Steampunk Airships?

Started by Jarhead0331, May 01, 2016, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The game is called "Airships" and I'm pretty smitten. Yes, its another pixel art game. Yes, its another game where you have to design and build combat vehicles. But its still pretty cool.

It takes place in some alternate steampunk world, but its very similar to imperial age europe. You design and construct airships (obviously), as well as tanks, fortresses, etc. There is a mode where you can just build and test in combat, but there is also a neat conquest mode, where you create a faction and fight it out over a map. I haven't tried that mode yet, but it looks like a nice idea. You can equip your constructs with cannons, rifles, grenades, Marines, etc. and, of course, you need to have ammo and coal stores, repair bays, fire points, crew quarters, supply hatches, a bridge, propulsion, etc.

Anyway, its still in early access, but its only $10. This is one of those little gems I never would have known about without surfing through the steam releases/sales page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342560/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Is there a purpose to making these pixel art? I get that "side-scrollers" have a weird nostalgia or something...but I don't get the pixel stuff. Just curious
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

My worst purchase of 2016. Gameplay is fun for about ten minutes.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on May 01, 2016, 07:30:58 PM
Is there a purpose to making these pixel art? I get that "side-scrollers" have a weird nostalgia or something...but I don't get the pixel stuff. Just curious

Maybe its easier for indie solo developers? I don't find the look distracting. I find the modules, sailors, marines, etc. all have pretty neat details and are very appropriately styled given the backdrop of the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DennisS on May 01, 2016, 07:39:00 PM
My worst purchase of 2016. Gameplay is fun for about ten minutes.

Well, I've played it for 61 minutes so far and still find myself enjoying it.

There are 503 steam reviews which are "overwhelmingly positive". I suppose you're in the minority.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Cyrano

As I gas up my new rig, it's strange that, given the new HP under the hood, this will be a prompt first purchase when Steam is up and running...

Looking forward to it.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

PanzersEast

So far I am digging it...... pretty fun game.

PE

mikeck

Man, glowing reviews on Steam...which is unusual. Think I will grab it. I can't resist a game where I have to design stuff and it either works or doesn't. Simple as that
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I've admittedly not played too much, but so far the only thing I would like to see changed is some larger maps to battle on. On the battle maps I have seen, maneuver is fairly limited, especially when there are obstacles located in the middle of the sky. Other than that, duking it out is tons of fun. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

kludger

Looks pretty cool, added it to my wishlist for the next Steam Sale.

Cyrano

I confess to being easily distracted.

I made it quickly through the tutorial, but discovered the heraldry generator and spent, well, a while.  Bad enough the thing gives actual bonuses to the empire that serves under particular achievements, but to have them accurately described is a pearl of great price.  Eight-bit or no, this is one of those brilliant little "labor of love" titles that would be worth more money than Steam makes you pay for it.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

solops

OK, I saw JH mention this in another thread, so I checked it out. Resisted for a few days, then I saw a price increase is due to hit soon, so I pulled the trigger. I booted it but have not really played. The opening menus are pretty slick. If the rest of the game follows suit, it may be a winner. The game is still actively supported and more stuff has been promised..
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

^The game is f*cking awesome. Period.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

How the hell did I miss this thread the first time around??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I just loaded it up again after a pretty long hiatus. It is still so good. I'm shocked I only have 8 hours into it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog