Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2019, 08:03:07 AM
On the new site I can see that there are a nice number of nations to play as, including China and Japan - which I was not expecting.

For pre-dreadnought, armored cruiser battles, the major contenders were Greece, Turkey, Russia, Japan and China -- in some cases using British or French constructed ships.  On remote stations, the RN and the German Empire clashed, but of course any battlecruiser could shut that down quickly (as in the Falklands in 1914).

em2nought

Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

Playing as China in the 1890s SIno Japanese War would be epic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2019, 12:25:26 PM
Playing as China in the 1890s SIno Japanese War would be epic.

And allthmoreso if your French cruisers turned up instead of disappearing mysteriously on the high seas.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2019, 02:46:44 PM
'Mysteriously'

Actually, it was a French cruiser that the Japanese bought in the 1880s that disapeared without a trace -- I think.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

There is a new book out on armored cruisers in the period before Dreadnaught.
Think it is published by Naval Institute Press.  Will see if I can find it again, and if so will post the information.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2019, 04:52:08 PM
Do you know the name?

Protected Cruiser Unebi.  Launched (1886) Le Havre.  Purchased by Japan, but vanished on the way to Japan.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 03, 2019, 07:32:38 PM
Do you know the name?

Protected Cruiser Unebi.  Launched (1886) Le Havre.  Purchased by Japan, but vanished on the way to Japan.

ル・アーヴル港を出港する日本巡洋艦「畝傍」

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 03, 2019, 07:36:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 03, 2019, 07:32:38 PM
Do you know the name?

ル・アーヴル港を出港する日本巡洋艦「畝傍」

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 03, 2019, 07:37:01 PM

Apparently Emil Bertin designed and built (he was in Japan 1886-1890) most of the Japanese fleet that won the 1894 war with China.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Fascinating stuff.  History I didn't know, and I taught the subject for 20 years.  I love it when I learn something new and I thank you for it.

It of course must've been aliens.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2019, 11:18:33 PM
Fascinating stuff.  History I didn't know, and I taught the subject for 20 years.  I love it when I learn something new and I thank you for it.

It of course must've been aliens.

I blame the Chinese.