China Rising - A Victoria II w/ A House Divided AAR

Started by OJsDad, August 11, 2012, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on August 17, 2012, 04:32:13 PM
The Palace is not only filled with activity over his wedding, but that of his sisters also.  In fact, Lilly has been personally making sure that her brothers wedding happens on time, as I've told her she cannot get married until after her brother.  Of course, according to Rose, I'm not better with my constant dropping of hints about lacking grandchildren.  I tell her I do no such thing, and since I'm the Emperor, I cannot be wrong about that.  With that, she just rolls her eyes at me.  I'm tempted to ask her if there is a problem with her eyes or if it is just old age, but frankly, I'm just too scared of her.
Great stuff OJsDad!  I especially love the little personal touches like the above paragraph; they definitely add some nice flavor to the story.  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Thanks for the thumbs up Martok.

Sorry I haven't done an update for awhile, but life has been very busy.  Aution at my grandparents, birthday parties, school board, school open house, start of school, soccer practice, etc.  I should be able to post an update tomorrow night.  I would tonight, but its the start of high school football here.

As a side note.  I was playing some last weekend, when I ran into a problem.  There are two events that fire when Russia makes Manchuria a member of its Sphere of Influence.  The one says that the allies have burned the summer palace in Peking and the second one gives Russia a number of territores of Manchuria.  I would not have a problem with that, except that I was not at war with anyone, little lone losing one.  So I had to made a modification that kept the game from firing those events.  If I knew how to modifiy them so they would only fire if I was at war, I would, but not sure.  In fact, the one looked like it should only fire if I'm at war.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

30 Jun 1890

I stand at top of the steps leading up to the Hall of Supreme Harmony watching the endless moving mass of people moving along the path way leading first from the Meridian Gate, and then through the Gate of Supreme Harmony.  This is the fourth and final night of this endless parade.  Except for commanding a force awaiting to ambush an enemy in the field, I have never heard such a large group of people gathered in one place be so quite.  My mind begins to drift back to the last few years.  It feels like it was such a blur, but yet it is crystal clear.

It started on 1 Oct 1883, when the Netherlands declared war, with the goal of taking Chinese Singapore away from us.  Our so called allies, Luang Prabang, Da Nam, and Burma, our so called allies, all turned their backs on us.  Our fellow Chinese states and our satellites of Korea and Tibet though stood strong with us.  The Dutch quickly knew they had made a mistake, as they mobilized their reserves.  The war was not very intensive, but long lasting.  The Russian Empire intervened on our behalf, though we did not ask for nor need their help.  It took a while, but the Dutch agreed to a peace treaty in May of 1855.  Of course, by then, the Dutch were in three or four other wars with others smelling blood in the water.

Our formal allies were quick to try and regain the alliances with us that they had failed to honor.  We could not allow their dishonor to stand.  Thus on 21 Aug 1887, we declared war on Da Nam.  Their army was almost nonexistent and thus it was just a matter of taking control of their providences.  With so much jungle, it took a while, even with our fellow Chinese states assisting.  But on 28 Nov 188, we had annexed Da Nam.

During this time, we continued making the reforms and changes to move China into what the rest of the world refers to as Civilized nation.  We, as a country, knew were doing the right thing, even though those that belong to a group known as The Righteous Society of Harmonious Fists and some other smaller groups of reactionaries tried to stop us, even with the force of arms.

Yesterday, I was able to push the last of those reforms through.  This would normally have been cause for great celebration, except for the death of my father two days earlier.  The one thing he wanted to accomplish in this life, and he missed seeing it by two days.  There are those, my mother included, that believe we were only able to get the last set of reforms through at this time because of his death.  The resistance that those opposed to this direction crumbled.  By the time they may be able to reassembly their allies, it will be much too late.

There is still much work to do.  The armies we inherited from the other Chinese states will be worthless rabble.  They will be disbanded and reformed as regular units.  We will also be forming cavalry, artillery, engineering, and dragoon units to join both the new and existing armies.  The navy will also need to be expanded and naval bases constructed to support them.

We will also need to start getting our people to invest in the construction of new factories and railroads to grow our economy.  I know once the ball gets rolling, we will climb to the top of the world economies.  Our researchers are concentrating on improving our educational  institutions.

Tonight is the fourth night of morning.  In the morning, we bury father.  The next day, I will assume the throne.  I've trained my whole life to prepare myself for becoming emperor, but it is something that I wish I could delay.  But that is a choice I no longer have.  Mother says that I'm ready.  And if I should doubt myself, well, then I just need to suck it up buttercup.  I'm not sure what a buttercup is, but if it's coming from mother, I'm guessing it is something weak.  She also says not to worry, that she will be around for years to come, and she will be happy to give me words of encouragement whenever I need them.  On second thought, as Emperor, I could always have her sent to some monastery in, say, Mongolia.  That would work, except for the little fact that she is the most popular member of the family, so there is no telling how the people would react, not to mention my own wife and children.  I don't think I would ever sleep again. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Another well-done entry.  Keep up the good work! 

Having not played Vicky 2, I have to ask:  Do rulers, in fact, die during the game?  Or was that part added by you to enhance the AAR's story aspect? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on August 26, 2012, 02:35:29 AM
Another well-done entry.  Keep up the good work! 

Having not played Vicky 2, I have to ask:  Do rulers, in fact, die during the game?  Or was that part added by you to enhance the AAR's story aspect?

There are no actual rulers in V2, it is just part of my AAR to enhance the story.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

jomni

Fabulous entry.  Though you were inconsistent with the "years" (i.e. Dutch peace at 1855, annex Da Nam at 188?) in your recent post but the general flow is easily understood.

OJsDad

Hey guys.  I finally had time/energy to fire up this game again.  I played through several years, and to be hones't, it's pretty much at a stalemate.  China is the #2 Great Power in the world (GB is #1).  China is #1 in military and #2 in military.  With all of the interlocking alliances, there isn't much chance of any real wars anymore. 

So, I'm calling it quits.  I think I would like to try Prusssia now.

A few thoughts on the new A House Divided expansion;

I like the new way for uncivializations can become civilized.  The old way relied to much on prestige, which you could really only get with military victory.

The new war justification system is great.  This gives a lot of variety in the Infamy points you can get for declaring war.  I wish more games would put more variables into their game play, ie, not everyone gets the same benefits when they develop tanks, education advances, etc.

besilarius

OJD, this was a fine AAR, and thank you for carrying it so far forward.  I enjoyed it a lot.

If you decide on a new one, Prussia would be interesting, but so could Austria and Russia.
Each one has different strengths and weaknesses, although Prussia's strength is obviously her military.
Best of luck whenever you decide to try another.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

Quote from: besilarius on November 07, 2012, 06:53:45 PM
OJD, this was a fine AAR, and thank you for carrying it so far forward.  I enjoyed it a lot.

If you decide on a new one, Prussia would be interesting, but so could Austria and Russia.
Each one has different strengths and weaknesses, although Prussia's strength is obviously her military.
Best of luck whenever you decide to try another.

Thanks Besilarius.  I'm goint to try Prussia and see if I can form Germany.  I also plan on trying Austria and Russia at some point.  I haven't tried it with A House Divided yet, but I want to give Mexico a shot also. 

Martok

Great AAR, man.  If you wind up doing one for Prussia, I'll definitely read it!