Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

No save blueprint. However if you lose and have to restart without leaving the game it rememebers until you exit the mission entirely.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

em2nought

There are a few in game videos posted in the Naval forum at simhq
Stolen elections have consequences.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 10, 2019, 08:55:30 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2019, 07:27:59 PM

This Imperial Chinese Superdreadnought was one of my more successful designs -- not very fast, but with 11 15-inch guns and plenty of 5-inch secondaries -- how can you go wrong?

This design turned out to be a bit light even for a small battlecruiser despite its 6 13-inch guns:

Destraex

I am having trouble with the torp/dd vs a battleship mission. After I take it down to 50-60% at long range the thing just runs. At close range I don't stand a chance.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 16, 2019, 09:39:50 PM
I am having trouble with the torp/dd vs a battleship mission. After I take it down to 50-60% at long range the thing just runs. At close range I don't stand a chance.

I can't do much with torpedoes either.  They don't seem to do a lot of damage.

Speedy

It might depend on what size torpedo you are using or the BB's may have a torpedo belt.

I've experienced both extremes with once seeing an enemy battleship go down after being hit with a single salvo of about 4 torps and another time having a single enemy battleship hit by over 10 torpedoes and still cruising along with over 60% float and holding steady with the flooding.

JasonPratt

Are torps supposed to be all that effective during this time period anyway?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 29, 2019, 03:23:10 PM
Are torps supposed to be all that effective during this time period anyway?  ???

Basically no, but the SMS Pommern blew up spectacularly at Jutland after one torp hit.  Not likely at all in the current state of this game.

besilarius

Jon Parshall, of the book Shattered Sword, did a study of torpedo attacks by the Japanese navy with the superb Type 93 Long Lance torpedo.  He figured that the hit percentage turned out to just over 6%.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Rayfer

Quote from: besilarius on October 29, 2019, 08:10:36 PM
Jon Parshall, of the book Shattered Sword, did a study of torpedo attacks by the Japanese navy with the superb Type 93 Long Lance torpedo.  He figured that the hit percentage turned out to just over 6%.

Shattered Sword was one heck of a great book...!

besilarius

My mistake.  The study I was thinking of was at the Navweps site by Joe Czarnicki.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-067.php
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Out of that 6%, what was the detonation rate; and from that percentage of percentage the damage effect?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

There wasnt enough information to determine the rate of hits that were duds.  So it was 6.71% hits that exploded. 
Total number of hits was probably higher.
Damage from a Long Lance was usually catastrophic.  The article gives some descriptions.

Here is another look.     https://www.history.navy.mil/about-us/leadership/director/directors-corner/h-grams/h-gram-008/h-008-3.html

"With your eyes closed?"

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 16, 2019, 11:38:02 AM

There's a new update out.  Heavier guns are relatively more effective at long range now so my armored cruiser with an 11-inch gun did not do well against a semi-dreadnought.  Here's my hopeful armored cruiser:

Gusington

How is the new update pushed to players? Do I have to go get it or is it automatic somehow?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd