Main Menu

Steam Issues

Started by Rayfer, September 14, 2016, 01:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Anyone having issues with Steam today. Game playing is fine but it takes forever for the store page to open, and once it does I can't access my wish list?

OJsDad

I'm not having any issues.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mine's fine as well.

I do recall in the past that Steam would have regional slowdowns that would last a day or two.  That usually coincided with a big sale, big update, or release of a massively popular game though. 

Nefaro

Steam has regional servers, so it can go tits-up for some and be fine for others.

ghostryder

Did an update to Warhammer Total War and it took forever. Over an hour just "allocating space" and another for the download. I also deleted and reinstalled Stellaris to clean out stubburn mods that still remain active dispite unscribing to them in the workshop as well as unclicking them on the launch screen. One mod--'expanded terroforming' wouldn't go away even doing a reinstall- not only did I have to manually delete the mod in the mod folder--hell i just nuked the entire folder in Documents/" but i also had to manually delete downloaded mods that steam stores in Steam/Common/workshop--not a particulary easy task as the files are just numbers and you must open each one in notepad to identify them.

Whoever thinks the steam workshop is a god send to modding needs their head examined. Aside from the above issues some mods when updated need you to unsubscribe and do the manual delete per above and then re-subscribe-restart steam before the update actually downloads and applies.

Let's not even get into file size limitations or the nightmare of browsing a large mod database. When you game with Steam it's like sticking nails in your eyes while being waterboarded :crazy2:

Rayfer

My problem lasted most of the day then suddenly stopped....all is now working well.  Go figure?

Nefaro

Quote from: ghostryder on September 14, 2016, 06:39:15 PM
Did an update to Warhammer Total War and it took forever. Over an hour just "allocating space" and another for the download. I also deleted and reinstalled Stellaris to clean out stubburn mods that still remain active dispite unscribing to them in the workshop as well as unclicking them on the launch screen. One mod--'expanded terroforming' wouldn't go away even doing a reinstall- not only did I have to manually delete the mod in the mod folder--hell i just nuked the entire folder in Documents/" but i also had to manually delete downloaded mods that steam stores in Steam/Common/workshop--not a particulary easy task as the files are just numbers and you must open each one in notepad to identify them.

Whoever thinks the steam workshop is a god send to modding needs their head examined. Aside from the above issues some mods when updated need you to unsubscribe and do the manual delete per above and then re-subscribe-restart steam before the update actually downloads and applies.

Let's not even get into file size limitations or the nightmare of browsing a large mod database. When you game with Steam it's like sticking nails in your eyes while being waterboarded :crazy2:

I think Steam's Mod Workshop is a great feature.  As long as it works properly.  But the Steam client has been so regularly buggy over the years,  it doesn't surprise me when something screws up. 

I've read of people having the same issue with it, having to manually delete mods.  Been trying to avoid "Mod Soup", and stay as close to vanilla as I can.  So, luckily, I've managed to avoid Workshop issues thus far, other than having to restart to get it to actually remove something, but it's probably only a matter of time.   

EDIT:

And those fookeen Total War updates...  ::)  Even their 120MB patches take 15 minutes to process, as if all the game files have to be unpacked & repacked.  Been like that for TW games since one of the Shogun 2 updates as far as I recall.

Tpek

^It's not because of TW, it's Steam's way of handling the way game files are stored in order to minimize defragmentation.

In general, the larger a game is and the more it gets patched since you first did a clean install, the more time it will take.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on September 15, 2016, 01:15:27 PM
^It's not because of TW, it's Steam's way of handling the way game files are stored in order to minimize defragmentation.

In general, the larger a game is and the more it gets patched since you first did a clean install, the more time it will take.

Naa.. it's something with the Total War games.

Their updates take approximately ten times as long as most other similarly sized patches from other games.  Nearly all of it while doing the actual file patching.   Because the hard disk activity just runs & runs, even on small patches. 

My first guess is due to how TW has it's files packed.

Tpek

^I've had this issue with other games as well.

And both with them and TW titles, the first patches were quick and easy to update, with each patch getting progressively more problematic.

Grim.Reaper

I have noticed this too, really annoys me because of all the disk access, everything slows down...I have only seen with TW so far with my games.