NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart [Completed]

Started by JasonPratt, March 19, 2017, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

We aren't yet actually at the "40 to 1" battle Sabaton has sung about -- and at this rate we may never be!  :o

Partly this is due to the scenario / campaign developers deciding that Guderian's 19th corps (including Rommel) should be plopped somewhere completely unable to get to Wisna (and that the 10th Panzer Division should not even be part of Guderian's command -- but still nowhere near the historical action). So I'm stuck trying to advance on that area with a couple of reserve divisions, against a shockingly large number of Polish defenders -- whom Barth has decided to advance against my weak far-east wing, threatening to overrun and/or pocket them out of existence.

But partly this is due to Barth playing the Polish for all they're worth, under the circumstances. See: advancing local troops around Wisnia (or Viznia or however it's spelled in non-cyrillic), up to threaten my far east wing and thus, by extension, my whole East Prussian campaign.

Consequently I feel like if I'm going to reference that battle by referencing that song, I had better start doing so now! -- except I'm going to use an 8-bit version on a non-monetized video and so hopefully avoid a content strike. (Plus on the Youtube page itself I'm giving links to where to find the music, both Epic-NES-metal's covers and the original Sabaton album, as well as the official YT channel for Sabaton's publishers.)

Also, Ugniavijas returns with another song promoting their other album (which I might have accidentally mixed up, but really anyone who likes the music should get both).

Enough attributioning. To Turn Two!

(...yes, I know, I need to find or create a better screen thumbnail there.   :buck2: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Kaz from Ugniavijas is so happy with the video (he hasn't seen Two yet but I've sent him the link tonight) that he sent me the band's logo to officially use in the credits!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Barth certainly plays much more aggressively than the AI does. I prefer it in a nice, predictable, retreating back to it's cities form. It's weird that you can't use RR movement more. Something I've never ran into before. Maybe it's an MP-thing?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Yeah, I'll be looking into that RR-movement problem more closely for Turn 4. Still couldn't for Turn 3 (and I need to shift some extra force eastward in East Prussia pronto, so not having it is a bit of a pain), but neither did I systematically investigate why not either -- mainly because I was already in the turn and recording footage.

Barth has sent back his Turn 3 last week already, but due to a developing spring-allergy cold (and Eastery things, and taxes) I've only been picking away at things I can put down quickly (like practicing skirmish in Steel Divisions). I'm finally on the back side of the cold and was preparing to work on finishing Ep 3 and then playing Turn 4 this weekend...

...but with a death in my brother's family (wife's mother) this morning, I'm likely to be delayed longer. Not too much, I hope, but maybe another week. I just didn't want readers (viewers!) to worry I had given up already. ;)

Barth knows about the delay from the head-cold already, and I'll be passing along probable-delay news to him soon so he'll be caught up on the situation.

Meanwhile, if you want hints about what's going to happen, feel free to buy a copy of CRY OF JUSTICE. It won't give you any hints, but it may distract you from wanting hints for a while!  >:D (Also, that way I can poke fun at my Amazon ranking during the introduction in new ways.  O0 )

Crossroads

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's all good, take your time, good things are worth the wait right
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

Turn Three! -- the literal do not even-ing.

If you expect some Winged Hussar action, you have expected correctly.

Ubercat

Wow Jason, that is NOT how I expected your voice to sound.

BTW, soldiers on horses are called cavalry, not calvary, but you knew that already.  :D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

Yeah, I usually pronounce it correctly, but my southern accent gets in the way sometimes. ;)

(Edited to add: now I'm having to fight my minor OC-D to see how many times I slur it to sound like the Latin for Golgotha...!)

Crossroads

Great stuff again Jason, appreciate the effort you've put into these videos! And the 8bit Sabaton song rocks :knuppel2:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

For something approaching more amusement value, you can also now watch me going completely schizo (or, I suppose, hysterical, since multiple personalities are a form of hysteria), as I play GMT's Churchill vs myself vs myself!

The elves in my computer are slowwwwly enscribing the upload this morning at home while I'm at work, so Turn One should be ready no later than mid-afternoon (Central US time), but the introductory Turn Zero already exists at the link.

And now that I'm caught up on production, I can actually play games again, woo!  <:-)

Sir Slash

I like what you're doing in this campaign-- beating-up on Barth's forces so at least they'll be attrited before to big show at Warsaw. Looks like he's got a lot of troops along that Warta River line, maybe you can put them in your pocket where they belong.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I haven't played Turn 4 yet, so I don't know how he's responding yet (although I've got his Turn 3), but I strenuously doubt he'll keep that thin but extended line on the Warta. He'll try to fall back and maybe take some opportunity shots at me as my infantry line crosses the river.

As both of us are demonstrating, any attempt at logistic-level flanking runs a parallel risk of also being cut off. On the point I have the advantage simply by having more units capable of devoting to the pocket attempt allowing some security, whereas he's having to Hail!Mary his cavalry (which aren't much use on defense anyway) by themselves and hope to score.

By comparison to our DC3:Barbar game, even when he was running people around to pocket me, I couldn't counter-pocket (despite his more vulnerable logistic trail) because (1) he had enough units spread out to protect against any counter-thrusts (a lot more unit density than I do in most places) and (2) DC3 simulates the screwy unit activation problems of the Soviet Army, which meant I was rarely able to move anything than in blurps and blips.

JasonPratt

The new Episode is being uploaded now, so I'll go ahead and post the code:

There are at least two Nazi corps about to be vaporized by the Poles; and at least one "calvary" joke at myself.  ::)

UPDATE: now active!  <:-)

Crossroads

Thanks Jason, stellar stuff again. Encirclements being built both ways, need to remember to breathe at some stage... East East-Prussia looks tough indeed, is there an editor or something like that to have the historical balance there? Looks very tough as it is.

JasonPratt

There is sort-of an editor option which can be chosen as a game variant, where each side gets a free turn to move units around the map for custom starting positions. We didn't play this because I didn't know at the time how wonky the positions were set up by the campaign devs.

Although personally I wouldn't set up historically either. I'd try to figure out the somewhat obscure German supply-sourcing rules first, and then set up everything in a protected corridor thrust to knife at Warsaw and surround it, cutting everything else on the map off from supply, and then expanding to sweep up the crumbling remnants.