and fighting spies and terrorists in the West.

Amassing Soviet military information by Allied agents in the East is at the forefront! Learn the bizarre method a British agent uses to obtain the muzzle size of a Russian tank as he risks his life jumping on a moving train in East Germany. A French officer drives into a Soviet tank column and escapes undiscovered by cunning methods. In West Germany, terrorist attacks and spies are rampant. Communists shoot a rocket propelled grenade into a General's occupied limo and terrorists kidnap another General. From the espionage files, an American soldier is nearly recruited in a downtown bar to be a spy and a First Sergeant is lured by sex to be an unknowing participant in spying.

Behind-the-lines images are historic and intriguing. See photographs of a French officer and a Soviet officer relaxing in the East German woods in a temporary unofficial peace; 'James Bond' type cars with their light tricks and their ability to leave their Stasi shadows 'wheel spinning' in the snow will amaze readers.

A Russian translator for the presidential hotline recounts a story about having to lock his doors in the Pentagon, separating himself and his sergeant from the Pentagon Generals when a message comes in from the Soviets. When he called the White House to relay the message to the President and stood by for a possible reply to the Soviet Chairman, he stopped working for the Generals and started working solely for the President.

In another riveting account, a US Berlin tank unit goes on red alert when the Soviets stop a US convoy on the autobahn between West Germany and Berlin. The Berlin Command orders the tanks to rescue them, "If anything gets in your way, either run over it or blow it away!" Young US Berlin train commanders recount their encounters with their Soviet counterparts aboard the Berlin Duty Train. In an unusual train incident, one male Soviet Officer places a love note in a young US female Train Commander's pocket, touching her leg. The note is in the book.

Containing a host of first-person accounts that lift the lid on previously untold clandestine activities, this is a major contribution to Cold War history, and exciting reading for all those who have an interest in the real-life world of military intelligence, counterintelligence and espionage.

Francis Gary Powers, Jr: "Well written and informative, the book is a magnificent assessment of the Cold War history."

Sorry to post this one so late. I just noticed it myself- too busy to read my email I guess.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Feel free to grog-edit any link I post to Amazon. I'd do it m'self but I don't know how to make it 'stick'.

Do you have a way of checking how many Amazon click-throughs you get this way per week?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 17, 2012, 07:39:49 PM
Do you have a way of checking how many Amazon click-throughs you get this way per week?

I'll have to check.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I ordered through your thingie but I don't know if it registered or not.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 17, 2012, 11:01:57 PM
I ordered through your thingie but I don't know if it registered or not.

It probably did. Amazon is surprisingly generous with stuff like that.

Staggerwing

Today, Sept 20's Daily Deal?

Omaha Beach: D-Day, June 6, 1944 [Kindle Edition]
Joseph Balkoski $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GIPLBI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001GIPLBI&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

Quote"Balkoski's depiction of 'Bloody Omaha' is the literary accompaniment to the white-knuckle Omaha Beach scene that opens Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan." -- John Hillen, New York Post
In this unforgettable narrative of D-Day, Joseph Balkoski describes the minute-by-minute combat as it unfolded on Omaha Beach, allowing soldiers to speak for themselves as they recall their attempts to maneuver bombers through heavy cloud cover, the claustrophobic terror aboard transports, and the relentless fire that greeted them on the beach. Equal parts oral history and meticulous reconstruction, Omaha Beach is the closest the modern reader can get to experiencing the Normandy landings firsthand.

Lots of Kudos in the reader comments.

LongBlade

Thanks, Stagger. Updated the link for the GH referral.

I've got to quit looking at these. I think I'm going broke two dollars at a time.

Staggerwing

Today's Deal- 14 of Philip K. Dick's classic Scifi novels for $1.99 each!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_170810_26180670_pe_button/?docId=1000677541

For those of you who don't know who PKD (as he is often referred to among fans) is- He wrote terrific, slightly quirky, novels of which a surprising number were made into movies, usually under different titles and with one true standout classic. This was Blade Runner, originally titled 'Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?'. Rumor has it that there is a current attempt to turn VALIS into a workable screenplay- good luck with that! Other books turned into movies (from http://www.philipkdick.com/films_intro.html):

QuoteOnce Ridley Scott turned "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?" into the science fiction classic "Blade Runner," eight of Philip K. Dick's novels or short stories have made their way to the big screen. To date, these films have generated over $1 billion in world-wide box office and ancillary revenue. This astounding success is the result of combining visionary stories with talent from the world's finest film directors, studios and stars. Steven Spielberg, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise, John Woo, Ben Affleck, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jr., Keanu Reeves, and Matt Damon are only a few of the illustrious names associated with these projects.

(So help me I just bought all 14. I should really see a doctor one of these days...  8))

Completed Films

Blade Runner  (1982)
Based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Screamers  (1995)
Based on "Second Variety"

Total Recall  (1990)
Based on "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"

Confessions d'un Barjo  (French, 1992)
Based on "Confessions of a Crap Artist"

Impostor  (2001)
Based on "Impostor."

Minority Report  (2002)
Based on "The Minority Report."

Paycheck  (December 25, 2003)
Based on "Paycheck."

A Scanner Darkly  (July 7, 2006)
Based on "A Scanner Darkly"

Next (April 27, 2007)
Based on "The Golden Man"

Films in Production

The Adjustment Bureau  (coming 2010)
Based on "The Adjustment Team"

King of the Elves  (coming 2012)
Based on "King of the Elves"

Adjustment Bureau has already been released BTW. Another book that's part of the sale and often discussed for a movie option is "Man in the High Castle" which is an Alt history story that describes the world of the 60's as it would be had the Axis won. In an occupied United States a book is secretly being circulated which describes a different world, one in which the Allies were actually the victors...

Staggerwing

I'm going to have to apologize in advance to LB's wallet for this...

Kindle deals for Vet's Day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=3O9WMX4MBDRMU&C=15FJSDE162FFI&H=SARWIYTCXDZO3PHTZQEQ2NJMJPMA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Ffeature.html%2Fref%3Dpe_170810_26768890_pe_button%2F%3FdocId%3D1000677541

There's some good stuff in there- The Long Ships, Red Eagles: America's Secret Migs, No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II, Tonight We Die As Men PB: The Untold Story of Third Batallion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-D

If the link doesn't work go to Amazon through the Grogheads link in the first thread here, choose the Kindle Store option up top in 'Shop by Dept' and then look on the right side where the Daily Deals are posted.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Why is one of the Remembrance Day deals a Runescape book?

Staggerwing

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought the one about the Poles in WWII.  Looks interesting.   

Staggerwing

April 28, 2013

Here's a freebie for Kindle thanks to Tuna's sharp eyes and his post in another thread:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=5719.msg138305#msg138305

Quote from: Tuna on April 28, 2013, 08:11:02 AM
FYI cruising the WITE forum on Matrix, I saw this post for a free kindle book on Amazon

Decision in the Ukraine: German Panzer Operations on the Eastern Front, Summer 1943 (Stackpole Military History Series)

- not sure how long this one will last!

Silent Disapproval Robot