Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing

Started by BanzaiCat, October 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Ok, thanks, Mirth.

I redid airboy's portrait but Photobucket is being a pain again (big surprise). So here it is through imgur:

I also updated the previous page's image, though that won't change the hilarity of my error.  :))

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on October 28, 2016, 06:20:58 AM
He's a lot less interesting now :P

I'm not touching LGBT issues in this thread...

By the way, do you like this better, mirth, or the original?

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 28, 2016, 06:36:34 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 28, 2016, 06:20:58 AM
He's a lot less interesting now :P

I'm not touching LGBT issues in this thread...

By the way, do you like this better, mirth, or the original?

This one. Thanks!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

That's Bill Murray from the cover of the movie Scrooged behind that bushy beard.

Okay, looks like we're set for a launch in the next few days hopefully. Thanks everyone for following along and for the positive feedback thus far, it's greatly appreciated!

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Photobucket has been having problems for days, and there's thousands of PO'd people out there. What ya gonna do for a free service, though? Still, it's a PITA.

Anyway, I'll keep this short.

Champions of Krynn - Game Introduction

That pink, though.

Champions of Krynn is an old school Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box game. Released originally in 1990, now (gasp) 26 years ago, it was the first of three Krynn-themed DragonLance games. At the time, this was beholden to the rules of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Those familiar with the Companions from the original DragonLance novels, specifically, the Chronicles Trilogy (I know, I know...it's probably "Dragonlance," but I'm going to capitalize the 'L,' mmkay?) will recognize several names and settings. I myself only within the last few years actually read those Chronicles novels.

I've already gone in depth on the characters involved in the game, as well as the changes to this point, so go back and read all that if you want to see what I'm putting in to this game world. Hopefully I can make this entertaining. As usual though, I am doing this by the seat of my pants and praying inspiration will strike appropriately.

The first part will be starting soon. I HAD to take a break from work before I start dreaming of giant generators.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 28, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Photobucket has been having problems for days, and there's thousands of PO'd people out there. What ya gonna do for a free service, though? Still, it's a PITA.

I currently use Tinypic, or Postimage.org.   No sign-up requirements.  Although you gotta do some Humanity Confirmation tests on occasion.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on October 28, 2016, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 28, 2016, 05:29:54 PM

I currently use Tinypic, or Postimage.org.   No sign-up requirements.  Although you gotta do some Humanity Confirmation tests on occasion.

Thanks, Nef, but Postimage.org is having issues with funding, at least according to their site.

I'm using imgur right now, and it's actually quicker than having to go through Photobucket's process...though I prefer PB just because I need to log in and I can have all of those pictures in my account. I'm hoping the imgur images won't go and disappear into thin air, which is why I'm trying to put this start off. It's my understanding that imgur only hosts images for six months unless they get viewed at least once in that time, otherwise, they delete 'em.

Maybe Tinypic would work, as it says getting an account and uploading to it will save your pics indefinitely. I might move over to that if PB can't get its shite straight in the next day or so.

BanzaiCat

One thing I didn't post is the new character image I did for Sir Slash, since he's now a Human Cleric and not a Q-Elf Cleric/Ranger:

Looks like tinypic is working - thanks for the reference, Nef!

BanzaiCat

1. So First, Solace

Yes, MD...I am going to attempt to make every story section title a "play on words," or "pun" as you so magnificently know them. Don't worry, they'll be lame.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our story begins after the War of the Lance. Evil armies have been shattered and most of the forces of good have returned to their homelands, leaving only outposts to safeguard the recovered lands.

While the most powerful of scourges have been eradicated or driven from the lands, the scars of the war remain behind. Within those scars hide some vestiges of evil, left over from the War, hiding from certain death. Still, as the people attempt to reclaim their shattered villages and re-till their blood-soaked farm lands, those vestiges remain to be...addressed. They could have easily been wiped out by the armies of good, but they themselves had their own lands to rebuild, their own families to return to.

As such, there are plenty of possibilities for finding trouble, as many adventurers recently arrived in the town of Solace have found. Not just trouble, but also weapons and magic of renown; many hope they have been left behind by the battling armies. There's no telling what riches may remain, or might be scattered in various broken towers or desolate battle-scapes.

Some adventurers gather for the promise of riches and quick steel; others to wet their blades and mauls with the blood of enemies; still more to rub out the remaining stains of evil that blot the land.

Why, pray, do our adventurers gather together here? What could possibly be worth leaving their worlds behind to strike out against the rumors of still-powerful evil forces in hiding nearby? Why gather in these remote border outposts where resources are scarce and hardships plenty?

Let's turn everything over to our Eye in the Sky, Quaervaervaxthanususssesus Smith.

...you KNOW I'm in the dungeon, guys. They haven't let me out in a millenia.

Anyway.

I spoke earlier with these so-called "heroes" - these ruiners of innocent monster lives, these treacharous invaders of peaceful underground dwellings where creatures lurk to remain out of the sight of hateful adventurers - they are out for one thing and one thing only:

Experience points.

No matter what they said to me, keep this in mind, loyal viewers. Here's what these wannabe genocide masters had to say for themselves, as to why they're really here.

Sir Slash, Human Male, 45 (315 in Pug years):
I am here to spread the righteousness of my Lord, Mishakal, to bring peace to lands that have suffered far too long.

Pray, how do you define "peace," exactly?

...well, she IS the Goddess of healing and restoration, both in body and in the spirits of mortals.

I see, I see...so, the hell with the undead, then?

Excuse me?!?

You've made it far too clear to our viewers: you're a dead-hater. How dare you, uh...sir. How. Dare. You.

Airboy, Kender Male, 42:

...money.

...and?!?

...annnnnd...wot?

(looks into camera, shakes head slowly...)

Mirth, Hill Dwarf Male, 102:

TO PARTY!!!!!

Yes, well, we KNOW you're joining a party...

IT'S GOING TO BE EPIC, BRO!!!

...soooo...that's the ONLY reason? To..."party," to use a noun as a verb, as you so eloquently put it?

YEAH. AND SHOOT THINGS.

Clearly, monster lives don't matter to you.

WELL...NO, THEY'RE THE ONES GUARDING THE TREASURES, SEE? SO YA GOTTA SHOOT 'EM, BRO!

Dear viewers, out there in dungeon land: beware these heathens.

MetalDog, half-breed Half Elf Male, 58:

...wait, what was the...question? Was it?

We asked you WHY you've come here.

Oh! Uh...wait, I...had it...OH! I'm...going to have pizza and...learn about...Cccuuuba?

Cuba.

No, what are you...high? Cuba! Pfft, hahahaha. No. I heard things were, like...broken and stuff. Relax, all right? I'm here now. My old man is a horse trough repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Perhaps local authorities should be mindful of...crimes against plant life in the following months.

BBMike, Human Mage, 50:

J-j-just checking out the books, sir.

Books, eh? You plan on taking all the tomes of knowledge left that have not yet been burned, and have a HUGE BONFIRE, DON'T YOU, YOU BOOK-BURNING NAZI?!?

I...wait...uh...no? Burning? Ha! Err...no! Of course not.

So. BBMike. When did you STOP burning books?

I...huh? No, I...

All aspects of culture in Krynn are subject to the whims of these so-called 'adventurers!' Pathetic!

*sob*

Banzai-Cat, Human Solamnic Knight, 46:

I'm going to cook.

A-HA! You're going to hunt, kill, and then barbarically EAT the denizens of these lands?

No, but that does sound delightful, now that you mention it.

Egads!

Tell me, is your kind better served with a blush or a nice white?

There you have it, gentle beings. Tragedy, despair, death, looting, and ruination of vast cultures, all for the draw of power and greed.

Until next time, I'm Quaervaervaxthanususssesus Smith saying, "You've said a mouthful!"

airboy

Greed is good - Grimjack

Monster Lives Don't Matter - Everyone

Barthheart