Field of Glory II - Medieval announced!

Started by Jarhead0331, October 15, 2020, 02:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Boggit

Quote from: z1812 on February 06, 2021, 11:06:22 AM
I bought the game yesterday. The mechanics and gameplay are very much like the original which suits me, and as usual the attention to detail, production values, beautiful playing pieces, and interface intuitiveness is really impressive.

I do prefer the dynamic campaigns found in Pike and Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai  compared to FOG2 and Medieval, although unit limits can be a bit of a pain. Aside from the campaigns, like FoG 2, I agree with you, it is a solid, beautiful looking game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Dude I just got 'Pitch of Prestige.' I am ashamed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

Yeesh... two wargames release this month and I have yet to buy any of them. (the two being War on the Sea and Fog: Medieval) Guess I'm going to lose my grog card.

How are people enjoying Medieval? I plan on getting it eventually, but I might wait for the first content pack to come out. I am personally much more interested in Classical warfare than Medieval, and the lack of Byzantines in the game doesn't help either. But I do love the system they have created in FoG, as well as their model of expanding their games to include more eras and armies so I do want to support the devs.

Plus, I am still holding out hope that we eventually get a FoG: Napoleon, though I know it is a few years away if they ever do it.

al_infierno

I think the game is incredible and I've been enjoying it a lot so far.  However, I'm the opposite of you - I much prefer medieval settings and combat over classical era, so for me, Field of Glory II and the medieval era are a match made in grog heaven.

FoG: Napoleon would be even better.   :dreamer:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

New dlc coming.....

Field of Glory II: Medieval returns with its second DLC "Swords and Scimitars". Set in the 11th to 13th centuries AD, the game focuses on the Crusades and the Byzantine Empire's decline from their previously strong 11th century position.

In 1071, the Empire suffered a catastrophic defeat at the hands of the Seljuq Turks at the Battle of Manzikert. These recently converted, islamic nomads took nearly all of Anatolia under Alp Arslan's expert leadership.

As the Byzantine Emperor Alexios Komnenos struggled, an appeal to the west for mercenary support was seized upon by Pope Urban II. In 1095 he called for a Crusade both to recover holy land and to further his own ends at the Council of Clermont.

The timing was fortuitously right, as the mighty Seljuq Empire had begun to fragment, allowing the First Crusade to eventually capture Jerusalem in 1099. The creation of "Crusader States" following on from this success would lead to two centuries of bitter conflict.

Several major Crusades were to follow, as the Crusader states fought for their existence against a succession of resurgent Islamic states.

Meanwhile, further East, a far greater threat to Islamic civilisation was emerging. The rapidly expanding Mongols had destroyed the Khwarazmian Shahdom by 1231, the Christian kingdom of Georgia in 1239, and the Seljuqs were defeated and forced into vassaldom by 1243.

In 1258 the Assassins of Alamut, and the vestigial remains of the once great Abbasid Caliphate, had also been conquered. Only the Mamluks of Egypt were able to finally bring the Mongol advance to an end, with their victory at Ain Jalut in 1260.

In the Balkans the Byzantine Empire had retained some of its former glory until 1204, when the Fourth Crusade broke the back of the Empire, leaving them a minor state shattered into four fragments.

These are the backgrounds, stories and wars that lead to the new DLC, which will include:

20 more nations and factions covering South Eastern Europe and the Middle East from 1040 AD to 1270 AD. These include Arabs (Syria/Iraq), Armenians (Cilician), Bulgarians, Byzantines (Main Empire, also Nikaia, Epiros and Trebizond), Crusaders, Cypriots (Lusignan Kingdom), Dailami, Fatimid Egyptians, Georgians, Ghaznavids, Ghurids, Indians (Rajput, other Hindu, Muslim), Khwarazmians, Latin States in Greece, Mamluk Egyptians, Mongols (Ilkhanids), Pechenegs, Seljuq Turks, Serbians and Syrian States.
35 more units (11 brand new, 24 new to Medieval), allowing the troops of all of the new factions to be accurately represented.
41 more army lists allowing historically realistic armies for each of the above factions and their allies at different dates during the period.
8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period on an epic scale. These include Manzikert 1071, Dorylaeum 1097, Ascalon 1099, Sirmium 1167, Arsuf 1191, La Forbie 1244, Homs 1281 and Kili 1299.
4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: Alexios Komnenos, The First Crusade, Manuel Komnenos, Saladin.
Sandbox campaign expanded to include all the new army lists.
Time Warp custom battles modules expanded to include all the new army lists.

Gusington

It's like they read my mind and are putting together dlc I cannot resist...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2021, 07:22:49 PM
It's like they read my mind and are putting together dlc I cannot resist...

:-"
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

Still holding out hope for a FoG: Medieval Empires title :(

- MengJiao

Gusington

Me too. I don't think it's too much to ask.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Field of Glory II: Medieval - Storm of Arrows Releases February 10th

Gusington

Link: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/field-of-glory-ii-medieval-storm-of-arrows

Info:

From the early fourteenth century the battlefield dominance of the mounted knight was increasingly challenged by the rising power of the foot soldier. The Flemish spearmen at Courtrai in 1302, and the Scots at Bannockburn in 1314, showed that steady foot could defeat mounted knights. However, it was the English use of massed longbowmen combined with dismounted men-at-arms that would come to dominate western European battlefields for the rest of the 14th century and well into the 15th.

During the Hundred Years War, from 1337 to 1453, the French knights suffered a string of catastrophic defeats at the hands of this combination. After Crécy in 1346, the French knights were largely forced to fight on foot, to minimise their vulnerability to the arrow storm. Eventually, by avoiding pitched battles and concentrating on capturing important cities and castles, the French won the war and expelled the English from nearly all of their continental territories.

English longbowmen also ventured to Italy and Spain as mercenaries or allies, but warfare in these countries continued to develop rather differently from the rest of Western Europe. Italy in this period was still a collection of small independent states. The communal militia infantry had declined in importance, and had been replaced by the Condottieri as the main strength of Italian armies. These were mercenary captains who were hired to provide a company of professional armoured cavalry, and sometimes infantry.

In Spain the large Christian kingdoms of Aragon, Castile and Portugal shared the Iberian peninsula with the Muslim kingdom of Granada. In addition to fighting each other and many civil wars, there was occasional conflict with the Islamic North African powers. Spanish men-at-arms still usually fought mounted, while light cavalry continued to be more numerous than elsewhere due to the influence of warfare against Muslim armies.

Meanwhile the Swiss cantons were asserting their independence from feudal rule. Initially their massed infantry columns relied on the murderous halberd and an intimate knowledge of their own mountainous terrain.

Further east, the Teutonic Knights continued to battle against the pagan Lithuanians, but in 1386 Grand Duke Jogaila of Lithuania converted to Christianity and became King of Poland through marriage to the heiress Jadwiga. This removed the religious rationale for the Order's activities in the region, and gave their enemy a huge boost in military potential. The Teutonic Order suffered a major defeat at the hands of Jogaila and his Polish-Lithuanian army at the Battle of Grunwald (Tannenburg) in 1410. The Golden Horde continued to dominate the Rus principalities, but the first stirrings of change occurred in 1380 when the Mongols were defeated at Kulikovo.

During the fourteenth century gunpowder artillery was introduced throughout Europe, and became increasingly important. Initially, large bombards were mainly used for siege work, but gradually smaller guns began to be employed in field battles as well.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd