Main Menu

HP Reverb G2

Started by Yskonyn, October 18, 2020, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

It turns out that the connector wasn't fully inserted into the head set. I pushed and pushed and wiggled that damn thing and it wouldn't go in any further ... until it finally did after two days of trying. And I just figured it out mere minutes before having to turn off the PC and go to work.

Ridiculously poor design.  :tickedoff:
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

The connector is quite stiff to get in but also prone to wiggle itself loose over time if you have some pressure on the cable from the side of the headset.
Make sure its seated correctly and make sure the cable has enough play when guiding it to the side and you should be fine.

@Jarhead, havent come across that suggestion yet. Will try.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Definitely let me know if you notice any improvement. You can never tell if it's all in the imagination!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 12, 2021, 06:55:54 AM
Definitely let me know if you notice any improvement. You can never tell if it's all in the imagination!

Don't knopw if we've discussed this any further, but I don't seem to experience any difference in performance by forcing DX11 in SteamVR.

On another note; I've found a RTX3080Ti for 1600,- and received a nice monetary gift, so I could pay pretty close to MSRP myself and decided to go for it. It's also the model I was eyeing, so more power to me! It should arrive this evening. Probably will be able to install it tomorrow. I will have to change the PSU as well, so its a finnicky task all in all.
Going from a Corsair M550 to a RM850x to power the 3080Ti.

Looking forward to see the performance gains across the board. Especially curious about how it will improve my Reverb G2 experience.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 05, 2021, 02:04:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 12, 2021, 06:55:54 AM

Don't knopw if we've discussed this any further, but I don't seem to experience any difference in performance by forcing DX11 in SteamVR.

On another note; I've found a RTX3080Ti for 1600,- and received a nice monetary gift, so I could pay pretty close to MSRP myself and decided to go for it. It's also the model I was eyeing, so more power to me! It should arrive this evening. Probably will be able to install it tomorrow. I will have to change the PSU as well, so its a finnicky task all in all.
Going from a Corsair M550 to a RM850x to power the 3080Ti.

Looking forward to see the performance gains across the board. Especially curious about how it will improve my Reverb G2 experience.

Nice! I'm curious too. The crazy thing is that you might not notice much a difference in DCS. You just never know. For instance, I didn't notice much difference in going from the 2080ti to the 6900xt, and the 6900 is a much more powerful gpu.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Yeah DCS is horribly optimized. It still isnt a multi core application which is what causes bottlenecks all over. This should become much less of a problem when they switch to the Vulkan API. Until then we're on crutches.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 05, 2021, 06:57:07 AM
Yeah DCS is horribly optimized. It still isnt a multi core application which is what causes bottlenecks all over. This should become much less of a problem when they switch to the Vulkan API. Until then we're on crutches.

Has ED given any  estimate on when that switch is going to happen? And don't say two weeks....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I'll say one thing: v2.5 and merge.  :-X ;D

Yskonyn

After having battled with VR crashes in DCS for three days it seems they were tied to pagefile settings being too low. No crashes since.
What happened was that either SteamVR crashed with a critical error after mission load, or DCS would crash on 'waiting for pooled tasks' in its loading screen.
Perhaps others can use this info.

Anyway, upping the swapfile allowance to 64GB fixed it, it seems. DCS also caused windows to immediately allocate 40GB of it, despite my system having 32GB ram.

VR runs very well now on high settings in DCS with 2x MSAA and 100% scale in SteamVR, PD1.0 in DCS.
Super happy and finally getting in love with the experience.
Only took an RTX3080Ti to get there... 🤣

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 14, 2021, 09:41:12 AM
After having battled with VR crashes in DCS for three days it seems they were tied to pagefile settings being too low. No crashes since.
What happened was that either SteamVR crashed with a critical error after mission load, or DCS would crash on 'waiting for pooled tasks' in its loading screen.
Perhaps others can use this info.

Anyway, upping the swapfile allowance to 64GB fixed it, it seems. DCS also caused windows to immediately allocate 40GB of it, despite my system having 32GB ram.

VR runs very well now on high settings in DCS with 2x MSAA and 100% scale in SteamVR, PD1.0 in DCS.
Super happy and finally getting in love with the experience.
Only took an RTX3080Ti to get there... 🤣

Did you see my last post in the DCS thread?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rekim

Be sure to try out OpenVR FSR. From user comments, it appears to improve performance on high-end rigs as much or more than lower spec PCs.

Best performance tweak I have encountered in decades of simming.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rekim on July 14, 2021, 09:56:08 AM
Be sure to try out OpenVR FSR. From user comments, it appears to improve performance on high-end rigs as much or more than lower spec PCs.

Best performance tweak I have encountered in decades of simming.

That's my last post in the DCS thread.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Saw it, but with all the crashing I had to get it stable first before adding more stuff. Definitely will look into it, but I do read it introduces some blurryness.
Performance (in SP at least) is perfectly fine without any tweaks so far and I am loving the clarity. So I am weary of adding blur especially if its only to improve an already great performance. But I'll check it out nonetheless one of these days.