Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

Grim.Reaper

Not sure about this one yet, hopefully those that jump in can share some thoughts....

The_Admiral

Pretty sure it's gonna be solid, one can see that from the looks alone (and the well documented habits of that one good studio to deliver and be true to its word...!).

At any rate, Darth and his team have been an inspiration all along, and I wouldn't be making the game I am making today if it hadn't been for people like them to lead the way (and prove it could be done).

Future limited edition user here, starting tonight once I get home from work.  ;)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: The_Admiral on October 04, 2019, 05:16:22 AM
Pretty sure it's gonna be solid, one can see that from the looks alone (and the well documented habits of that one good studio to deliver and be true to its word...!).

At any rate, Darth and his team have been an inspiration all along, and I wouldn't be making the game I am making today if it hadn't been for people like them to lead the way (and prove it could be done).

Future limited edition user here, starting tonight once I get home from work.  ;)

Hope so...saw one post refer to it as an arcade version of rule the waves...could be an early over reaction since it just came out.  Although I prefer more sim than arcade, RTW can be too deep for me so maybe a "lighter" version isn't so bad.  Probably too early to draw conclusions anyway:)

Destraex

The game is (now my gag order is lifted) mainly about constructing ships for the job you intend to carry out.
You choose components and technology as well as lengthening and shortening the hull size and boiler (speed) size. Your ship has a budget and can be overweight for the hull as well. You put gunnery towers and armaments all over the hull. you can determine the thickness of armour almost everywhere. Then take the things out and see how they go.

Firing ranges can be insane and staying out of torpedo range is part of the game. Although I like to get in close and watch the fireworks.

Here are some shots from me mucking around with a few basic 1 on 1 scenarios.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

Very tempted but for now my laptop is just above the minimum specs. I'll need to upgrade.

Destraex

I think it is worth getting. Because I really love mucking around with warship builds. The game just has the tutorials at the moment, but they are many and the later ones are pretty much full blown scenarios.
The tutorials are amazing fun, there are 21 of them and they go from building ships to chase down enemy DDs, destroying battleships with only a few DDs all the way up to battles with about 15 or so ships per side. It's a relaxing game.
Of course it is alpha pre-release with release being some time next year iirc. No campaign or other scenarios as of yet.

It's a game of what ifs with ship hulls from the end of sail up until the Yamato. No aircraft in sight either. It's gun vs gun. So don't expect historical accuracy per sae. It's a game first and foremost. By the creator of Ultimate General. The gents here will be happy to know that it is only single player as far as I am aware.

Grim.Reaper

My biggest fear with this game is I simply don't know enough about ships and how to build them.  What kind of tools or things included that would help someone like me?  Or simply is this a game I should pass on?

Destraex

Grim, It's as simple as it gets. Point and click to click\snap things onto ships like lego. Everything can be hovered over for detailed explanation tooltips as per my screenshot above.
The game tells you say, when your boilers are too big for your hull etc. I think this is a very accessible game. I doubt you will be fighting the interface instead of playing the game. But you do have to work out how to manage fitting everything you want on the ship onto the hull! Always compromising.

Gusington

The naval gaming gods have answered my prayers!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on October 04, 2019, 09:25:14 AM
Grim, It's as simple as it gets. Point and click to click\snap things onto ships like lego. Everything can be hovered over for detailed explanation tooltips as per my screenshot above.
The game tells you say, when your boilers are too big for your hull etc. I think this is a very accessibly game. I doubt you will be fighting the interface instead of playing the game. But you do have to work out how to manage fitting everything you want on the ship onto the hull! Always compromising.

Thanks, I do think I would have no issue with the tools, was more concerned about knowing how to configure a ship (hulls, turrets, etc.)...I have no idea what would make a good ship:)

Destraex

Yes. That is where the fun lies. Finding out what makes a good ship and where ship designers had trouble.
Just be aware that this is a fairly light wargame rather than a hard core CAD ship designer with every historical detail. You are restricted by the HULL forms in the game that are the basis of your ship. Although you can stretch any of the hulls, or for that matter shorten them.

It's not trying to be any other wargame. It's just a bit of what if fun.

trek

Longtime dream come true for me too! Funny how timing in life works. I recently purchased several books on the subject: One on Naval Warfare 1914-1918 from Amber Books UK as part of their multi-volume series on WWI and also one of the Osprey Duel Series books: British Dreadnoughts vs German Deadnoughts. Talk about learn as you read/go!

Destraex, thanks for the detailed info in you're posts as I've just purchased UAD and I'm just getting into the academy and building my first ship. How would you rate the naval battles with your gameplay experience so far? I guess I'm interested in ship movement and strategy. Last WWI naval game I played was Jutland. so I'm very excited to hear more details.

Gusington

How much, if any, of the campaign is available with this alpha?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd