John Tiller Passed Away

Started by GibbyG, April 28, 2021, 03:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Phantom on April 29, 2021, 09:46:31 AM
I think everyone who's ever wargamed has at least one of his games - I think Battleground Waterloo was one of my first ever computer wargames, sad to see him go.

Yes - I remember staring at the ads for battleground waterloo and Gettysburg. Was a new era in wargames. I bought my first PC just to play them. Jeez - what a friggin shame. Still cant quite believe it. :(
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Boggit

I am truly saddened by the news.  :(

He was a wargaming hero and an inspiration. He gave so much to the development of computer wargames and will be much missed.

I feel for his family and close friends. He was too young by far to die, but he will be remembered with appreciation for all he has done for our hobby.

It can't have been any fun suffering from a brain tumour, so I hope his family can take comfort from his passing being a release from suffering. I sincerely hope he is in a better place now and gaming with his heroes of the past.

RIP John Tiller. You were and remain an inspiration for wargamers throughout the world.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FarAway Sooner

I'm hoping this isn't considered spam, but Mods, please delete if it is.  I got the following e-mail from Wargame Design Studio and thought it worth sharing here.

------------------------------------------

Wargame Design Studio
In Memory of John Tiller

All, I received the following note from John's daughter this week, so wanted to pass it along to you. If you feel inclined to contribute - or maybe even participate in person the information is below.

"May is Brain Cancer Awareness month, and Atlanta is hosting its first annual Race for Hope (organized by the National Brain Tumor Society) in June 2023. The event is a large fundraiser for brain cancer research and treatment. The Race for Hope is also hosted annually in cities including DC, Philadelphia, New Jersey, California, and Boston.

I first ran the Race for Hope last spring in DC, and it was very impactful and moving to see the amount of people (about 10,000) show up in support of this cause. Families and groups participate in memory of loved ones affected by brain cancer. The race also celebrates Survivors of brain cancer and tumors, young and old.

We started a team this year in Dad's honor, called Tiller's Troopers. This June 3rd, the Atlanta race will include myself, Mom (John's wife), my sister, and others. I wonder if you can consider donating and/or spreading the word about the fundraising page.

https://secure.braintumor.org/site/TR?team_id=91439&fr_id=3783&pg=team

Thank you and wishing you the best,
Julia Tiller"

Wargame Design Studio