Galactic Civilizatiions IV

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 11, 2021, 05:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Geezer

Because you can never have too many 4X games!   :)

Edit - Gameplay details:  https://www.galciv4.com/gameplay
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Anguille

Not really sure what to expect (Crusader Kings in space mixed with GalCiv?) but it's going to be fun.

Jarhead0331

There is something about the GalCiv series that always leaves me cold. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they never grab me and they just seem dull, stale and hallow. I'm not expecting much here, but I'll follow development and certainly give it a chance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 11, 2021, 08:11:57 AM
There is something about the GalCiv series that always leaves me cold. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they never grab me and they just seem dull, stale and hallow. I'm not expecting much here, but I'll follow development and certainly give it a chance.
I only played the first one a lot. Didn't manage to really get into 2 or 3.

steve58

Quote from: Geezer on May 11, 2021, 05:25:00 AM
Because you can never have too many 4X games!   :)

Edit - Gameplay details:  https://www.galciv4.com/gameplay

Looks...interesting. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

CJReich46

I have Gal Civ2, and I have played Gal Civ 3 when they did the freebie weekend, it wasn't bad. The newer one had some interesting mechanics.

but let's see what 4 is going to be like. Trailer looked interesting indeed.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

steve58

Sounds like an Alpha build will be available as early as this summer.

Is there going to be a Founder's Program?
No. Because we are making such big changes to the game design, we are going to make an "Alpha" version available as early access this Spring. Note: This won't be like a normal "early access" game where it's basically done. We expect to throw out features and add new features based on feedback and it will intentionally not be feature complete to give us room to incorporate player feedback.

https://www.galciv4.com/faq
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

+1
I spent more time with the first one than any of the others. The follow-ons seemed  to be more of the same that just looked better. If it was a great game, then that would be fine, but they all just seem to have no soul. and they play more like land based games than games set in space.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tanaka

Same. I was hoping for a new Fallen Enchantress over this.

Yskonyn

Stardock even admits that GC3 didn't turn out to be a high flyer.
Many of the crew on the first two games weren't even involved at first. And where GC2 was praised for its 'human-like AI' and its extensive stats to drool over, making theory crafting and strategic guide writing a fairly common thing for that title, GC3 was an attempt to make it 'main stream'. An error many studios have made.
GC3 is not a *bad* game, especially not in its latest incarnation, but its not great either. A fairly classic 4x, which took a turn for the better once Wardell retook control over the project.

It seems that for GC4 all the GalCiv vets of the studio have once again gathered to make it and in a dev diary Wardell specifically states that GC4 will be a game for their more hardcore/classic audience of GC2 fame rather than them expecting GC4 to be a mainstream game again. That's an interesting statement at least.

No founders program, which is a bit a of a bummer, but I understand why they can't do it anymore. There is talk about some kind of 'lifetime' deal however, for those who'd like to splash down a bigger chunk of cash upfront but are then going to get all content for free during the game's lifecycle.
It also reads a little like GC4 might very well be the final GalCiv for a good while.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

CJReich46

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 18, 2021, 08:56:14 AM
Stardock even admits that GC3 didn't turn out to be a high flyer.
Many of the crew on the first two games weren't even involved at first. And where GC2 was praised for its 'human-like AI' and its extensive stats to drool over, making theory crafting and strategic guide writing a fairly common thing for that title, GC3 was an attempt to make it 'main stream'. An error many studios have made.
GC3 is not a *bad* game, especially not in its latest incarnation, but its not great either. A fairly classic 4x, which took a turn for the better once Wardell retook control over the project.

It seems that for GC4 all the GalCiv vets of the studio have once again gathered to make it and in a dev diary Wardell specifically states that GC4 will be a game for their more hardcore/classic audience of GC2 fame rather than them expecting GC4 to be a mainstream game again. That's an interesting statement at least.

No founders program, which is a bit a of a bummer, but I understand why they can't do it anymore. There is talk about some kind of 'lifetime' deal however, for those who'd like to splash down a bigger chunk of cash upfront but are then going to get all content for free during the game's lifecycle.
It also reads a little like GC4 might very well be the final GalCiv for a good while.

I like how they are going to use characters too, plus the sector system. They seem to be looking at what Stellaris did and taking it and giving a better spin.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Against all of my better judgment, I'm tempted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I am tempted as well but think i'll wait for now. I am still learning GalCiv3 right now :-"

eXplorminate (Rob) has already made 2 videos and it looks already very solid for an alpha release.