Let's Talk About! The Consolidated Super thread

Started by Jarhead0331, January 29, 2021, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

There is a VASSAL module for it.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Fires_of_Midway

You might also want to have a look at https://www.fightingflattops.com/.  Free to play, browser based, PBEM game of carrier battles in the Pacific.  Good times.

steve58

I've always meant to check out Fighting Flattops, but something else always distracted me.  Thanks for the reminder!  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

matt3916

Sooner -- Can't give you any details about JTS Midway.  But if you search YouTube for "JTS Midway", you'll find a couple of two plus hour videos (again, no idea about the quality).

Jarhead0331

For me, it's got to be the Battle of Crete. Something about the first full scale military airborne invasion really captures my imagination.  As for gaming, it also seems to be the perfect size for me from an operational and strategic perspective. The objectives are clear and the OOB is easy to understand. There aren't too many games out there that focus on or have scenarios for the battle of Crete, but some obvious standouts are JTS North Africa 41 and the TOAW series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GroggyGrognard

I've had a fascination with Case Blue and Operation Uranus. Army Group South fighting a campaign in southern Russia during 1942 and the Soviet counter-offensive going into 1943 has always been my favorite WW2 theater. It makes for fantastic wargames on multiple scales--tactical, operational, and strategic. My favorite wargames for this campaign are: Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2-Stalingrad from GMT Games, ASL, and SCS Stalingrad Pocket 2nd Edition from The Gamers. Of all of these, I've played Masahiro Yamazaki's Stalingrad Pocket the most. Simple, but brilliant game. Back in the 90's a wargame buddy of mine and I played a couple of short scenarios of OCS Enemy at the Gates from The Gamers, but we never pursued this game further. Eventually, I would like to play the monster OCS Case Blue from The Gamers. But, hey, one can always dream, right?

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

JasonPratt

Oddly, I don't have a favorite WW2 battle -- I like so many of them, I could almost say my favorite is whatever I'm reading or playing or watching at the moment!

Thus I don't think this entry should really count for the contest, btw, since it isn't useful.  O:-) But I wanted to add to JH's list of Cretan Op games, the original sequel to Highway To the Reich (itself formerly Red Devils over Arnhem), Conquest of the Aegean -- eventually repurposed as an expansion (of the same title iirc?) for Command Ops, and currently part of the split CotA package entries for Command Ops2, grouped in Volume 5 "The Cauldron" (along with the North Africa battles and a hypothetical invasion of Malta. The more Greekish things from CotA are collected in Vol 4, "Foothills of the Gods".)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IICptMillerII

Argh... WWII, my old nemesis.

>checks profile picture

Uh...

;D  ;D  ;D

Just wanted to swing by and express my appreciation for this new series! Don't consider me in the running for Sudden Strike 4 though, I already own it!

Wait, its a WWII game? Shi---

Jarhead0331

Thanks again to everyone who participated!

The lucky winner for the second round of Let's Talk About! is Groggy Grognard!

Congrats Grogster. Check your PM for the code.

Stay tuned for the next round!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Round three of Grogheads' new weekly contest has arrived! You know the rules - all you have to do is talk about a particular subject as it relates to our favorite games and after a few days, everyone who posts will be eligible to participate in our drawing. The randomly selected winner will receive a free copy of a game!

But wait, there is more! We've gone absolutely crazy balls here at Grogheads and this week there will be a first prize, a second prize and...wait for it...a third prize too! OMG! We've gone INSANE!

The subject for this week's drawing is - Military firearms, marksmanship, sniping, fieldcraft, etc. So, talk about your favorite military arms or anything involving trained marksmen on the battlefield, as well as games that feature these fearsome force multipliers. Simple!

The randomly selected 1st place winner will receive a free copy of: Sniper Elite V3!

The randomly selected 2nd place winner will receive a free copy of: Sniper Elite V2!

The randomly selected 3rd place winner will receive a free copy of: Sniper Elite V1!

The lucky winners will be selected on February 17!  Good luck!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sniper Elite is a one-trick pony but it's a really good trick!  I'm come to realize that I don't really like playing as a sniper in most PC games, especially multi-player.  I suck at it and I find it kinda dull.  Sniper Elite is the exception.  I chalk it up to the nut cam.

I tend to play as machine-gunners in stuff like Red Orchestra and ArmA.  I also like grenade launchers a lot.  I'd say ArmA is my go-to game for military shooters even though I haven't touched it in years.

For real-world stuff:

I have a love/hate relationship with the venerable C1A1 rifle.  It was the standard battle rifle for the Canadian Armed Forces when I first signed up.  Rugged, easy to care for, accurate, and fun to shoot.  It was also heavy and insanely long.  It also acted as a snag magnet.  With the ridiculous length and 90 degree angles all over the place, it'd get caught up on every single branch, shrub, clump of dirt, or master corporal within walking distance.

The one I hated the most was the ridiculous C1 9mm SMG that we used up until the 90s.  The thing was based on the Brit Sterling SMG and was outdated by the end of WWII.  It felt more like a toy than a real firearm, especially with the giant spring going BOING BOING BOING in your ear when you fired it (Assuming it didn't jam on you...which it always did).  Having the action exposed to the elements meant the thing would get fouled with snow and mud and would never, ever work when required.

Of the firearms I currently own, I'd say my favourites to shoot are:

1) My Walther PPQ Navy SD pistol.  Best trigger I've ever touched, bar none.  I have the M1 version with the Euro style paddle lever mag release.  It took a bit of time to get used to it but now that I am, I love it.  Much better than the 1911 style button release on the M2.

I think the single weapon that I've personally fired that was the most fun is the US Mk 19 40mm full auto grenade launcher.  Ripping of a belt of HE and smoke grenades at 450 rounds/min is chubby inducing.

They're also a lot of fun to use in ArmA. 

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

As far as belt-fed...this is the best I can do in my personal collection.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Here's a shot of one of the FALs compared with my RFB. They both take metric FAL mags.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog