Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

I bought it. The purchasing process was new to me but I got it. Build your own ships and watch them fight. Good stuff. Runs great.

Gusington

Buying it later tonight, hopefully. It calls my name.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 07, 2019, 11:31:41 AM
Quote from: Skoop on October 05, 2019, 04:35:11 PM
Looks great, I may have to jump in rather than wait for steam release.  The age of sail one looks great too, I'll probably get em both.

I'm enjoying it.  Here HMS Agamemnon (a late pre-dreadnought sort of...) tries to close with two Imperial German Superdreadnoughts, hoping to use the 7-inch casement guns (30-seconds later she was blown to bits):

This Italian armored cruiser was a more successful design..though with 6 11-inch guns and advanced fire-control III -- how can you miss.  She and her sisters inflicted a sort of little Tsushima  on the Russians.  Yes, it being a pretty Russian game those 1905-ish monsters are very much in the game:

Gusington

Bought it last night, will set it up in the next few days. So far the descriptions here are quite loin moistening.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

It might just be this for the next 1000 installments.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

I'm curious about this one. I have "Rule the Waves" and "Rule the Waves II".  It sounds similar , but with better graphics.  Has anyone played both?  If so, what is your verdict on the two games?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Skoop

I have neither, but I can guess that the Admiral game doesn't have the depth of rule the waves.  The Admiral game looks way more fun to play though.  If you own RTW, you must like the era so why not own both. 

em2nought

Quote from: Skoop on October 08, 2019, 02:42:54 PM
If you own RTW, you must like the era so why not own both.

I can see them being kind of complementary.   Get different things you're after from each. 

Shoot, now I'm kind of jonesing to take my computer out of the hands it's temporarily been placed into.  :dreamer:
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Can you name your ships you build? Because that could result in some  :hide: moments.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 08, 2019, 06:17:24 PM
Can you name your ships you build? Because that could result in some  :hide: moments.

Well -- its very alpha -- which can be fun of course but:

1) you can't name your ships
2) you don't even know what country you will be or who your enemies are until you launch.  The Italians crushing a Tsushima style Russian force was pretty unexpected!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2019, 07:27:59 PM

2) you don't even know what country you will be or who your enemies are until you launch.  The Italians crushing a Tsushima style Russian force was pretty unexpected!

Can you elaborate on #2....you don't start the game as a specific country building ships for it?  How does the game assign you a country then?

al_infierno

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 08, 2019, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2019, 07:27:59 PM

Can you elaborate on #2....you don't start the game as a specific country building ships for it?  How does the game assign you a country then?

Right now there's no campaign mode implemented, just a series of pre-built scenarios designed to teach you the game.  The scenario descriptions don't tell you who you are or who you're facing, it just explains the objective and scenario details and drops you into the ship designer.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon, you can see the national flag sailing on your ship during the designer.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

DennisS

Quote from: Tripoli on October 08, 2019, 12:58:35 PM
I'm curious about this one. I have "Rule the Waves" and "Rule the Waves II".  It sounds similar , but with better graphics.  Has anyone played both?  If so, what is your verdict on the two games?

I have both, and love both. Personally, RTW II is superior, as it adds naval aviation.