Honorverse fans?

Started by bayonetbrant, October 28, 2015, 05:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Just out of curiosity, how many Honorverse fans do we have running around here?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Since some of you have said great things about the series, and I never read any of it, I recently picked up On Basilisk Station, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

bayonetbrant

I might get a chance to interview a few of the people associated with it this weekend.  Honorcon is here in town
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 28, 2015, 06:57:10 AM
Since some of you have said great things about the series, and I never read any of it, I recently picked up On Basilisk Station, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

IMO the early books are the best. As the series goes on the good guys just become too good and the bad guys just become too bad. Even so, I'd highly recommend the whole series and universe.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 28, 2015, 07:05:36 AM
I might get a chance to interview a few of the people associated with it this weekend.  Honorcon is here in town

Cool! Grogcast material?

bayonetbrant

unknown at this point; situation still developing

OJsDad

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 28, 2015, 08:04:36 AM
IMO the early books are the best. As the series goes on the good guys just become too good and the bad guys just become too bad. Even so, I'd highly recommend the whole series and universe.

Totally agree, though I like the books set in the Talbot Quadrant.

Reading some the later books in the main story arc, I get a vibe that David Weber either is tired of doing this story or doesn't know where to go with it.  I know the Torch story line put a wrench in his plans for the story, so I'm not sure if that is the reason I get these vibes or not.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Same with me. Got the book years ago as a gift and it still sits unread.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Same here. It's on my list to read, just haven't gotten to it yet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I could very well be. I found a free graphic novel that was pretty good. I have not had a chance to read any of the original novels.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Airborne Rifles

On Basilisk Station is great. Lot's of really well thought out character development and interpersonal conflict and team-building. I think A Short Victorious War was my favorite, though.

Pinetree

I've read most of them up until the storyline went in different directions with different characters. I enjoyed the first few books but then it became very cliquey with the good guys and the bad guys became cardboard cutouts.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."