Author Topic: Field of Glory II - Medieval announced!  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
Re: Field of Glory II - Medieval announced!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
What is Pitch of Prestige?
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
  • Giudecca in the hell of unknowing
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »
^ Get yourself a thesaurus homeboy.
It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Offline Boggit

• Landsknecht
  • Review Scribe, Editor Muneris of the Colosseum
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
I bought the game yesterday. The mechanics and gameplay are very much like the original which suits me, and as usual the attention to detail, production values, beautiful playing pieces, and interface intuitiveness is really impressive.

I do prefer the dynamic campaigns found in Pike and Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai  compared to FOG2 and Medieval, although unit limits can be a bit of a pain. Aside from the campaigns, like FoG 2, I agree with you, it is a solid, beautiful looking game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2021, 06:56:11 PM »
Dude I just got ‘Pitch of Prestige.’ I am ashamed.

- Toonces

Offline IICptMillerII

• Viking
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:46 PM »
Yeesh... two wargames release this month and I have yet to buy any of them. (the two being War on the Sea and Fog: Medieval) Guess I'm going to lose my grog card.

How are people enjoying Medieval? I plan on getting it eventually, but I might wait for the first content pack to come out. I am personally much more interested in Classical warfare than Medieval, and the lack of Byzantines in the game doesn't help either. But I do love the system they have created in FoG, as well as their model of expanding their games to include more eras and armies so I do want to support the devs.

Plus, I am still holding out hope that we eventually get a FoG: Napoleon, though I know it is a few years away if they ever do it.

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 10:45:21 PM »
I think the game is incredible and I've been enjoying it a lot so far.  However, I'm the opposite of you - I much prefer medieval settings and combat over classical era, so for me, Field of Glory II and the medieval era are a match made in grog heaven.

FoG: Napoleon would be even better.   :dreamer:
It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »
New dlc coming…..

Field of Glory II: Medieval returns with its second DLC "Swords and Scimitars". Set in the 11th to 13th centuries AD, the game focuses on the Crusades and the Byzantine Empire’s decline from their previously strong 11th century position.

In 1071, the Empire suffered a catastrophic defeat at the hands of the Seljuq Turks at the Battle of Manzikert. These recently converted, islamic nomads took nearly all of Anatolia under Alp Arslan’s expert leadership.

As the Byzantine Emperor Alexios Komnenos struggled, an appeal to the west for mercenary support was seized upon by Pope Urban II. In 1095 he called for a Crusade both to recover holy land and to further his own ends at the Council of Clermont.

The timing was fortuitously right, as the mighty Seljuq Empire had begun to fragment, allowing the First Crusade to eventually capture Jerusalem in 1099. The creation of “Crusader States” following on from this success would lead to two centuries of bitter conflict.

Several major Crusades were to follow, as the Crusader states fought for their existence against a succession of resurgent Islamic states.

Meanwhile, further East, a far greater threat to Islamic civilisation was emerging. The rapidly expanding Mongols had destroyed the Khwarazmian Shahdom by 1231, the Christian kingdom of Georgia in 1239, and the Seljuqs were defeated and forced into vassaldom by 1243.

In 1258 the Assassins of Alamut, and the vestigial remains of the once great Abbasid Caliphate, had also been conquered. Only the Mamluks of Egypt were able to finally bring the Mongol advance to an end, with their victory at Ain Jalut in 1260.

In the Balkans the Byzantine Empire had retained some of its former glory until 1204, when the Fourth Crusade broke the back of the Empire, leaving them a minor state shattered into four fragments.

These are the backgrounds, stories and wars that lead to the new DLC, which will include:

20 more nations and factions covering South Eastern Europe and the Middle East from 1040 AD to 1270 AD. These include Arabs (Syria/Iraq), Armenians (Cilician), Bulgarians, Byzantines (Main Empire, also Nikaia, Epiros and Trebizond), Crusaders, Cypriots (Lusignan Kingdom), Dailami, Fatimid Egyptians, Georgians, Ghaznavids, Ghurids, Indians (Rajput, other Hindu, Muslim), Khwarazmians, Latin States in Greece, Mamluk Egyptians, Mongols (Ilkhanids), Pechenegs, Seljuq Turks, Serbians and Syrian States.
35 more units (11 brand new, 24 new to Medieval), allowing the troops of all of the new factions to be accurately represented.
41 more army lists allowing historically realistic armies for each of the above factions and their allies at different dates during the period.
8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period on an epic scale. These include Manzikert 1071, Dorylaeum 1097, Ascalon 1099, Sirmium 1167, Arsuf 1191, La Forbie 1244, Homs 1281 and Kili 1299.
4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: Alexios Komnenos, The First Crusade, Manuel Komnenos, Saladin.
Sandbox campaign expanded to include all the new army lists.
Time Warp custom battles modules expanded to include all the new army lists.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »
It's like they read my mind and are putting together dlc I cannot resist...

- Toonces

Offline CJReich46

• Viking
  • His Mind Is NOT for Rent
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
It's like they read my mind and are putting together dlc I cannot resist...

:-"
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all.”  - James Graham 1st Marquess of Montrose

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »
Still holding out hope for a FoG: Medieval Empires title :(

- MengJiao

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2021, 02:31:30 PM »
Me too. I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

- Toonces

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 04:39:18 PM »
September 23 is release date of the dlc

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 06:41:08 PM »
 <:-) Saw that earlier today!

- Toonces