My first attempting at painting, Grenadier Squad

Started by agrippamaxentius, August 23, 2015, 05:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrippamaxentius

Man those faces are hard to do! How's this for a first attempt? By the way just want to make sure I am setting up the grenadier squads correctly this is 3 riflemen and 1 N, not sure what the N stands for.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

Staggerwing

Maybe "N" = NCO?

For me the pic is really fuzzy so it's hard to see the faces at all. What are You use using for pix? Does it have a 'macro' setting? If it's a camera phone you can get small lenses to put over the phone's lens for close up shots.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Yeah, the faces are difficult.  I tend to just do a minimal amount of facial detail on small minis, otherwise their eyes look too big or weird.

GDS_Starfury

with small figures work the shadowing not the details.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2015, 06:24:46 PM

Yeah, I've just been using wash on the small ones after the skin colors are done, to shade in eye sockets & mouth a bit.

agrippamaxentius

Thanks GDS, when you say shadowing is that like inking afterwards?
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

LongBlade

Star is right - those guys are way too small to waste time trying to fill in the details.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 23, 2015, 08:37:47 PM

yes.  in modeling terms its considered washing or a wash.  use very thinned out paint, ink or whatever and go in very slight increments.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2015, 10:57:47 PM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 23, 2015, 08:37:47 PM

yes.  in modeling terms its considered washing or a wash.  use very thinned out paint, ink or whatever and go in very slight increments.
Thanks! This actually makes things alot easier.