Book title/series help...

Started by BanzaiCat, October 28, 2015, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I've been trying to figure out the title of this book I used to own and figure you guys might help with it.

The only things I can recall clearly about it is that it took place in modern times (granted, I think this book came out 20-25 years ago or so). Some kind of terrorist bomb destroyed most modern technology, so countries were flying World War 2 vintage aircraft. I thought the book opened with the protagonist flying a Me-109 or Fw-190, but maybe that was his nemesis, I can't remember.

I had tried to get into it several times but never did, but I've thought of it a few times lately. I've tried numerous Google searches but nada comes up. Any ideas? I'm sure I might not be remembering right, too.  :-\

JasonPratt

Was it part of a series hook based on raising the Yamato and converting it to being more of an aircraft carrier?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

I have no idea, JP. I think it was a series, but other than that and what I just mentioned, I can't for the life of me think of more details.

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 28, 2015, 01:13:06 PM
Was it part of a series hook based on raising the Yamato and converting it to being more of an aircraft carrier?

What the heck series was that!?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I remember there were some books out in the late 80's or early 90's that some how technology was mostly lost.  The US had found a WWII Japanese carrier stuck in the arctic ice and was able to free her, and her crew, and used it to combat the bad guys.  I cannot find the title though.  Does that sound like what your looking for BC
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

OJsDad, I think that's it!

It's the Seventh Carrier series, by Peter Albano. I found this info online:

Carrier YONAGA series: (84,000 ton Japanese aircraft carrier frozen in
the Arctic ice since 1941. It breaks free in 1983 and becomes the savior
of the free world.)
     The Seventh Carrier, 1983 [1](YONAGA breaks free of the arctic ice, and
         her Samurai crew is determined to complete its 1941 mission:
         destroying Pearl Harbor.)
     The Second Voyage of the Seventh Carrier [2] (The Chinese launch a
         particle beam satellite that knocks out all modern electronics,
         airplanes and ships. The old Japanese carrier YONAGA is the only
         warship that still works and has planes that fly.)
     Return of the Seventh Carrier [3] (The world is still crippled by the
         Chinese particle beam, and Libyan terrorists are out to destroy
         YONAGA, last hope of the free world.)
     The Quest of the Seventh Carrier, 1989 [4] (YONAGA is still the largest
         functioning warship in the world. She leads a ragtag group of WW II
         airplanes and ships against the Libyan Navy and its bigger collection
         of WW II vintage ships.)
     Attack of the Seventh Carrier, 1989 [5] (Old US Navy WW II submarine
         joins YONAGA's fleet as the battle with Libya's navy continues.)
     Ordeal of the Seventh Carrier [6] (YONAGA fights Arab battle group off
         Iwo Jima. It's carrier versus carrier, 1940s style, in the 1980s!)
     Trial of the Seventh Carrier [7] (The Arab navy threatens Japan, and
         YONAGA still carries the banner of the free world.)
     Revenge of the Seventh Carrier, 1992 [8](Libyan Navy strike force armed
         with poison gas threatens the major cities of the free world, but
         YONAGA's Samurai crew is still on the job.)
     Challenge of the Seventh Carrier, 1993 [9] (YONAGA, with help from
         every corner of the earth, including the battleship NEW JERSEY,
         continues the battle with the Libyan madman.)

I think the Second Voyage book is the one I was thinking of. It sounds very familiar.

Thanks!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on October 28, 2015, 05:08:53 PM
The Seventh Carrier?

I got distracted before I finished my post and bbmike ninja's me. ;)

Thanks everyone. I think that's the one.

JasonPratt

That's what I was thinking of, too. Couldn't figure out why it was supposed to be a converted Yamato, but chalked that up to the author having watched too much Star Blazers. ;) Forgot that it was the Yonaga (i.e. the super-carrier counterpart to the Yamato).

I read part of some of the earlier books many, many years ago at my aunt's used bookstore shop. They were... rather pulpy. Great story hook, execution kind of florid.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

I remember reading the Seventh Carrier.... it was not good so I never knew there were more or that it was even a series.....

Staggerwing

I read the second one. It was fun but cheesy:
The crew of the 'Yonago' is a bunch of septuagenarians and octogenarians who are still as fit as twenty and thirty year olds due to having spent their 40 years of being frozen in ice doing mystical eastern exercises and martial arts, just waiting for the ice to melt so they can attack Oahu again, then suddenly become cozy with the democratic Western navies when told the war is over just in time to help save a free world thrust back into the 1940's from Qaddafi's minions who have plundered all the worlds museums for flight-worthy Axis aircraft. It wouldn't be fitting or sportsmanlike if the Libyans decided to fly restored Mustangs, Spitfires, or B-24s, now would it?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

The series was kind of enjoyable, if annoying, at the time. The whole "Libyan madman" angle is of course a product of the mid-80s when this was a thing (even laughable back then considering how one-sided our bombing of Libya was at the time). I still remember the Gaddafi 'nose bounty' t-shirts that some wore in high school.

Anyway, I didn't put the two together. I remember the whole carrier-frozen-in-the-ice-reborn schtick but I didn't connect that with what I was trying to remember, that is, WW2 airplanes coming back thanks to a terrorist event.