Looking for recommendations on Mexican-American War books

Started by JasonPratt, July 30, 2019, 07:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Note: also posted in the Military (and other) History subcategory.

My brother's birthday is coming up at the end of August; and while reading Churchill's volume on "The Great Democracies" (part of his history of English-speaking people, written before and during WW2), concerning the 1800s, he discovered the Mexican-American war and wanted to read more about it. Especially its connections to eventual American Civil War leaders.

I don't think I have anything on it myself -- I roughly knew about it already (including its ACW connections) -- so I'm shopping around for recommendations.

So far I'm looking at:

Eisenhower's So Far From God

Guardino's The Dead March

Baur's The Mexican War

Tucker's Encyclopedia of the Mexican-American War (this is an expensive 3 volume library set, actually more expensive on Kindle for some reason, even when it's on sale!  :o Probably not what he's after anyway, as he wants more focus on the characters and strategic/operational/tactical aspects.)

Hannings' US-Mexican War: A Complete Chronology

Henderson's Glorious Defeat: Mexico and its War with the United States (focuses more on Mexico's side for balance purposes)

and

Dugard's Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican-American War
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I know, I was the same way. The kindle version is over $300, discounted down into the $200s somewhere. The hardback in three volumes is $160ish.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

IICptMillerII

I haven't read much on the Mexican-American war personally as it doesn't interest me too much, but I have a friend who really likes the period and is very well read on it. He recommends So Far From God and says it is the best book on the subject. A Wicked War focuses on the anti-war movement, and A Glorious Defeat is a history of Mexico up to and through the conflict and helps to add a lot of context.

That's what he tells me at least. Hope that helps some!

bobarossa

Although it focuses on the Mexico City campaign I highly recommend Timothy Johnson's A Gallant Little Army.  He makes a point of mentioning officers who would later be Civil War leaders.

jamesharp2233

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 30, 2019, 01:21:18 PM
I know, I was the same way. The kindle version is over $300, discounted down into the $200s somewhere. The hardback in three volumes is $160ish.
I would really like to find a site related to wars.
I have been working for an IT company for over 7 years. I am a front end developer and I love what I do. I also try to travel when I have time.

Tripoli

Quote from: jamesharp2233 on July 09, 2022, 09:47:00 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 30, 2019, 01:21:18 PM

Welcome to Grogheads, James!  Regarding your question on "finding a site related to wars", I'm sure the group here can help you out, but you may need to narrow your question a bit: What wars are you primarily interested in, and from what perspective? for example, US Civil War gaming, or US Civil War History, or US Civil War professional/academic?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: jamesharp2233 on July 09, 2022, 09:47:00 AM

Perhaps semi-related to your request, but per Jason Pratt (IIRC) in a previous post hereabouts, there is a place called "Bush War Books," online where you can get gobs of free pdfs that may fancy your tickle.

And hello!

JasonPratt

Heh, I can't recall right now what I eventually got the Bro, but it was a good set! Let's see...

Checking back, I got him a ton of Shara books (Michael and Jeff both) on the Civil War, plus Gone for Soldiers and Training Ground for the Mexi-merican War.

jamesharp2233

Quote from: IICptMillerII on July 30, 2019, 02:18:16 PM
I haven't read much on the Mexican-American war personally as it doesn't interest me too much, but I have a friend who really likes the period and is very well read on it. He recommends So Far From God and says it is the best book on the subject. A Wicked War focuses on the anti-war movement, and A Glorious Defeat is a history of Mexico up to and through the conflict and helps to add a lot of context.

That's what he tells me at least. Hope that helps some!
The amazing thing is war. It seems that so many years have passed, and the peoples are still quarreling and killing each other. I am reading jude the obscure now, found https://freebooksummary.com/category/jude-the-obscure for this. And as soon as I finish, I will immediately go to this book. Surprisingly, I know almost nothing about this war, I remember only general moments of history. I do not know the details, I would like to study everything.
I will definitely read your friend's recommendation.
I have been working for an IT company for over 7 years. I am a front end developer and I love what I do. I also try to travel when I have time.