CS Middle East: The Crossroads (West Bank, 5 June 1967) -- DAR vs Berto --

Started by Crossroads, December 19, 2015, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

IDF Turn #10 - 9th Bde's Push Towards Jenin

The 9th spreads out and stubbornly advance towards the well defended city, despite the hail of artillery and direct fire meeting them at every hex. My forward troops bravely secure some front line trenches. The advance is ever so painful given they have to attack up the hill, each elevation level taking its toll on Action Points for movement.

Berto is rotating his troops at the front lines with some fresh replacements not visible to me, from Jenin. Hopefully he's taking Disruptions while at it, so those pulled back cannot advance towards me before they've recovered. I need to start using Smoke to cover my movement, as I am getting shot out there.

I hope the Jordanians are feeling the brunt of the battle as well, with my three 105mm batteries in support, and mortar units in close support as well:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

My Disrupted units highlighted. As said, this is proving to be a tough advance on my infantry.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

IDF Turn #10 - 45th Arm'd Bde's Flanking Move

One thing I've noticed the Jordanian tanks are not present at Jenin, so I am guessing most of them are arriving as reinforcements. The few he has available are defending the ridge where the 45th is trying to break through. Here too the movement up the slopes is making my progress slower than I wanted to.

My forward tanks are about to break into the higher ground in front them, finally. From there I should have great visibility at the valley in front of them, and towards Jenin. Hopefully plenty of soft targets as well, for my indirect fire and Airstrikes.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

My two Engineer teams are finally working on the Strength 3 minefields. In the beginning of next turn the minefields are down to Strength 1, and on turn 12 I can finally drive south with vengeance. It was a serious oversight not to have them in the vanguard to begin with, but I am trying to recover the best I can.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

End of IDF Turn #10

So here's, then, the overall map.

Berto is a sneaky player, so I've spread some recon units on my right flank to spot any fast moving units he's propably in the process of sending towards my rear echelon units. Then again, my flanking move in force is showing here as well. I saw Berto pulling some recon assets of his own to keep an eye on my units, so it will be unlikely I can totally disappear from his sight even should I finally break free from his first line of defence there.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
The Victory Dialog shows my side in the negative, with the tally ever so slowly sliding even further south. I set my target as a Draw for now. Getting even there will be a tall order, given I've allowed my Arm'd Bde to be bogged down in front of the Minefields for quite a few turns. Some of the momentum is surely lost, but I am still positive once I break out from there, there would be soft targets to claw back the point deficit with my armored forces.

As seen here, I've destroyed more Strength Points than the enemy, but am still at quite some disadvantage here:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The Strength Dialog shows the story behind the point tally quite well. I've almost knocked out double the amount of infantry for instance, but the Israeli infantry costing twice what the Jordanians, I better keep at it.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

This turn I lost three M51s against just one Patton knocked out. With many of my tanks left on his LOS, there's amble opportunity for him to use some shoot-and-scoot tactics. Yet, maybe if he moves to some of the hexes I've got in my gunsights, my Op Fire can make them pay as well.

This is it! Artillery plotted, one Air strike allocated against his Pattons, time to send the turn back to him!

jomni

Objectives should make up for lost points. How close are you on getting them relative to remaining time?

Crossroads

^^ Objectives offer a total of 550 points, so I am assuming what I really need to do is encircle and destroy the Jordanian forces in a piecemeal fashion.

I have a fast mobile taskforce in 45th Armd Bde, but of course made a mess of my flanking move by not having any Engineers with them, so got stuck in front of the Level 3 minefields...

I will soon find out if I still managed to break through in time, when I reach the high ground and have the LOS to what lies beneath. At best I can take some of my troops to keep the Jordanian reinforcements at bay, while mopping up the Jenin pocket from two directions. That was my plan anyways ...  :knuppel2:

Seydlitz

Great AAR, really enjoy it. Where can I get all these Mods you use?

jomni

Crossroads

Quote from: Seydlitz on January 25, 2016, 03:01:07 PM
Great AAR, really enjoy it. Where can I get all these Mods you use?

Thank you  :)

Links to the MausMan's excellent "Pseudo 3D" mod and to my "Ode to AIW Map and Counters Mod" can be found at CS Middle East Mods Subforum, HERE.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #11 - Kafr Dan

Into turn #11, one fourth of the scenario under the belt more or less. So let us begin with my brave Coy at the outskirts of Kafr Dan, engaging the fleeing Jordanians running to the hills. And having said that, I resisted linking the Iron Maiden song here. You're welcome!

We're putting the finishing touches to official 1.02 UPDATE, and one of the things there was just enough time to do was to touch upon all 3D tiles. They'e now washed out a  bit, and while the original hand painted map art still stands the time imho, this took some of the sting out of the original color scheme I believe.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

My plan here: chase the Jordanians, take an SP out here and there, all the points will help me.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #11 - Jenin

Finally, my infantry is able to advance to the outskirts of the fortified town, and to take advantage of the trench systems there. This will prove to be a tough fight for sure. I am bringing my fire support teams closer to blast out each obstacle one at a time, but this will be costly I am sure...

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

That's smoke I've targeted there as well. No worries, I am not firing at my own troops. Yet.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #11 - The 45th Armd Bde

However, my trepidation to cross the protective mine fields at the flank seem to have given Berto time to deploy all his tanks here, it seems. For I am not seeing any of them at Jenin. During the replay, I saw Pattons deploying there, and true enough, as I advance up the hill there I run into one of them. Berto's obviously put its Op Fire to OFF, so they would not reveal themselves. I fire at it by two Sherman troops, but only score a disruption.

As always, I prefer to play without the shadow mesh, so the visible hexes are highlighted in orange instead:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Having manouvered a bit, I spot another Patton troop there, and manage to knock one of the off. I move in well knowing there's the returning fire to come, but no time to be coy about this now. I called two airstrikes at them too, so I do hope I manage to keep a contact to them, and our flying friends will be swift in the arrival!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF End of Turn #11

Comparing the notes, we both lost three more tanks this turn, but Berto's turn #11 coming next I am paying the price of advancing towards him in an uphill battle, literally, where I keep spending Action Points in the difficult terrain, and he can - if he has managed to maneuver into proper positions in time - can enjoy a good old field fire practice. By no means I am downbeat here, good fun so far!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

JasonPratt

I've always been a big fan of the full-zoom mode in this series. But I appreciate the many different map modes, too.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!