Bummer, finally caught up on my reading...........

Started by undercovergeek, August 09, 2012, 03:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

FWIW, the original Swords trilogy by Fred Saberhagen isn't a bad read either.  Fantasy, not historical, but quite entertaining.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

^
True! And several other writers have written stories in the Bersekerverse as well. Also, many of the Keith Laumer 'Bolo' stories are great reads as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

You guys are killing me with all these book recommendations.  How in the world am I suppose to read all of this.  :)  My list of books to read keeps growing exponentially.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 13, 2012, 09:24:03 PM
You guys are killing me with all these book recommendations.  How in the world am I suppose to read all of this.  :)  My list of books to read keeps growing exponentially.

It helps when you started back in the seventies and eighties... ;) Of course, the corollary to that is I've probably forgotten enough of the scifi I've read that it'd all seem new again if I read it now...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

It does help that most of you have a big head start on me.  It wasn't until after graduating college that I really began to appreciate reading.  It also doesn't help that I am such a slow reader.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Shelldrake

Kind of like my list of games that I have to play!  ;D
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 13, 2012, 09:35:52 PM

It helps when you started back in the seventies and eighties... ;) Of course, the corollary to that is I've probably forgotten enough of the scifi I've read that it'd all seem new again if I read it now...

True dat...although some of the real classics, such as Dune and Foundation Trilogy, I have read several times over the years and still enjoy them.

One series both I and Mrs bob are hooked on is the Foriegner series by C.J.Cherryh, and you can't go wrong with Iain.M.Banks' Culture books :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!