Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis > Modelling and Miniatures

Airbrush?

(1/3) > >>

Nefaro:
Been debating picking up an airbrush because using a rattle can to prime a bunch of minis, in one go, is not always an option where I'm at.  I also have so many to paint that priming with a brush takes up too much time.

Couple questions for those who already do so:

1)  Does it save you a lot of time over doing it manually, including clean-up of the airbrush after every session?  Or just a little?

2) Which airbrush do you consider the best price-to-performance value? 

I've eyed the Ikawas and a Paasche.  At the moment I'm leaning more toward the Paasche because it seems to be a good price for the value (around $83 right now), and the mid-level Ikawa is around $100.  Anyone have experience with either of these?

bbmike:
Watching with interest. I've been eyeing the Iwata-Medea NEO TRN 1 Trigger Airbrush for over a year now.

Ubercat:
In my limited experience priming by airbrush is pretty fast and efficient. The need to clean the equipment afterwards is a PitA, but increasingly mitigated by greater volumes of minis requiring priming.

The airbrush is my best option in the winter as I can do it indoors without the fumes. Otherwise I generally use a can in the garage.

Silent Disapproval Robot:
I ended up buying an airbrush last year.  I got one of the detail brushes (Harder & Steenbeck 0.2mm) and it's really handy for some things but I just don't have the skill to use it to its fullest.  I find it saves me a lot of time for painting things like 15mm armour and 1:300 scale ships but for doing things like 28mm figures, I don't get much use out of it.

If you're mainly going to use it for priming, it doesn't save a lot of time but it does give you a much better coat. It's also great for adding zenithal highlights which lessens the need for shading.

Make sure you get one with a larger needle (0.4mm or more) as the fine ones (0.2mm or less) won't give you the coverage you need for quick priming. 

JudgeDredd:

--- Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2019, 10:58:02 AM ---Watching with interest. I've been eyeing the Iwata-Medea NEO TRN 1 Trigger Airbrush for over a year now.

--- End quote ---
Just get it. It's a fantastic airbrush and gives you fantastic control.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version