Main Menu

Let's talk tablets

Started by Toonces, April 26, 2021, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

'sup Team Grogheads.

I find myself in the market for a tablet, but I have no idea where to start.

I've gone through at least 3 Kindle Fire's and I'm not interested in going the proprietary Kindle route this time.  Nor iPad, although something like an iPad is more or less what I think I'm looking for.  I am shying away from Kindle because it seems once you go off the Amazon Kindle reservation it gets hard to find apps, etc.  At this point I'd prefer to just run a Kindle app for books.

The primary use would be for reading non-Kindle books and pdfs for work, and surfing the internet while prone in bed balancing a beer on my belly; I have a laptop for any heavy lifting computer work.  If the tablet can play some war games or RPGs on the side, so much the better.

I don't have a specific price in mind, but if we can keep things around $250 or less that would be a good starting point.

I welcome your suggestions.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Had pretty good experience with a Surface for work over the past year - has a hard case back with kickstand.

Down side is only 1 usb port.  Otherwise, I've done plenty of light report work and whatnot on it.

Note: I know this probably doesn't hit the $250 mark by far but perhaps you might luck into a good buy via Craigslist.

Toonces

Ooof.  600 clams is a bit more than I was hoping to spend.  I dunno, maybe it's worth it to just buy once, cry once and be done with it but...dude.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

z1812

Have a look at Samsung Tablets from Best Buy. They have a good selection.

W8taminute

Quote from: z1812 on April 26, 2021, 05:31:09 PM
Have a look at Samsung Tablets from Best Buy. They have a good selection.

I got my Samsung tablet from Best Buy 4 years ago for about 300 bucks.  Still works great and I can game on it. read pdfs, and even have Microsoft Office suite installed on it. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

You can 'jailbreak' the Fire tablets to add the Google Play store. It's not hard to do, just download a few files and install them. Their price is hard to beat and they go on sale a lot. I find the 10 inch Fire to be pretty nice, though none of the Android tablets (including Fire) will be as slick as a fairly new iPad and I always fid myself going back to the latter.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Anguille

There's a good selection of Samsung tablets in that price range.