Graviteam's TANK WARFARE: Tunisa 1943 due out on STEAM in May 2017

Started by Staggerwing, April 18, 2017, 12:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

Oh stfu graviteam. If I hear it doesn't work on seven im gonna be pissed.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

sandman2575

I don't think 'not supported' necessarily means 'will not work with' -- on the Steam forum Andrey confirms this.   I'd be amazed if the game simply doesn't run on win 7.  Guess we'll see.

Pete Dero

andrey12345 v2.0  [developer] 28 apr om 14:15

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft from 2015.                          ? ? ?
Now it's already 2017. The game is also not supported this OS.
This does not mean that it will not work there. Simply means that it is not supported (we do not check on this system) and nothing more.

RyanE

Graviteam sees the writing on the wall...

According to StarCounter (market sizing org uses web traffic as its main data source)

Win7 - 39% with a fairly rapid decline in the last two years as corporate IT moves to Win10 and consumer PCs come preloaed with Win10.
Win10 - 30% with a predictable steady increase
Win 8/8.1 - 10% with a rapid decrease feeding Win10 increase
Win XP - 4.5 will be less than 1% in two years
Vista - less than 1%

So Win10/8 has a slight edge over Win7 and in a couple years, the gap will be double digits

Add to that MS's sunsetting of Win7 support, not sure it is a bad thing for a dev to not bother paying for the tools and licenses for Win7.

I made the change to Win10 when it first came out and did benchmarking on Il2 against Win7.  Win10 gave me 1-2 FPS on avergae on the same machine.  Of course the Win10 install cleaned up a lot of crap on my machine, so it could have been that.  In fact, if you watched me use my main laptop, you wouldn't even know it was Win10.  I have it configured to look  and feel just like Win7.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on April 30, 2017, 12:15:00 PM
Graviteam sees the writing on the wall...

According to StarCounter (market sizing org uses web traffic as its main data source)

Win7 - 39% with a fairly rapid decline in the last two years as corporate IT moves to Win10 and consumer PCs come preloaed with Win10.
Win10 - 30% with a predictable steady increase
Win 8/8.1 - 10% with a rapid decrease feeding Win10 increase
Win XP - 4.5 will be less than 1% in two years
Vista - less than 1%

So Win10/8 has a slight edge over Win7 and in a couple years, the gap will be double digits

Add to that MS's sunsetting of Win7 support, not sure it is a bad thing for a dev to not bother paying for the tools and licenses for Win7.

I made the change to Win10 when it first came out and did benchmarking on Il2 against Win7.  Win10 gave me 1-2 FPS on avergae on the same machine.  Of course the Win10 install cleaned up a lot of crap on my machine, so it could have been that.  In fact, if you watched me use my main laptop, you wouldn't even know it was Win10.  I have it configured to look  and feel just like Win7.

How many people play Graviteam games? Of the relatively niche group of those that do, how many do you think run their wargames on machines with an older OS?  My hunch would be most of them. Wargamers also, I suspect, tend to not play on systems pre-loaded with OEM software. The point I'm making is that there is probably a lot of nuance when it comes to these kinds of games and the people that play them since they tend to not be the standard consumer.

Makes no difference to me...I have systems running everything from WinXP to Win10 and everything in between...because, hey, you never know. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

I understand, but I see wargamers playing on Vista still.  At some point, you have to cut it off.  I find completely reasonable to stop developing specifically for Win7.  I would also bet that Graviteam knows their market fairly well.  I suspect their main market is also not people who frequent this board.  Their Russian language board on their site used to be a lot more active than the English language side.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on April 30, 2017, 02:31:22 PM
I understand, but I see wargamers playing on Vista still.  At some point, you have to cut it off.  I find completely reasonable to stop developing specifically for Win7.  I would also bet that Graviteam knows their market fairly well.  I suspect their main market is also not people who frequent this board.  Their Russian language board on their site used to be a lot more active than the English language side.

Yeah...I agree. I don't blame them for not supporting an OS that is a few generations old at this point either.  Andrey seems to be a pretty interesting guy. I'm not sure he develops games his fans necessarily want to play. I think he makes the games he wants to play. lol. 

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

I'd be shocked if it didnt run on Win7, i'm betting it does. Win8 is a different animal, more touch screen related. A lot seems to be lost in translation when communicating with Andre, any question about the UI or how to do things or documentation it pretty much comes across like your an idiot. The documentation is better but still seems like stuff is missing or explained badly. Still looking forward to the desert warfare, i'll probably buy next weekend.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RyanE

I am curious if the dev and the documentation comes across better in the native language.

Hofstadter

If it works, the stream will commence at 10:30 AM AEST. Which corresponds to 5:30 california time. I'm going to be using youtube for the stream

Why california, its the only state I could think of. Hopefully this windows 7 thing wont screw me over. 

Unless theres a different time I should do it. I kinda suck with the zones
My wargaming channel

Pete Dero

Quote from: Hofstadter on May 01, 2017, 01:21:58 AM
Hopefully this windows 7 thing wont screw me over. 

Bismarck (James Cobb) seems to have early access and posted this on the steam forums after playing some 4 hours : It runs fine on Win 7-64 bit.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197985455133

PS. release in about 9 hours

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel

Raied

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

RyanE

I saw in the video the LOS tool.  Steel Beasts has one too.  I have never understood BFC's claim that a LOS tool would be too CPU-intensive for CM players.  How is it that other games, with what looks like just as high fidelity as CM, can have those tools.  That is a great feature of Graviteam.