Hey Jarhead, what's your opinion of Vincent Bugliosi?

Started by Toonces, January 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I've read a couple of his books (And the Sea Will Tell and Outrage) and just started Reclaiming History, about the Kennedy assassination.  I've enjoyed the books of his I've read, and he seems pretty competent as a lawyer (from his books).

I'm curious your thoughts as someone in the field (and others' opinions, of course).
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm afraid I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he was the prosecutor who tried Charles Manson for the Tate murders. I would say that he was probably a very good trial attorney as his record of convictions/guilty verdicts while he was with the LA district attorneys office is close to 100% and he got Manson for murder on circumstantial evidence, so that was a great accomplishment from a legal perspective.

That being said, I haven't read any of his books. Do you recommend them?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

I really enjoyed the two I read so far.  I'm not sure if reading a book where a lawyer explains how and why he would prosecute a case would be interesting to you, though.  Since all of that is unfamiliar to me I find it fascinating.

Outrage was really good.  I think I read it two or three times, and I'm probably about due for a re-read later this year.

I downloaded Helter Skelter to my Kindle for my upcoming trip.  I'll be sure to post impressions after I read it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm always interested in reading about trials since there is always something new to learn from skilled practitioners. Although a significant portion of my practice is focused on litigation, very few of my cases ever go to trial...as a result, every time I do have a trial, I really have to dust off the books, clean off the cobwebs and focus. I also get nervous since its not something I do a lot of. I actually have one scheduled for next Friday. Its a ridiculous dog custody case that has been going on for over 4 years. Interesting issues of law, but stupid that people have been fighting over a dog for so long. The dumb mutt is almost 13.

If you're interested in legal books and film, I highly recommend two films/books in particular. One, with Jimmy Stewart and George C. Scott call Anatomy of a Murder. Stewart's advocacy in the trial sequences is really something for the record books. Also, Paul Newman in the Verdict. Another film that gets a lot of aspects of trial lawyering right. The witness and evidentiary issues, the stresses and frustrations of things going wrong, its really palpable. Newman lays it all on the line in the courtroom. just simply great stuff.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

besilarius

Totally out of curiousity,  what is your feeling about Scott Turow and his novels?
Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford made a pretty good movie.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.